Author Topic: Is it true we are the 25%  (Read 1444 times)

[Buddie]

Is it true we are the 25%
« on: December 27, 2019, 02:01:02 am »
I just found a link to a big facebook benzo group from the benzodiazepines information coalition. Its says 75% of people who come off benzos just have flu like symptoms a few weeks. Is that why no doctor will believe this?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Is it true we are the 25%
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 02:30:11 am »
Those who use it max for 2-4 weeks won't have many issues if any. My doctor who wrote a book on the subject told me that they are not sure when the issues start, but he said that from his experience if a patient does 3 months of benzo every day he will experience withdrawal symptoms.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 02:39:13 am »
Need more details. I can believe short-term use will have little symptoms especially on lower doses but I find it hard to believe a single person who has taken benzo longterm to get off that easy unless their CNS is positively mutated. I would think someone  dependent on benzos getting off with just flu-like symptoms is like a flesh wound healing without a scab the next day.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 03:04:08 am »
Stats don't tell you how many people try get off and when symptoms last more than month docs tell them it's not wd and put them back on....their still on!

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 03:10:18 am »
I think it depends on genetics and not necessarily length of use. My neuro told me that and also how you stopped the benzo. I was only 6 weeks use and have had horrific wd, still brutal suffering at 24 months off but i was CTd and reinstated twice and then dragged off on fast taper by a clueless Dr so im kindled.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 03:27:12 am »
Those are short term users. Long term daily exposure damages brains and nervous systems.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 03:55:16 am »
Well I took benzos for a month, that's pretty short term, yet I am suffering considerably and no less than many long term users on here. Many long term users can function by now, or never had to stop working, and I've been in torturous nonfunctional hell since day 1. I must be the 0.5%.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 04:19:00 am »
[...] Suffering with what symptoms?. I don't know any long term users that can function or work but know most short term users are working and functioning.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 04:41:32 am »
All symptoms I listed on my sig is still present today.
monopobia agoraphobia
Paranoia
Extreme Dr dp
Cognitive issues with memory loss, short term memory issues, executive function cannot plan, make decisions
No concept of time
Brain fog
Insomnia with short bursts of rem nightmares
Back pain

I am completely debilitated with these symptoms which started while I was on benzos and morphed did into full force once I came off.

Maybe I am unlucky. Maybe it was my erratic taper. Maybe it's my genetics. Anyhow, I got hit with this and I am definitely worse off than many short term AND long term,

Sorry I don't want to hijack the thread.

But I don't believe the feedback loop is good with doctors. For example doctor learns in med school that bwd lasts 2 weeks, just avoids seizures. Doctor prescribes benzos for anxiety. Patient takes it for a while, feels "better", comes off and comes to doctor with "anxiety like" symptoms 3 weeks later, is doctor going to believe this is still withdrawal? Nope. It's not consistent with what doctor learned. There's no test to prove it. So it's gotta be the original condition.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 06:23:04 am »
PTSD, you are not alone.  There are many cases of people taking benzos for a short term period like yourself and having severe symptoms.  The truth is we don't know why this happens.