Need short-term advice, involuntary withdrawal

[Fr...]

Due to incompetence/insurance/situational issues, my Klonopin prescription ran out just before Christmas and no one would help. Knowing I would not get a refill, I dropped to the lowest dose to squeeze out 3 days from a one day dose (1/3 of regular dosage, .25mg). Still not getting help from dr/rx/ etc.

Any help or advice to help make it through until I can do a sit in tomorrow? Symptoms (shakiness, headache, tingling, irregular heartbeat, sleep issues, trouble focusing, brain fog, etc.) getting stronger.  Specifically, any trouble signs to watch for that I should go to the emergency room? Thank you for your help.

Hi FreeJay,

Klonopin has a fairly long half life, 30 to 40 hours, so it will take between 1 and 2 days for half of it to leave your system, you shouldn't be in any danger of seizure.  You're apt to get a lot more uncomfortable, this may cause you some issues with your taper, you may need to stabilize before resuming it.

Do you have someone living with you?

Pamster

I'm glad you're not alone, and I'm not surprised you're feeling uncomfortable since you've greatly reduced your dose.  I hope you can get your medication soon, I know how terrible you feel.  :therethere:

Although I haven't used in 3 years now (yay!) I remember well being in the same predicament ie running out before I could get a refill. What I would do is go to the pharmacy and tell them I was out and they would actually give me a two day supply and told me that was all they could legally give me to hold me over until I talked to my Dr. I did this like three times. I think I told them I lost my last few pills or something. There seems to be a law that states pharmacy's can give you “emergency doses” yet it may be a state by state thing. My state seems to adhere to that policy obviously......else wise my pharmacist wouldnt have doled out the emergency doses. Good luck. I know how difficult running low can be. Terrifying!