Author Topic: New informed consent forms in Ohio  (Read 745 times)

[Buddie]

New informed consent forms in Ohio
« on: December 17, 2019, 03:57:55 pm »
I was at the doctors yesterday. While waiting in the room I saw some ready great informed consent documents. They are lengthy so Iíll only put in a few lines. I know we [...] a very long way to go but itís something.

One is controlled substance patient and provider agreement for  benzodiazepines and sleep aids such as lunesta. Patient [...] to initial each line. Many are risks:

1. Addiction. This means I could get an uncontrolled craving to use these medications. Even if I take them as prescribed.

2. Physical dependency. This means I could [...] symptoms of withdrawal if I suddenly stop taking the medications.

3. Tolerance. This means that over time, my provider may need to increase my dose to get the same effect.

4. Taking sleep aids with benzodiazepines together may cause death by stopping my breathing.

5. Misuse of these medications, such as taking more than prescribed, or taking them with alcohol or illegal drugs, or other medications that [...] not been prescribed to me may hurt or kill me.

6. These medications may make me feel dizzy or sleepy and slow to react. These could cause an  accident in my home or if Iím driving I might hurt myself or others. These medications may also affect my ability to make important decisions.

Other side effects include:

Common

Confusion
Feeling dizzy
Feeling sleepy
Headache
Lacking energy
Muscle aches
Stuffy nose
Sleep related eating

Serious

Addiction
Physical dependence
Tolerance

Life threatening
Trouble breathing
Thoughts of killing yourself
Coma
Death.

They also [...] the same sheets for lyrica, antidepressants and soma. The hospital facilities will not prescribe Soma as they feel it is too addictive.

There are other parts the patient must initial about what the doctors can do including my prescribing medication or no refills and the patients will get random drug tests.

Itís a good start, I think.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:17:05 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: New informed consent forms in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 06:13:19 pm »
But for most patients, the reasoning will still go something like this:
  • If the doctor prescribes them, they must not be that dangerous.
  • If they were that dangerous, the doctor wouldn't prescribe them.
  • Those warnings are just legalese from the lawyers and insurance companies.
  • I'll be all right if I take them as prescribed.
  • I trust my doctor.

I'm afraid those "informed consent" forms are all about protecting the doctors and hospitals and drug companies - and not the patients.
And you really [...] to wonder how valid the patients' consent is, given their mental state and the doctors' influence.
If the patients were really capable of making these decisions on their own, there would be no need for prescriptions.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 06:20:06 pm »
Years ago I was given Mirtazipine. The leaflet said Ďmay cause loss of consciousness, coma and death. If this occurs please contact a Dr urgentlyí or something like that. Hilarious.
Still put it in my mouth.
It made me pass out cold so never took it again.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:16:59 pm »
  • I trust my doctor.

I'm afraid those "informed consent" forms are all about protecting the doctors and hospitals and drug companies - and not the patients.
And you really [...] to wonder how valid the patients' consent is, given their mental state and the doctors' influence.
If the patients were really capable of making these decisions on their own, there would be no need for prescriptions.

There was a lot more to those forms that I put down. I said so. I also believe itís not perfect. But like I said, itís a start. I think thatís quite a stretch to say no need for prescriptions. Like in decades past, you could buy opiates off the shelves? See how well that went? I [...] some older friends who for decades got addicted to opiates by picking them up as OTC products. I said the forms Indicated that they wonít prescribe if they feel the patient is not in need. Itís just a start! Lawyer or not.

Red if you were required to read and sign that you are okay with the addictive dangers of benzos, would you [...] taken them? If you would [...] then you deserve to be here.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 10:44:04 pm »
  • I trust my doctor.

There was a lot more to those forms that I put down. I said so. I also believe itís not perfect. But like I said, itís a start. I think thatís quite a stretch to say no need for prescriptions. Like in decades past, you could buy opiates off the shelves? See how well that went? I [...] some older friends who for decades got addicted to opiates by picking them up as OTC products. I said the forms Indicated that they wonít prescribe if they feel the patient is not in need. Itís just a start! Lawyer or not.

Red if you were required to read and sign that you are okay with the addictive dangers of benzos, would you [...] taken them? If you would [...] then you deserve to be here.

You are not reading what I wrote. I said, IF patients were capable of making those decisions on their own, THEN there would be no need for prescriptions. Now, IF is a very important qualifier. When you see it, you should pay attention to it, and not ignore it and go on a rant. The reason we [...] prescriptions is precisely because lay people ARE NOT capable of making these decisions on their own. That's why physicians are required to [...] a certain medical education, to pass certain examinations, and to be licensed: so that they WILL BE CAPABLE of making those medical judgments that lay people ARE NOT capable of making. Are you seeing these qualifications yet, [...]? Or do I [...] to write more slowly for you?

As for whether or not I deserve to be here, I am not a bit surprised that you would make such a comment. But still, I think it's beneath contempt.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 01:41:17 pm »
Red

I saw the if part. To me it doesnít matter because the hospital system is forcing them to read and sign the forms. You always tend to make people sound stupid and incapable of anything. There are people like this but by and large they are in the minority. I for one would never [...] taken these psych drugs had a been allowed to read these. Thatís the thingó-itís a point by point explanation of the dangers of a variety of psych drugs. I can assure you the vast majority of members here would never [...] taken their benzo. You are dumbing down the members here.

The bigger picture is why are they drugs allowed to be prescribed? Thatís for a different day. I am very happy about these informed consent forms. Do you [...] them where you live? I would be happy if you did. Am I writing too fast for you? I always felt you were a nasty member of this forum and while you seem to [...] some friends you also [...] many who canít stand you. Itís people like you who I canít stand and thus take very long breaks from here. I try to post something positive only to get shot down. You are a condescending person. Stick to Spanish please. I know I wonít be here for eight years. I [...] a life.

No te molestes en responder ya terminť aquŪ.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:08:43 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 01:41:40 pm »
[...],

I think these forms, like you said, are a great start.  I donít believe that most of us are helpless babbling idiots when we go into a doctorís office and are completely incapable of reading and understanding forms we are asked to initial that describe the dangers associated with the psyche drugs listed.  Although this is not the perfect end all solution to the problem, it is definitely a step in the right direction.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 02:18:28 pm »
I see some great information here, I agree, anything which will draw more attention to the dangers of any drug is a good thing, however I also feel we've been programmed to believe if we don't leave a Dr's office without a script, we're not getting our money's worth.  How many times [...] you heard someone gripe because their Dr wouldn't give them an antibiotic when they asked for it, even though their infection was viral not bacterial?  And then there are the commercials on TV advertising drugs and the warnings which drone on in a hushed voice about all of the dangers, we don't care, we want them anyway because that won't happen to me.

As I said, any recognition of the dangers of all drugs is a good thing, so I'm grateful for this post and the discussion that follows.  However, the personal attacks need to stop, they disrupt the thread and are not productive.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »
I'd like to see a similar form initialed by the doctor taking some responsibility as the person writing the prescriptions. Perhaps they would be a little less likely to polydrug people if they were held responsible.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 07:57:43 pm »
[...],

Good idea.  Unfortunately, doctors probably want to avoid putting any responsibility for the risks of drugs on their shoulders.  Perhaps some sort of consumer advocacy group has a form that would provide protection for patients, or at least some notion of dual responsibility.

[...]