Author Topic: Is it true we are the 25%  (Read 1445 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Is it true we are the 25%
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 07:08:22 am »
[...] Doctors know from clinical experience withdrawal can last a long time and they also know these drugs can cause long term or permanent damage but like you said no test to prove it so they say it's the return of the invented illness. It's just a way to cover their butt.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 08:08:57 am »
Ashton manual said wd or severity of wd is not related to dose or terms of use.

I'm a proof and saw many other short term users as well. I tried to stop after 5 days use at 2.5mg valium, severe anxiety and insomnia. Ri after 2days, couldn't walk anymore, then tried to cut to half after 4 wks use in total, severe wd. I don't see anyone in the forum is as disabled as I am in many ways.

I think it's highly individual.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 10:47:44 pm »
I'm so mad and scared now I was practically cold turkey off by a doctor who is a family friend because I was out of pills. I now found out he doesn't believe in benzo w/d, knows there is an online community of it but says there is no evidence to back it up. Since he doesn't believe it and is my family's friend they don't believe me.  Aston says people heal in 18 months but that is with a slow taper. I know I can't go back on now but its been 10 months of no real windows. Slight lessoning of some symptoms but I still feel like my old self is a distant memory.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:24 pm »
Unfortunately, there are no studies as to how many people have problems getting off benzos. It's all speculation, IMO. There are those who have tried and then given up and are still on the benzo. There are those who have gotten off but have committed suicide. There are those who are protracted but hide it from doctors (I'm one of them). I knew one BB member here who was on Ativan for 4 weeks, and it took her over a year to recover.

Dr. Lembke of Stanford talked about tolerance and withdrawal. At about 1:58 she talks about the fact that people say 25% have tolerance, but it's not known because it's BEEN ACTIVELY NOT STUDIED, VERY ODDLY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7r_94vyOL4

Many of us have been shunned by doctors or made fun of, laughed at, and other ugly remarks made. We've learned to shut our mouths, and since there are very few people to back us up (one doctor, per Drew, called Professor Ashton an "old bag," I believe), we keep quiet, unfortunately causing this terrible scourge to go on and on and on and on and on...

I don't blame anyone for keeping quiet. It's a rough world in the medical community, and doctors are often impatient, think too highly of themselves, feel that they're right regardless of what a patient says, and follow a herd mentality. What goes for one doctor in a medical group usually goes for all. Doctors who have the courage to step out of line are at times shunned, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:29:24 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 11:23:26 pm »
Keep your head up [...]. 10 months is still a short time compared to others on here. The key here is that you have seen improvement and that's still progress even though it may not seem so.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 11:34:56 pm »
Keep your head up [...]. 10 months is still a short time compared to others on here. The key here is that you have seen improvement and that's still progress even though it may not seem so.

Thanks [...]. I'm trying.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 11:38:18 pm »
I'm so mad and scared now I was practically cold turkey off by a doctor who is a family friend because I was out of pills. I now found out he doesn't believe in benzo w/d, knows there is an online community of it but says there is no evidence to back it up. Since he doesn't believe it and is my family's friend they don't believe me.  Aston says people heal in 18 months but that is with a slow taper. I know I can't go back on now but its been 10 months of no real windows. Slight lessoning of some symptoms but I still feel like my old self is a distant memory.

It's all individual. Just keep to a good diet, keep as even keel mentally as you can, exercise if you're able, and try to be calm.

It's wonderful that you have a slight lessening of some symptoms. Keep that thought in your mind. I know wd and recovery can be quite scary and that negativity rules the roost, but who knows: You could heal quickly from here on out.

Your doctor was utterly clueless, and you've had to pay the price. I'm so, so sorry! Because of the stupid things he said, your family doesn't believe you. They chose to believe a doctor who apparently has not read the newest literature. Look up "Medicating Normal" in the Benzos in the News section. Lapis has put together videos from some of the very savvy doctors, especially Dr. Anna Lembke, from Stanford. She obviously has done her homework and knows what's happening.

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 02:00:16 pm »
I'm not sure I agree with Ashton that long term use does not make it harder.  I am one of the very worst cases and was on them many decades.

Hard to believe length of time your body is used to something does not play a role.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 04:40:13 pm »
I know of 3 people locally who were on Benzos for 10 years or more who just stopped them, had a few weeks of WD and were then fine.

It is so confusing.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 05:34:56 pm »
My friend D had a serious Xanax addiction. He claimed to use benzos daily for around 10 years. He would binge on large amounts (over 20mg) and then just scrape by some days from what it sounded like. I asked him if he had any clean time or if his benzo use was constant, persistent, etc and he said he had no clean time. I have a hard time believing him that he didn't have breaks because most people who binge like he did do but I don't know the truth. I guess I just have to take his word because he is doing better than all of us. Like it never happened. He even drinks his brewskies like they are going out of style. He drinks like a frat boy and still parties like a rock star.

He also used opioids and amphetamine. Used large amounts of cannabis every day and drank alcohol often while using benzos. After I finished my benzo taper I was stuck on gabapentin 1.8g and phenibut 2g for a long time. I remember right before I started tapering off gabapentin he called me a bitch for not stopping everything cold turkey and remaining on these drugs. I told him I was sick and that I struggle tapering these substances and that cold turkey was not an option for me. He quit benzos cold turkey and recovered after two weeks according to him. Didn't even have a bad withdrawal. He is a burly half Irish and Italian guy who looks like he may have Viking blood or something. Like he would have swung the war hammer in an ancient battle field crushing anyone who was unfortunate to cross his path. My father was born in the region where Sparta is and I don't have any special abilities to come off benzos. Maybe I am average in BB as far as WD. We are weak to the outsider's... it sucks that we are in this situation where we have to make threads like this. Are own family members and friends doubt us. Personally, I take what a lot of people say on the protracted board with a grain of salt because it seems like people just blame their depression and everything on benzos. I do think it is related but some stuff isn't. You can't blame every problem in your life on benzos if you have been off them for 10 years.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:49:01 pm by [Buddie] »