'The Future of Psychiatry May Be Inside Your Stomach'

[Wi...]

Love that link.  Thank you. :smitten:

Stress and  anxiety cause a big factor in the production of histamine for me and give me

major setbacks also.

So many factors play into the gut reactions then the brain  and anxiety.  And so many things have to heal along the way. 

Sky, you're welcome.

Dealing with past trauma is a big factor for many people when trying to heal the gut. I know this is true in my case. They say the body remembers, even when we do not.... It's not easy, but the good news is, it can all be fixed. I firmly believe we can heal our past (including our stress response) completely, and thereby heal the body.

Sending you warmth.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wi...]

• [Ma...]

• [Ca...]

• [to...]

[c9...]

thanks you  the good wishes are valued.

I think we have much in common re the  years of past trauma, and anxieties  and perhaps the positive from that is we work hard researching and healing where we can

This is a great book with exactly that title.

The Body Remembers Volume 2 Revolutionizing Trauma Treatment Hardcover – 20 Jun 2017

by Babette Rothschild (Author) 

The original ( vol 1)  The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment Hardcover – 17 Oct 2000

by Babette Rothschild (Author) has been so much help to me over the years.  you might find it interesting.

I also think the trauma and anxiety of withdrawal bring back many  old responses  to  past experiences and even create new trauma and experiences for us  all to deal with.  :'(

I thought Id post the info  on here for you

as my pMs are turned off for now.  I so need the down time.

So for now I think I will just take another break from the forum

and relax over the holiday season

maybe check in and read occasionally perhaps.

good luck in all you do,  :smitten:

Thank you for these resources, Sky.

The titles remind me of the work of Bessel van der Kolk (The Body Keeps the Score). I think also of Alice Miller.... Very hard stuff to work through, but so freeing, in the end.

I've had to take baby steps with the trauma healing (ultra-sensitive in w/d), but am making progress and feel much more at peace with it all. I grieved and had to learn a lot, but now I'm onto recovery because my energy is slowly coming back and my mind is clearer. My biggest desire was to be free of my past forever, no longer to be tied to it at all. I didn't know whether that was possible, in the beginning.... Now I know it is.

I will look into the books you referenced. Thanks again.

Take very good care of yourself, Sky. Wishing you a peaceful, healing holiday season.

:smitten:

Merry Christmas to you, Cant!

Many thanks for all kindness & support this year.

Wildflower

Thanks mate, -you also...

-I was saving you guys till closer to the day, but I guess its getting pretty close now..!!

Merry Xnas to Everyone..!!

:)

Here is a not “fun fact”.. Dont drink “off” coconut water..!! OMG..!!

:(

Here is a not “fun fact”.. Dont drink “off” coconut water..!! OMG..!!

:(

Ouch. What a very appropriate tip for this thread...  ;D Good luck with the coconut hangover, mate. (How our ideas of fun have changed, eh?)

• 3 weeks later...
Now I wonder about taking GABA capsule supplements. Just might calm the receptors in the stomach.......maybe a helpful tool in the tapering arsenal. ::)

I just want to give an update here.  Somewhere in this thread or the other one regarding probiotics, someone ( probably Wildflower) posted a link to Amazon for a product called Lifted Naturals Bifidus Mood Boost probiotic blend.  This blend is lactate and histamine free.  I have been taking it now for 3 or 4 days and I have seen a substantial reduction in anxiety symptoms that I can't attribute to anything else.  I am absolutely blown away by how well it is working so far.  I just want to say thank you to Wildflower who is in a much better position to explain why this is working for me than I am.  All I know is that it is. 

I just want to give an update here.  Somewhere in this thread or the other one regarding probiotics, someone ( probably Wildflower) posted a link to Amazon for a product called Lifted Naturals Bifidus Mood Boost probiotic blend.  This blend is lactate and histamine free.  I have been taking it now for 3 or 4 days and I have seen a substantial reduction in anxiety symptoms that I can't attribute to anything else.  I am absolutely blown away by how well it is working so far.  I just want to say thank you to Wildflower who is in a much better position to explain why this is working for me than I am.  All I know is that it is.

Great news Took..!! :)

-Thanks for sharing..

:)

• 7 months later...
I have been taking L. Rhamnosus for about a month now and I think it does a great job at lowering anxiety, but recently I started to wonder if it will slow down the healing or maybe even cause a setback. I have read that it's anxiolitic effect is due to it's ability to convert glutamate to GABA, which would result in higher GABA concentrations in the body. Isn't that actually bad for us? Has anyone stopped taking the probiotic and noticed an increase in symptoms?

I have been taking L. Rhamnosus for about a month now and I think it does a great job at lowering anxiety, but recently I started to wonder if it will slow down the healing or maybe even cause a setback. I have read that it's anxiolitic effect is due to it's ability to convert glutamate to GABA, which would result in higher GABA concentrations in the body. Isn't that actually bad for us? Has anyone stopped taking the probiotic and noticed an increase in symptoms?

I would have a hard time believing that that would be bad for us.  On the contrary, it is likely good for us as a palliative therapy at the very least.  Are you taking the individual strain or are you taking a blend with L Rhamnosus in it?

This is good to know. Thank you.

I'm recovering from a bad case of celiac (might have had it my whole life and only found it 3 years after benzo WD), and my guts are absolutely destroyed. I'm convinced if I can heal my gut I can heal my benzo damage. I'll need probiotics one day and I'll remember the Lifted Naturals  :thumbsup:

I’ve been following this for a couple years now. As others have pointed out, different strains do different things and affect different neuro chemicals. I tried some and had an adverse reaction each time. I recently tried Colostrum and the same thing happened and I’m now in a major wave. Colostrum is a prebiotic but it’s supposed to feed the food flora already in the gut. I think some of us who had an exceptionally difficult withdrawal may be super sensitive for some time. I’m no expert but I wonder if the GABA and serotonin increase from the gut aren’t a good thing when your receptors in the brain are sensatized/mangled and you’re kindled etc. Lots of buddies report good experiences because of probiotics though. Either way, for a healthy person they are much better than psychotropic and neurotoxic pills!

I had originally started with the Bifidus Mood Boost version but then added another Lifted Naturals probiotic called Mood Boosting Probiotic (a little confusing I know).  Then I added a 3rd probiotic blend which contains some strains that are not found in either of the above.  So what I did is I started to cycle through them.  I would alternate which one I took each day to get an even blend of the 3 supplements throughout the week.  And this I feel helped me a decent amount.  However, once I started taking all 3 of them each day, which I've only been doing for a little over a week now, I started to notice a further substantial reduction in my anxiety.  There is no telling at this point if it's all 3 that are helping me or if its only one or two of them.  All I know is that they are working and if they continue to work this way I could see myself reaching a point where I may actually feel like I have recovered enough to live a somewhat normal life.  I'm not there yet but I'm hopeful that these things are playing an important role in getting there. 

I had originally started with the Bifidus Mood Boost version but then added another Lifted Naturals probiotic called Mood Boosting Probiotic (a little confusing I know).  Then I added a 3rd probiotic blend which contains some strains that are not found in either of the above.  So what I did is I started to cycle through them.  I would alternate which one I took each day to get an even blend of the 3 supplements throughout the week.  And this I feel helped me a decent amount.  However, once I started taking all 3 of them each day, which I've only been doing for a little over a week now, I started to notice a further substantial reduction in my anxiety.  There is no telling at this point if it's all 3 that are helping me or if its only one or two of them.  All I know is that they are working and if they continue to work this way I could see myself reaching a point where I may actually feel like I have recovered enough to live a somewhat normal life.  I'm not there yet but I'm hopeful that these things are playing an important role in getting there.

That's great news! Do you worry that this isn't sustainable? I don't know if probiotics do or don't make long lasting changes in the gut or if they create an artificial modulation akin to medication (although not nearly as strong) to neurochemicals. Does one need to take propbiotics for as long as they want these changes to take place? I don't know the answer to these I'm genuinely asking to get your thoughts.

That's great news! Do you worry that this isn't sustainable? I don't know if probiotics do or don't make long lasting changes in the gut or if they create an artificial modulation akin to medication (although not nearly as strong) to neurochemicals. Does one need to take propbiotics for as long as they want these changes to take place? I don't know the answer to these I'm genuinely asking to get your thoughts.

I don't really worry about it.  I don't think anybody knows these answers yet.