Pancreatitis

[Mi...]

Has anyone had pancreatitis that developed or worsened during withdrawal or afterward? I had twinges in my pancreas for years before withdrawal, then it went away during withdrawal, now has come back with a vengeance. The pain is terrible and required one hospitalization. Doctors are no help. Is there any chance it is related to withdrawal and might get better? If not, the outlook is grim. I do not want to get hooked on opiods. I do not drink alcohol or smoke or any of the other usual risk factors. Since the pancreas produces GABA and uses GABA, I wondered if withdrawal was related. Thank you for any help.

MirandaJane

I had stomach pain that I imagined was my pancreas. Not saying yours isn't legit. I went to the ER several times and had an ultrasound done and blood work coming back negative. Went back to the ER and had more blood work and no signs of pancreatitis. What does your pancreas pain feel like exactly? Please describe your symptoms. The more detail the better.

I would go to the hospital because they can tell you right away if it is pancreatic in origin as you already know.

It could just be some other GI related issue. Alot of organs including the stomach sit on top of the pancreas so it's a complete mess trying to self diagnose this.

GI upsets and pain are common in early benzo wd. By early I mean perhaps the first 5 months. I had severe abdominal pain and axctually felt a hard lump in my lower abdomen. I assumed I had a tumor. Well, 2 weeks later the pain went away and so did the lump. It was all benzo wd stuff.

People on bwd tend to become VERY "Dr Google." We assume the worst, as nothing prepared us for the weird stuff benzo wd can cause.

What tests were done to prove it is your pancreas???

I am confused.

east

In June of 2018 I woke up one night with horrible, horrible abdominal pain that radiated to my back. In the emergency room they did blood tests and said my pancreatic enzymes were through the roof. By then, the pain had gone, but they kept me for three days for MRI and other tests, but found nothing unusual. I have had a cyst in my pancreas and similar but milder pain since 2003, but the cyst had not changed in 2018. Then I was okay until early Dec. of 2019 and started having similar, but not as severe pain, but it has lasted more than two weeks and had gotten close to severe. I'm scared, as I know pancreatitis can lead to intolerable pain, diabetes, weight loss and cancer. My doctor said not to worry and gave me oxycodone for pain - like I want to get hooked on something else! I will see a gastroenterologist on Jan. 6, but from what I've read, there's nothing that can be done about pancreatitis. When I started tolerance withdrawal from benzos five years ago I had gastroparesis - which means paralyzed stomach - and lost a lot of weight and had to eat six small meals daily, mostly liquids. After two years, I had gained from 100 lbs to 115, and could eat normally. Gastroparesis was due to withdrawal. But I fear the pancreatitis will always get worse, so I'm hoping it is related to withdrawal, which means it might get better.

Thanks for your responses.

MirandaJane

• 2 years later...

MJ,

Please keep us posted on your prognosis.  I am five months off and also experiencing slow gastric emptying.  I have also had right side pain that I initially thought was my gallbladder but has been ruled out.  They are now looking at my pancreas. I have an appointment on 01/10...

I have not had a pancreatitis attack since that one in 2019. I occasionally have left side pain, but think it is in my bowels. I have given up gluten, which has helped immensely. I still have most of my other symptoms (four and a half years since I jumped). Bad nausea has returned, after a few years of getting better. Fortunately, my doctor prescribes ondansetron for it. Benzo tolerance and withdrawal cause so many symptoms it's hard to tell what is related to withdrawal and what might be something else. I wish you luck.

• 3 weeks later...
I just recently started gabapentin and took it for a week and then I stopped and the day after I stopped I started getting sharp stabbing pain under my right rib cage. I cannot barely eat anything and I'm positive that it's pancreatitis. It's just unlike anything I've ever felt. It's hard to be positive when all these things happen during withdrawal and it's hard to get to the doctor when you feel horrible. I'll keep you updated with my pancreatitis care and you keep us updated God bless you God bless us all

I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis just over two years ago. It turned out that I had high cholesterol. What works for me is a diet that consists of 45 grams of fat a day. I try to stick to 10 grams of fat at breakfast and lunch and 15 grams of fat at dinner with 2 snacks of 5 grams of fat each. I write down everything I eat so I don't go over my allowed fat. I also started taking CanadaDrugs omega 3 with 240mg of EPA and 460mg of DHA. In just over 6 weeks my cholesterol dropped down to normal and the pain was gone.

I had pancreatitis symptoms as well, I think I had a blockage or it was in fact withdrawal.  All systems seem to have turned a corner, still battling constipation one day and loose stools the next.  I will take it over the right side and abdominal pain I had for the past four or five months, it really was misery.

Hope you all are doing better...hang in there!