Dry Cutting Clomzapam -need help

[Fi...]

Hi,

I'm struggling on my Clonzapam taper and wanted some advice or perspective.

I currently dose 3x a day.  I take a larger dose at night and 2 smaller, fairly equal doses in the day. 

I use a Gemini scale and a nail file.

Here's what I've been doing.

1. Break the .5mg pill in half and then break one of the halves in half again.

2. To make sure I have accurate doses I will shave down the quarter pieces until I have the weight the daytime doses are supposed to be. 

3. I then use the 1/2 of the pill I haven't broken in half and another small quarter of a piece from my stash of other pieces I've used over these months.  I then shave both of the pieces to get the nightly dose weight.

Should I be using a separate pill 0.5mg pillfor each of those doses?  Meaning one pill for the smaller doses and one separate pill for the night time dose?

I can't do liquid so I'm trying to figure out if, this struggle is just because I'm moving lower or if my doses are inconsistent. 

I've also considered crushing my pills into a powder.  I tried to do it yesterday but my empty gel capsules were too small and I was feeling lousy.  It overwhelmed me.

I hope what I'm asking makes sense. 

I'm not sure I understand... so I'm gonna toss out another idea, which I've contemplated.  I know a hospital pharmacist and they told me about a .25 mg k and .125 mg K ....ODT (orally disintegrating tablet).    Called my local pharmacy, they weren't in stock but they could order them.  They mentioned two manufactures.....Teva and Par.    Certainly no harm in checking this out with your pharmacy....

https://www.tevagenerics.com/product/clonazepam-orally-disintegrating-tablets-usp-civ

https://mms.mckesson.com/product/572671/Par-Pharmaceuticals-49884030702

I'm not sure I understand... so I'm gonna toss out another idea, which I've contemplated.  I know a hospital pharmacist and they told me about a .25 mg k and .125 mg K ....ODT (orally disintegrating tablet).    Called my local pharmacy, they weren't in stock but they could order them.  They mentioned two manufactures.....Teva and Par.    Certainly no harm in checking this out with your pharmacy....

https://www.tevagenerics.com/product/clonazepam-orally-disintegrating-tablets-usp-civ

https://mms.mckesson.com/product/572671/Par-Pharmaceuticals-49884030702

Thank you for responding Breck.  Yeah, I had a feeling I wasnt so clear.  My anxiety has gotten in the way. 

I appreciate your suggestions.  I will look at the links.  I am only concerned about switching brands because I have has the same brand, Solco, from the second month of my taking these meds.  Sont want to go through the pain of a brand change. 

Thanks again.

Hi,

I currently dose 3x a day.  I take a larger dose at night and 2 smaller, fairly equal doses in the day. 

2. To make sure I have accurate doses I will shave down the quarter pieces until I have the weight the daytime doses are supposed to be. 

3. I then use the 1/2 of the pill I haven't broken in half and another small quarter of a piece from my stash of other pieces I've used over these months.  I then shave both of the pieces to get the nightly dose weight.

Should I be using a separate pill 0.5mg pillfor each of those doses?  Meaning one pill for the smaller doses and one separate pill for the night time dose?

I can't do liquid so I'm trying to figure out if, this struggle is just because I'm moving lower or if my doses are inconsistent. 

I've also considered crushing my pills into a powder. I tried to do it yesterday but my empty gel capsules were too small and I was feeling lousy.  It overwhelmed me.

I am sorry to learn you are struggling, Final Healing.

I have no experience with either pill-shaving or crushing/grinding, but I have read posts from other members who have used these approaches to discontinue clonazepam ... so it can be done!

Given that you are now below 0.5mg in your total daily dose (congratulations on reaching that milestone!), I strongly encourage you to use the same tablet and only that tablet to create your 3 daily doses.  Using random pieces from a stash of pieces from old tablets introduces an unknown degree of variability to your total daily dose.

I have read that some members ingest the powder from their ground up tablets directly (i.e. they do not put it into capsules).  I’ve also read that member Bob7 added microcrystalline cellulose to his ground up clonazepam tablets when he needed to weigh very small amounts and load the powder into capsules.  He has documented his approach at:

Benzo Dry Taper Math

https://benzodrytapermath.com/

Hi,

I've also considered crushing my pills into a powder.  I tried to do it yesterday but my empty gel capsules were too small and I was feeling lousy.  It overwhelmed me.

Hello FH-

Many folks have successfully tapered utilizing the method you have described while others have reported struggling. I have read from a reliable source that shaving tablets is not really as accurate as we may think due to the medication not being evenly distributed through out each tablet. Unless the tablet is scored, 1/2 a tablet would not necessarily mean there is 1/2 the medication in each half, then when 1/2 is quartered the accuracy is even less.

Another method you may want to consider... try crushing 10- .5mg tablets into a fine powder and put this fine powder in a vial. From this vial you can weigh each of your daily doses. These tools may be helpful how ever you decide to crush,weigh and take your fine powder. Give it a shot and let us know how you do.

Thanks Libertas and Gudruna, I'm trying to get 'smarter' about these methods so I can help others, your input is greatly appreciated.  :)

Hi,

I've also considered crushing my pills into a powder. I tried to do it yesterday but my empty gel capsules were too small and I was feeling lousy.  It overwhelmed me.

I have no experience with either pill-shaving or crushing, but I have read posts from other members who have used these approaches successfully to discontinue clonazepam ... so I know it can be done!

Given that you are now below 0.5mg in your total daily dose (congratulations on reaching that milestone!), I strongly encourage you to use the same tablet and only that tablet to create your 3 daily doses.  Using random pieces from a stash of pieces from old tablets has introduced an unknown degree of variability into your total daily dose.

I have read that some members ingest the power from their ground up tablets directly (i.e. they do not put it into capsules).  I’ve also read that member Bob7 added microcrystalline cellulose to his clonazepam powder when he needed to weigh very small amounts and load the powder into capsules.  He has documented his approach at:

Benzo Dry Taper Math

Hi,

I have no experience with either pill-shaving or crushing, but I have read posts from other members who have used these approaches successfully to discontinue clonazepam ... so I know it can be done!

Given that you are now below 0.5mg in your total daily dose (congratulations on reaching that milestone!), I strongly encourage you to use the same tablet and only that tablet to create your 3 daily doses.  Using random pieces from a stash of pieces from old tablets has introduced an unknown degree of variability into your total daily dose.

I have read that some members ingest the power from their ground up tablets directly (i.e. they do not put it into capsules).  I’ve also read that member Bob7 added microcrystalline cellulose to his clonazepam powder when he needed to weigh very small amounts and load the powder into capsules.  He has documented his approach at:

Benzo Dry Taper Math

Thank you so much for your feedback.  Yes, that was my instinct that I needed to use the same pill or even if I had a left dose to weigh, to use another fresh pill just for that dose.

I'm know I'm over thinking everything because I am in the middle part of my taper and it's a grind.  I'm not cutting fast or in large amounts, which is why I am looking for answers for why I am struggling.  It may just be what it is till I get lower. 

I still don't know what I'm going to do but I appreciate the information.

Thanks for your acknowledgement about getting below 0.5.  That was an important milestone for me.

Hi,

Hello FH-

Many folks have successfully tapered utilizing the method you have described while others have reported struggling. I have read from a reliable source that shaving tablets is not really as accurate as we may think due to the medication not being evenly distributed through out each tablet. Unless the tablet is scored, 1/2 a tablet would not necessarily mean there is 1/2 the medication in each half, then when 1/2 is quartered the accuracy is even less.

Another method you may want to consider... try crushing 10- .5mg tablets into a fine powder and put this fine powder in a vial. From this vial you can weigh each of your daily doses. These tools may be helpful how ever you decide to crush,weigh and take your fine powder. Give it a shot and let us know how you do.

Thank you GR.  If I do switch, I will probably use capsules. I am so nervous because I fear an uptick in symtoms with the switch.

I need to calm down as much as I can to make this decison.

Thanks for the link.

[01...]

Hi,

Hello FH-

This is helpful. I would like to plan for this kind of taper.  I take .25 three times a day.  How do I know which dose or all to taper first?

Thank you GR.  If I do switch, I will probably use capsules. I am so nervous because I fear an uptick in symtoms with the switch.

I need to calm down as much as I can to make this decison.

Thanks for the link.

Final Healing:  Please let us know if using one tablet a day (instead of bits and pieces from different tablets) helps.

Pamster: What a thoughtful note.  Like you I am in learning mode with respect to dry methods, but we have a excellent teacher in Gudruna.

Lookinup: Oh dear. Your post got “caught up” in the quote box (not to worry, this happens a lot). To ensure your request receives the attention it deserves, might I suggest you create your own thread on the Direct Simple Tapers board? To do so:

(1) Click this link: Direct Simple Tapers

(2) When the new page appears, click the “New Topic” button.

Thanks Libertas. 

I'm going to stick with using one pill for two doses and one pill for my morning doses.  I'm not quite at the point where I can get all 3 doses about of one pill yet. 

I think it will move to powder if I need to when i get lower.

I appreciate all the responses I have gotten.

Being sensitive, like many here, means I cant avoid symptoms. I wish I could but going slowly and steadily is the only way for me to get out from under the side effects of Clonzapam.