Anyone had luck with hydroxyzine or glycine?

[Mi...]

I’m a little over 6 weeks out and sleep has been a major issue. I started feeling good a few weeks ago and sleeping almost 7 broken hours which is huge for me and then a big wave hit and I am up all night with constant fear and what feels like Adreneline surging all night but my heart rate is normal...ugh :( I’m not functioning well in the day now and have severe depression and anxiety when I don’t sleep. It’s a viscous cycle. Has anyone had any luck with hydroxyzine (or even glycine?)For sleep? I am living on 0-1 hr a night right now.

I've used hydroxyzine & Unisom in the past (both antihistamines) to try to get some sleep. Like benzos, they work for a while and then they don't..... not to be used long term. I also found that they dried me out big time and clogged up sinuses and everything else. All I take now is 1/2mg of melatonin. I'm getting 6-7 hours sleep but its that broken "toxic" rem sleep with lots of dreams. uggg 

Thanks for the reply! I’m glad you’re getting sleep now. 6-7 hours of bad sleep beats zero :) I was happy having any. Do you think I would build tolerance to the hydroxyzine if I only use it 1-2 times per week? I can’t take benedryl anymore because I become tolerant after 1 dose then have to wait 3 weeks. What dose of hydroxyzine were you taking?

My script for hydroxyzine is 25mg.  You also might try Unisom... I understand its the strongest over

the counter sleep aid... also an antihistamine. As far a building tolerence... its possible.  Maybe start

by breaking a tablet in half and see if it helps.

Here is a link to Unisom Q&A.  Hydroxyzine is also an antihistimine. 

https://www.unisom.com/common-questions/

Can I build up a tolerance and become resistant to Unisom products?

It is possible that after long-term use you could become resistant to the sedation (sleepiness) from Unisom. However, the package states that you should not use these products for more than 14 days unless recommended by your doctor.

You might try melatonin.... works for some people... not for others.

• 2 weeks later...
Me too I finished my taper off, felt ok then BAM. it hit me again a big wave. Couldn't sleep, after that anxiety too.  I have tried propranolol which did help some for anxiety, but didnt sleep with it. I'm trying hydroxyzine now, but worried about blood pressure with it. It lessens anxiety but not as well as the propranolol. I have gotten some sleep with it though but not a real good night.  I dont know at this point if anything really helps.  I dont want to be on other pills either. I dont know if its addicting ????

Winniepoo

How long ago did you jump? Are u taking hydroxyzine hcl? What dose are you taking? I’m trying not to take anything, but when I only get an hour or less sometimes I just need sleep to heal. I hope your sleep improves soon!!

Winniepoo

I haven’t taken yet, but my script says 25-50mg and then I read online the dose for sedation is 50-100mg. I hope you get some sleep soon and you will. I know this stuff comes in waves and is such a scary feeling, but stay on this group and you will see that people do get through this. Big hugs

Also, I have found relief from 50mg of benedryl but can’t take too often or tolerance builds. Don’t take it while your in bed. Try an hour or two so you get that sleepy and relaxed feeling or I find it doesn’t work as well as I lie in bed and think about it kicking in. My hyper vigilance is nuts!

Yeah I take 25mg I'm sensitive to medicines.  I found out I have Arrrthymaic heart not sure if it's from this or I just have it,  ugggg thinking of trying a beta blocker like propranolol. ??

I'm sorry insomnia is such an issue for many of you on this thread.  @Miracle1111.  You are still very early in the recovery process.  Ashton says 6-12 months for insomnia to resolve.  For some it takes longer and for a few it takes less time.  I was right where you are now a few years ago.  Wondering if I would ever be able to sleep again without taking something.  Sleep returns, but it takes a long time for most.  I know sleep at least 6, 7 or 8 hours every night.  Lately I have been getting 8, 9 and 10 hours a few times per week, but I am also 3 years 5 months out/off.  I know the urge and desire to get sleep.  I pretty much tried everything Rx, OTC and natural for sleep.  Nothing worked for more than a night a two for me.  I was forced to recover without taking anything.  But you need to do what is best for you.  Doxy (Unisom) and other OTC stuff isn't horribly bad, but maybe don't take it every night.  Almost everything eventually stops working.  Lack of sleep sucks, but it won't kill you.  It only feels like you will die, but you won't.  Your body will get all the sleep it needs prior to anything serious happening to you.  Microsleeps will sustain you until things even out.  Hang in there.  Time is the healer and your best friend during WD.  I never thought I would heal or sleep or be able to nap.  I do all those things now.  My life is better than it was before Benzos as I am grateful and appreciative for things I used to take for granted.  You'll get there.  Hang in there!

Theway2: thank you! I just had a few NAD sessions and my sleep has improved since - too soon to tell if it will be a continuous improvement and waking up after every dream and don’t feel groggy (just wide awake - the only way I know I’ve slept is because I have trained myself to remember dreams) so it’s a positive turn! 5-6 hours a night from 0-2 and I pray it lasts! I really don’t want to put any chemical in my body ever, but was becoming non functional without sleep and my cns was not handling well.

In desperation for sleep, many will try almost anything.  I did.  I tried pretty much every know Rx, OTC and "natural" sleep aide out there.  Or at least what I could afford and my PCP would write a script for.  It's interesting you mention NAD.  I have been on a NAD supplement for the past 2 months and that's when I noticed that I am now starting to get some 9 and 10 hour nights of sleep and my sleep has been better overall.  I didn't take the NAD supplement for sleep, but for cellular repair and recovery (anti-aging).  It's called Tru Niagen and I get it for $30 a month by doing a 6 month purchase up front.  No tax, free shipping.

Here's a link to more information on this type of therapy/treatment:  https://www.addictioncenter.com/treatment/nad-therapy/

thEwAy2

Yes, I began taking the NAD sublingual from Ken Starr  and definitely notice a difference, but there is no comparison to the IV therapy - unfortunately it’s cost prohibitive for most (self included, but that’s where credit comes in handy.) I’d like to wait a month post treatment before posting more, but so far it’s been a miracle - could be the key to avoiding (or at least dramatically shortening/improving

) benzo wd!

That's awesome. I hope you continue to have success.  Why is it that therapies that could help WD are extremely hard to come by, too expensive or not studied enough for the average person to get their doctor to try it?  :tickedoff:

NAD (or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is a vital resource found in all living cells. We use it every day. After over 100 years of studying this molecule, researchers are publishing more articles about NAD than ever before. Now we know NAD isn’t a constant resource. Things like overeating, or drinking alcohol and taking prescription drugs can stress our system and cause NAD to decline. Some scientists even think this NAD decline plays a major role in how we age. (source:  truniagen.com)

Here's a link to more information on NAD therapy/treatment:  https://www.addictioncenter.com/treatment/nad-therapy/

A different form can be bought OTC.  https://www.truniagen.com/science.html

:thumbsup:

NAD (or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is a vital resource found in all living cells. We use it every day. After over 100 years of studying this molecule, researchers are publishing more articles about NAD than ever before. Now we know NAD isn’t a constant resource. Things like overeating, or drinking alcohol and taking prescription drugs can stress our system and cause NAD to decline. Some scientists even think this NAD decline plays a major role in how we age. (source:  truniagen.com)

Here's a link to more information on NAD therapy/treatment:  https://www.addictioncenter.com/treatment/nad-therapy/

A different form can be bought OTC.  https://www.truniagen.com/science.html