"Crossing" Xanax to Clonazepam

[Lo...]

Managed to "taper" down to 1.25 of Xan from upwards of 1.5, and there I got "Stuck" - no doubt STAYED stuck till my head deteriorated to unbearable... it got to where the shakes (and S* thinking) were relentless. When the "unmentionable" got too scary, updosing X back to 1.5 made breathing tolerable.

Called Doc, admitted defeat - he suggested "Switching" to Klon. to begin with. Has Px 1.5 mg Klon - probably not enough to "Re-Stabilize" but enough to "work with" till 2020... He agrees the "conversion tables are inconsistent". Some indicate 1:1 substitue, others 1X = .5K. With transparent communication he'll get me out of crisis - thank God for good Doc

Have (in 2 days) learned "Direct Switch" impossible. Rather than go over 2mg K (already told we may have to adjust) when the "Hell" didn't let up found .25 X stopped the shakes etc. He made the switch with enough X left over to deal with that...

What I've read it takes 4 d. to stabilize Klon. level, am being hugely cautious. So far today no "break-through HELL"

Since the "whole mess" descended last summer I've had Ambient "unmentionable ideation" - scariest "depression" (more like walking death) in a long history of 'ouch'... Doc & Therapist want a mood stabilizer on board (lamicatal? maybe for preventing depressive episodes) before anything else changes.

Anyone with experience / insight on this kind of "cross over" I'd welcome hearing from. Am well aware I now face getting off Klon, but from everything I read it might be POSSIBLE. Am either to damaged or wimpy to manage getting past 1.25 of the X.  :-[

PS - I DID NOT KNOW that research confirms Xanax (a "tri-azolam") brutal withdrawal profile. The paper linked (and supporting bibliography) might explain why Doc did not switch me to Diazepam instead.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4021153/

Yes I have switched back and forth between X and K with no issues.  But here is the thing. One time I had an issue.  The Klonopin was manufactured from some off Generic Brand and it was like taking lifesavers. Did not work.  So I researched the best Klonopin Generic Brands

and went with one of those.  Do you know what brand of Klonopin you are on.  I use Accord and have no issues. 

Did not work.  So I researched the best Klonopin Generic Brands

and went with one of those.  Do you know what brand of Klonopin you are on.  I use Accord and have no issues.

THANK YOU!! When you "searched best brands" what criteria did you go by? The type of excipient in 'em or... ?

I have a good pharmacist (the head guy, when I can catch him there) and what you described fits. Didn't help I'd "held" @ 1.25 X till I was back into interdose and probably needed updose. The "fail" on the X may have had something to do with switching to a dif. generic - different die, smaller, much more dnese... might not have been absorbing the same as before. Or simply coulda been X 1/2 life too short, and I'm pretty wimpy.

But it's taking at least 2 mg of the K to hold the shakes off - still figuring the timing It DOES phase off more slowly -and you're right, they taste like wintergreen life savers. The vial says 'TEVA U'

Will have to wait till after holiday, my PCP heart in the right place but smart as a bunny, pDoc is "yoda" but can only see 90 days (damn medicare) pharmacist sharp guy. He'd "get it" in a heart-beat (use info for future patients) the need for reliable pill. I'll simply ask him to get accord (if he'll take the remaining pills back - I don't cheat)

THANK YOU SO MUCH

LC

OK...I figured it out.  Teva just started manufacturing Klonopin again. There are boards on here dedicated to this subject and MANY people are

having problem with the TEVA brand.  From what I have read, they go to Cosco and order the Actavis brand.  Many are getting sick off this Teva Brand.  I used Accord from CVS with no issues.  Check out boards on this new Teva Brand.  Maybe some veterans can chime in here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey lost cause how's the crossover going? Im on Ativan and my doc wants me to switch to clonazepam as well but scared to get withdrawal in the switch