Should I do percentages or keep doing what I’m doing

[CM...]

I am down to 1.17mg of Valium.

I have been tapering by .01mg per day. Now that I’m getting lower, do I need to go even slower bc the percentages are going up on this low of a dose ?

It’s like 27% a month now at this dose. Which is way higher than I could ever tolerate. I don’t want to mess the end up now after so much suffering for so long. 

Any opinions I would really appreciate. Thx.

[c6...]

People are able to taper and recover at different rates.  I think it's wise to be cautious and start at a slow rate until you see how your body is going to handle it.  If you can micro-taper 20+ percent a month without major/debilitating symptoms, maybe you continue with your current approach since it seems to be working for you.  Just keep listening to your body and adjust your taper as necessary.

Congratulations, btw, for getting down to 1.17!

I agree 100% with badsocref!  Listening to your body and adjusting your taper rate if/as needed are key.

However, based on the following, you are also wise to be keeping an eye on your taper rate (i.e. your “percentages”) as you near the end of your taper.

(1) Per the Jim Hawk Taper Plan tool ...

Fixed reduction quantity per period of days (mg/days)

A same and unchanged quantity will be reduced from the daily dose throughout the taper duration. The fixed reduction quantity method, also known as symptoms-based taper method, is easy to understand and to apply. It can eventually offer a shorter taper duration compared to the fixed reduction percent.

The dark side of this approach is that by the end phase (~1/3) of the taper, many patients seem to become more vulnerable to the same reduction. The risks to feel symptoms due to a fast taper is real. The reduction quantity must be therefore adapted when symptoms occur. In the Taper Plan application, when there is 1/3 of the road to go before the jump dose, the option "Attenuated ending" adapts the reduction quantity to 1/3 of the initial cut. This option works only when the reduction is based on fixed quantity as opposed to fixed percent.

Source:

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/direct/directHelp.htm?help=Readme+First

(2) Per The Withdrawal Project ...

Making a monthly reduction of 5-10% per month, calculated upon each previous month’s dose, is very different from making a monthly reduction of 5-10% per month calculated upon the original dose that a person was taking at the start of their taper. This difference is essential to understand as it can dramatically change the speed and nature of a taper.

....especially during the mid-to-late stages of withdrawing, many experienced laypeople report that this smoother, decelerating pace [calculating the monthly reduction based on each month’s previous dose instead of the original dose] seems to be a vitally helpful approach for more responsible tapering.

Source:

“Is tapering at 5-10% per month of the original dose really so different from tapering at 5-10% per month of each previous month’s dose?” Psychiatric Drug Taper Rates: A Review and Discussion

https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/learn/psychiatric-drug-taper-rates-review-and-discussion

What I did with my low dose of klonopin was instead of micro dropping every day I dropped for three days and held for the fourth. To me it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

What I did with my low dose of klonopin was instead of micro dropping every day I dropped for three days and held for the fourth. To me it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

what was the increment did you go down by? I'm starting my liquid valium taper and am trying to plan it. I know we are all different, but it sounds like a good plan. I can't do the big drops anymore.