Unaible to sleep because of tingling, weird skin sensations

[ih...]

Ever since a I C/T Xanax and Zopiclone in the middle of july, I have been using Theralen (alimemazin), which has antihistamine sedative effect. Stopped using it about month ago. Since then insomnia. All started with sleep anxiety, about 2 weeks ago, just out of the blue, I started to thing about all these skin sensations and basically cant sleep because of that. Every weird skin tingle i get sets my brain on fire and Im just not tired anymore. I dont have during day probably because im busy and dont pay attention to it. One if my WD symptoms is hyperawareness OCD ( like being aware of blinking, breathing..). Not sure if its one of that, being hyperaware of skin sensations or nerve endings firing up.

Anyway, i feel pretty desperate. I mean sleep anxiety is common thing, this again..idk , ive not seen it here. It just horrible how im dreading every night. Its just laying there and waiting for that tingling thing to come, urge to itch kinda, just horrible...Life is a terror right now.

Does anyone experience smth like that?

[df...]

I recall being very itchy in places, and how much that could interfere with sleep.  Seemed that my ankles and feet were especially vulnerable.  Scratching only ended up making it worse.  I did a meditation that I learned decades ago to help with pain.  It involved visualizing the area with the undesirable feeling and mentally describing that area (size, shape, flavor, color...  however you can best identify it).  Then I'd mentally describe the feeling I was experiencing.  Then I'd clear my mind briefly and again scan my body and describe the area and feeling.  Over time, the area got more difficult to define and the feeling less easy to describe.  If the feeling comes back during the meditation, no biggie.  Just continue.  I could usually reduce the feeling 90% or so - enough to where I didn't care about it anymore.  It takes a little practice like most meditative endeavors.

There are a myriad of variations to this pain meditation, and they're very Googleable. 

Alternatively, you may find that simply taking an OTC pain med (e.g. ibuprofen) might turn down the feeling enough to allow you to get some sleep.

• 1 month later...
I had itchy back and tingling feet and hands.  The tingling lasted 2 weeks.  My feet seemed numb.  The itching and tingling stopped around same time.  This was during a cut from clonazapam, .25 to .17.  It was intense.  I went to dr and he said there was nothing there, no rash etc.  Sometimes, just changing the sensation can alleviate the experience.  Like moisturizer or cooling it down or heating it up.  I think it will pass and hope it already has.