A question on timing

[Na...]

Hello all,

So glad I found this site. I have a slightly different situation than most of what I have read from others. I have never used more than 2mg / day of Clonazepam, fortunately, however, I have been taking that 2mg dose every day, for 35 years, so, I haven't seen anyone who was on a benzo, especially one as potent as Clonazepam, for such a long period of time.

My question (for anyone who might know) revolves around timing. I am familiar with Heather Ashton and have read her 'plan'. I was very glad to see her approach, especially concerning the speed at which I might be able to taper. I have no idea what to expect, but, after being on the benzo for so many years, I fear the worst. Perhaps I am just projecting, and it won't be that bad.

I have more or less settled on a direct taper of 1/4 mg every 45 days. That would get me off it completely in roughly 8 months, and I think I might be erring on the side of caution with that figure. Perhaps I will be able to move a bit faster, but the last thing that I want to do is fail.

So if anyone has any knowledge of people who have been on Benzos for a very long time (such as I have) and you can give me any information on what you know, it would be greatly appreciated.

31 years here.  My withdrawal and recovery were easier than many here who were on for far less time than that.

There’s no true predictability as far outcome on this, although in my opinion you’re ahead of the game because you haven’t blown your taper, reinstated, gone on and off benzodiazepines or are poly-drugged, all of which contribute to a more complicated withdrawal and recovery... the horror stories you’ve read.

.25mg is a reasonable start although it’s a bit higher than 10% and 45 days may be a bit long between cuts. I might suggest .2mg max for the first cut and see how that goes.  If you hold too long between cuts you risk going back into tolerance. I would shoot for 30 days max.

As you get lower in dose, .25mg becomes increasingly higher than 10% of your current dose.  So as your dose decreases, your cuts become smaller. For instance, once you get to 1mg, your cuts will be more like .1mg.

Thanks for the reply Chiallis. I had looked over the direct taper amounts and I did know that 10% was recommended, but, I can't yet see how I can reliably achieve a 10% cut each time. I know some people choose to make a slurry and others crush their tablet and weigh the amounts. If I have to use an alternative method to cut my dose, which would you recommend?  A slurry or a mortar and pestel /scale setup?

Also, if you would recommend a scale approach, is there a particular brand that you would recommend?

I would start a new thread in Titration and ask...this is an area I have no experience and little knowledge but there are plenty of folks here who can help.  You can either do liquid or use a scale ...Gemini is the brand I’ve seen recommended.

Hello all,

So glad I found this site. I have a slightly different situation than most of what I have read from others. I have never used more than 2mg / day of Clonazepam, fortunately, however, I have been taking that 2mg dose every day, for 35 years, so, I haven't seen anyone who was on a benzo, especially one as potent as Clonazepam, for such a long period of time.

My question (for anyone who might know) revolves around timing. I am familiar with Heather Ashton and have read her 'plan'. I was very glad to see her approach, especially concerning the speed at which I might be able to taper. I have no idea what to expect, but, after being on the benzo for so many years, I fear the worst. Perhaps I am just projecting, and it won't be that bad.

I have more or less settled on a direct taper of 1/4 mg every 45 days. That would get me off it completely in roughly 8 months, and I think I might be erring on the side of caution with that figure. Perhaps I will be able to move a bit faster, but the last thing that I want to do is fail.

So if anyone has any knowledge of people who have been on Benzos for a very long time (such as I have) and you can give me any information on what you know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello NC-

As Challis said, there is no real predictability of the outcome of ones taper. It varies individually. The good news is that the majority who get off benzo do so with minimal symptoms and a relatively quick recovery. You will find the minority here on BB. The best thing you can do is research, make an informed decision, get a solid taper plan together the give it a shot.

A symptom based taper making small reductions is ideal. Many here have found it easiest to do a liquid taper. Combining tablets with Pharmaceutical liquid being the first choice for many. If Pharma liquid is not an option it is easy enough to make your own. Others do very well using a compounding pharmacy to make their doses. Then there are those who use a scale and make reductions this way. Basically it is whatever you are most comfortable with.

Here is a link to a program where you can make your own schedule to use as a guide to help with calculations, percentages and time frames. Try to be optimistic and give it a go. If you have more questions just ask we are here to help you any way we can!

OK, thanks. I will look into finding a compounding pharmacy that can handle the recommended dose reduction levels. It appears that in my city there are quite a few of them, so I guess I'm fortunate for that.

Hello, National Capital.

I’m stopping by to wish you success in your search for a compounding pharmacy.  Like everything else related to our healthcare, finding a reputable, qualified, experienced compounding pharmacy and pharmacist requires due diligence. For example, although many pharmacies offer some level of compounding, finding a pharmacy that specializes in compounding services is worth considering. Specialty pharmacies have made an extra investment in specialized equipment and facilities for compounding.  Plus the pharmacists who work in specialty pharmacies typically have advanced training in compounding.

A reputable, qualified, and experienced compounding pharmacy will use a standards-based formulation that has been tested for potency and stability. For example, the USP Compounded Preparation Monographs provide quality standards for specific preparations to assist pharmacists in compounding formulations. There is a USP monograph for a clonazepam compounded oral suspension with a concentration of 0.1mg/mL.  (Asking if a compounding pharmacy has experience in preparing the specific formulation you need can also inform decision-making.)

I’ll leave you with two links below that might be of interest. Libertas

How to Find a Compounding Pharmacy

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Compounding-Pharmacy

USP Compounded Preparations Monographs

https://www.usp.org/compounding/compounded-preparation-monographs

Edit: typo in username