Restoril (Temezepam) as alternative to Xanax?

[IH...]

I've been on 3mg for almost 15 years and was cut off.... I was looking for toilet paper, and found a bottle of Restoril.

I tried to taper, but by the time I was down to 2.5 (12 days), I was hallucinating, hearing knocking on my doors, and said to hell with it, and just went back to normal. Unfortunately, I'm still going through some of the same damage I had during those days. I'm a fine speller, but I keep typing two consonants  in a rrow (for example), and every time I take my xanax at night, I think to myself "I'm one day closeer (or vowels) to REAL hell", so while it relaxes me a bit, it brings on anxiety at night, and it scares me because although I've been an insomniac my entire life, it scares the heck out of me, because its the worst feeling.

I even texted my ex-therapist, and she was very cold with me and said she was full, and basically "You're not paying me, bye", and then after weeks of deliberation and worrying in anticipation of possibly calling the psychiatrist who coldly cut me off, I thought I should end that quickly by calling her. It's been a week, and she hasn't even replied. She's even worse, and I think she's sadistic. She wanted for me to wean off 15 years of 3mg/night in a month!

I was wondering if anyone has done this. Who knows what happens until I completely run out, but my plan is to substitute the restoril for 3-4 weeks (I know its not a full bottle), and then possibly drink alcohol, which I quit because I thought I was allergic to it, but they say xanax is alcohol in a pill, and if I couldn't handle 2 days of 2.5mg (which is still alot), there's no way on earth I'll be able to do this in an orthodox manner.

If you have any information, I would appreciate it. If I don't reply immediately, don't worry, it's only because my computer is almost dead.

According to this: https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm .5mg Xanax is roughly equivalent to 20mg Restoril, so you’re looking at 100mg to cover 2.5mg of Xanax, or 120mg to cover 3mg.  I’d try less since it does have a longer action, almost twice as long. 

I would, if I were you, try to avoid alcohol.

Best of luck, tough situation to be in.

According to this: https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm .5mg Xanax is roughly equivalent to 20mg Restoril, so you’re looking at 100mg to cover 2.5mg of Xanax, or 120mg to cover 3mg.  I’d try less since it does have a longer action, almost twice as long. 

I would, if I were you, try to avoid alcohol.

Best of luck, tough situation to be in.

Thanks for responding. I think I have about 30-40, and they are 30mg each..... but.... they are 9 years old. What's the worst thing that could be? Less efficacy?

I definitely don't want to try alcohol, but even if those work, it will only last a month, and I have no other choice. The altnerative would be a seizure.

I did a quick search and can only come up with ‘less effective’.

Another alternative is to see if you can find another doctor. After prescribing refills for 15 years, he owes you more than to simply cut you off. You can also go to the local ER in withdrawal and drop his name as the provider who cut you off cold turkey. Or call him and tell him that’s what you plan to do if things get dicey.

I did a quick search and can only come up with ‘less effective’.

Another alternative is to see if you can find another doctor. After prescribing refills for 15 years, he owes you more than to simply cut you off. You can also go to the local ER in withdrawal and drop his name as the provider who cut you off cold turkey. Or call him and tell him that’s what you plan to do if things get dicey.

The health care "system" in my country (US) is medieval. I think I could get in trouble for "doctor-shopping", but this ordeal has forced me to stay inside my house, never leaving, no company, no communication with anyone besides a place like this.

The hospitals probably assume one is some kind of druggie or dealer, but it might have to be an option. It's going to cost thousands, but I don't mind the debt, but I'd hate to wait for 10 hours just to get one dose, and then have to do it all over again the next day.