How to taper off 5mg Valium

[th...]

22. Nov I tried something like Xanax extended release 2x0.5mg for a few days, tried to quit too fast, lots of drama, and failure.

So I started on Valium 5mg 8. des:

I split tablet and take like this:

11:00 1.25mg

17:00 1.25mg

23:00 2.5mg plus Melatonin 2mg

Now I would like to start to taper off of Valium.

Edit: I think the Ashton Manual would recommend to reduce my 17:00 dose and do a 20% total reduction right away. Scary!

I was thinking to do a 5% cut(to 4.75mg) and cut down on my night dose because it feels quite strong.

I know people often do more but I am feeling quite fragile and desperate often and so thought I should do a careful first reduction and see how it goes.

How does that sound? Am I being too careful? Am I making a mistake by cutting the night dose?

I am on a Keto diet since 1. desember. Does that complicate matters?

Any input greatly appreciated!

22. Nov I tried something like Xanax extended release 2x0.5mg for a few days, tried to quit too fast, lots of drama, and failure.

So I started on Valium 5mg 8. des:

I split tablet and take like this:

11:00 1.25mg

17:00 1.25mg

23:00 2.5mg plus Melatonin 2mg

Now I would like to start to taper off of Valium.

Edit: I think the Ashton Manual would recommend to reduce my 17:00 dose and do a 20% total reduction right away. Scary!

I was thinking to do a 5% cut(to 4.75mg) and cut down on my night dose because it feels quite strong.

I know people often do more but I am feeling quite fragile and desperate often and so thought I should do a careful first reduction and see how it goes.

How does that sound? Am I being too careful? Am I making a mistake by cutting the night dose?

I am on a Keto diet since 1. desember. Does that complicate matters?

Any input greatly appreciated!

Hello thebern

Your 5% taper rate sounds ok to start out with. You can always increase this rate once you feel less fragile and desperate if your symptoms are tolerable.

When reading other folks stories, keep in mind that many folks on this forum are sensitive, long term users and experience a host of uncomfortable symptoms. The majority of folks who taper off of benzo do so with minimal symptoms and heal quickly. The  minority are found on this forum so try not to worry about what symptoms you may or may not experience. I would suggest doing a symptom based taper reducing at an amount that you are comfortable with. I see you have only been on benzo a short time. If I were in your shoes, I would not stay on this class of medication any longer than absolutely necessary.

The keto diet should not be an issue.

If you need more help let us know, we are here to help you.

The keto diet should not be an issue.

Do you know people who have been on it and successfully tapered?

Does it usually not make things more difficult?

Hello, thebern.  If you have not already done so, you might consider using the Search function to find past posts about the keto diet.  You could also try posting your questions to:

General Health & Well-being

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=59.0

i have. And my uneducated suspicion: What I have seen makes me suspect it is not a good diet for tapering. My impression is that I see very few success stories. I hear about people that do good on it after they have tapered or very late in their tapering schedule. But I am worried that if I stop that I will get overwhelming problems, like anxiety. I am I think more stable emotionally on the Keto diet.

What I have seen makes me suspect it is not a good diet for tapering.

That's why I would love to hear from more people who have experience with it while tapering, and even before starting tapering.