Gabapentin

[No...]

So I am taking Gabapentin 300mg. 2-3 times a day for withdrawal and it works well. I have had multiple doctors tell me that there

is nothing to worry about it is not addictive. They even told me their patients had no problem getting off of. Yet I see people posting that it is hard to get off of.  Anybody ever been on this and then gotten off it?  Were there any problems?

[71...]

I had very little trouble stopping gabapentin.  I usually took 300mg (at night), but occasionally 600mg. 

As you've noticed, Gabapentin masks some of the symptoms of benzo withdrawal.  I think that when some people use gabapentin to help with benzo withdrawal symptoms then stop using it it's possible that there are still some benzo withdrawal symptoms there.  It's possible that some people mistake those residual benzo withdrawal symptoms for gabapentin withdrawal.  I'm not saying that some people don't go through gabapentin withdrawal, fwiw.

I won’t lie, some people have a difficult time getting off it. Usually the last 300 mg. I got off it without problems but I made sure I was still on a high dose of benzos. As a back up. I do believe if I got off them post taper it would have been very difficult. I tried to do this once before I was even on benzos and this is how it went. I had to be given Valium to get off them. My first experience with benzos, of course everyone is different. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I redid my post because we don't need any more horror stories.

I had an awful time coming off gabapentin but I think my story is not the norm.

Most people have a pretty easy time coming off of it. The stories shouldn't keep you from trying to get off of it. You'll know quite quickly if you have a problem. Then you can address it from there.

I would never recommend starting it because of my terrible experience from it. But if you're on it already, you shouldn't be afraid to come off of it if you need to.

Doctors know very little about gabapentin. It's just a drug they throw at everything, like benzos. My new neurologist is benzo and gabapentin wise, which is great. I rarely meet a doctor who knows the bad side of gabapentin.

So I am taking Gabapentin 300mg. 2-3 times a day for withdrawal and it works well. I have had multiple doctors tell me that there

is nothing to worry about it is not addictive. They even told me their patients had no problem getting off of. Yet I see people posting that it is hard to get off of.  Anybody ever been on this and then gotten off it?  Were there any problems?

Never heard this before? I don't think there was one drug that my doctor ever prescribed that he didn't say there is no problem quitting and not to worry. I guess he wasn't worried but I should have been.