'The Future of Psychiatry May Be Inside Your Stomach'

[Wi...]

Hey Cant,

As always, enjoyed your post.  :)

Same here, with working on diet first and easing into it. It has taken me a few years, as my digestion was so messed up.

Regarding pre-biotics: many probiotics now have them added in, such as the one I'm using. If yours doesn't, food sources go a long way. Probiotics love fiber -- heaps of steamed veggies, almond butter by the spoonful, for example. I prefer to keep things simple (considering the brain fog during this whole trip).... Yep, just cook the hell out of it.  ;)

And yes to organics. (It's hard to go ALL organic, as there's not always a big enough variety available.) The pesticide/herbicide residues on produce damage the gut bacteria badly. And the GMOs are a disaster.... So it's worth trying to source organic produce as much as possible. I use a box scheme and a local farmers' market.

Cheering you on in your final stage of tapering! I'll be the first to congratulate you on your success update...good luck, friend.

Wild

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wi...]

• [Ma...]

• [Ca...]

• [to...]

Hey Cant,

As always, enjoyed your post.  :)

Same here, with working on diet first and easing into it. It has taken me a few years, as my digestion was so messed up.

Regarding pre-biotics: many probiotics now have them added in, such as the one I'm using. If yours doesn't, food sources go a long way. Probiotics love fiber -- heaps of steamed veggies, almond butter by the spoonful, for example. I prefer to keep things simple (considering the brain fog during this whole trip).... Yep, just cook the hell out of it.  ;)

And yes to organics. (It's hard to go ALL organic, as there's not always a big enough variety available.) The pesticide/herbicide residues on produce damage the gut bacteria badly. And the GMOs are a disaster.... So it's worth trying to source organic produce as much as possible. I use a box scheme and a local farmers' market.

Cheering you on in your final stage of tapering! I'll be the first to congratulate you on your success update...good luck, friend.

Wild

Thanks mate.. :) 

We are blessed to have an organic Co-op not far away, so that helps when I can get there.. But the supermarket has a fair range too...

Anyways, my best to you too...

:)

I understand about your reaction to GOS, Marigold. I know that SIBO folks, especially, struggle with it. I have SIBO and I've had to go super-slow on the probiotic (with GOS), as it does cause me some pathogen die-off. But as long as I take breaks as needed, I am starting to see the kind of improvements I've not seen in about a year now.

But everyone is different, and it's very important to go gently and slowly. With the autistic children, we start them often on a pinch of probiotic (about an eighth of a capsule) over the food, just once a week. And it works beautifully, in most cases. We slowly, slowly work up from there....

I absolutely agree with you that food is key. Probiotics are not a silver bullet (nothing is), and I don't believe folks will see all the benefits unless they're eating healthily.

Anytime I react on something I NOW think: "I do not tolerate that YET."

My body has showing me through the years exactly, when to eat what kind of food. Thanks to my self-experiments and self-studies about food and diets all over the world I just know more different foods today and really can follow my nose most of the time. Yes, I sniffle around the supermarket or over a market and very often... in the pharmacy (in the corner with the herbs)...

I also have written my own pharmaceutical book, with all foods listed with the symptoms I could help me with it :laugh:

over the time I have learned so much that I had to write it down. Its a bible now, cause I have added supplements and so on.

In my cupboard used to be pills for anything. For the flu, for pain, for sleep, for allergies.

The only pills I still have are some ibuprofen and I think they could be too old now.

The kitchen explodes with herbs, ugly japanese sea weads, seeds, oils,-- my friends say its the kitchen of a real witch.

Well, knew it.. :heybabe:

I understand about your reaction to GOS, Marigold. I know that SIBO folks, especially, struggle with it. I have SIBO and I've had to go super-slow on the probiotic (with GOS), as it does cause me some pathogen die-off. But as long as I take breaks as needed, I am starting to see the kind of improvements I've not seen in about a year now.

But everyone is different, and it's very important to go gently and slowly. With the autistic children, we start them often on a pinch of probiotic (about an eighth of a capsule) over the food, just once a week. And it works beautifully, in most cases. We slowly, slowly work up from there....

I absolutely agree with you that food is key. Probiotics are not a silver bullet (nothing is), and I don't believe folks will see all the benefits unless they're eating healthily.

So you work with children? Have you seen the latest studies about omega 3 fat acids and autistic children?

I started a supplement with omega 3 lately. I finally found a product based on algae instead of fish oil. I am curious about the results, I will give it a try for 6 months.

Anytime I react on something I NOW think: "I do not tolerate that YET."

My body has showing me through the years exactly, when to eat what kind of food. Thanks to my self-experiments and self-studies about food and diets all over the world I just know more different foods today and really can follow my nose most of the time. Yes, I sniffle around the supermarket or over a market and very often... in the pharmacy (in the corner with the herbs)...

I also have written my own pharmaceutical book, with all foods listed with the symptoms I could help me with it :laugh:

over the time I have learned so much that I had to write it down. Its a bible now, cause I have added supplements and so on.

In my cupboard used to be pills for anything. For the flu, for pain, for sleep, for allergies.

The only pills I still have are some ibuprofen and I think they could be too old now.

The kitchen explodes with herbs, ugly japanese sea weads, seeds, oils,-- my friends say its the kitchen of a real witch.

Well, knew it.. :heybabe:

Yes! It just takes time. As the body heals, we tolerate more and more. I often have to remind myself just to get out of the way of my own body -- it knows the way. I just have to remove the many poisons (medications, crappy non-foods, self-abusive attitudes)....

And then there's a yucky phase to get through, as the body throws off the poisons, before we get to the good part. But, when we get to the other side, we realise it was so worth the suffering. It's like a light gets switched on.

And ditto on the kitchen.  :laugh:

So you work with children? Have you seen the latest studies about omega 3 fat acids and autistic children?

I started a supplement with omega 3 lately. I finally found a product based on algae instead of fish oil. I am curious about the results, I will give it a try for 6 months.

My husband and I have learnt so much through this journey that we've started studying under a doctor who prefers to work in the Natural Health field. We're trying to set up a little community clinic to help people -- and kiddos -- who have iatrogenic injuries (vaccine damage, medication harm, etc.) and general toxicity issues. So we're learning all the time....

The studies on Omega 3's are convincing. Everyone should be supplementing it, for optimum health. But even more so where there has been a traumatic brain injury. I hope it works for you, Marigold! Parker, who wrote the brain post on here, was big on it, too.

[f1...]

This  info might help some re GOS  sensitivities,  Makes Interesting reading  especially for those with this sensitivity  also. Just sharing. :thumbsup:

https://www.monashfodmap.com/blog/new-research-enzyme-therapy-can-help-reduce-symptoms-ibs-patients-sensitive-galacto-oligosaccharides-gos-present-legumes-soy-milk-and-nuts/

The study measured whether an oral enzyme supplement 'alpha-galactosidase' could help people with IBS to

better tolerate galacto-oligosaccharide (GOS) containing foods.

The study revealed a number of interesting findings:

Firstly, it showed that the addition of GOS to a diet that was low in other FODMAPs induced symptoms in approximately 2/3 of participants. This suggests that approximately 1/3 of people with IBS are not GOS-sensitive. This is an interesting finding in itself and highlights the importance of establishing your individual level of FODMAP tolerance.

Who should use it: The enzyme is only useful in patients with IBS. The results from our study showed that the enzyme worked best in ‘GOS-sensitive’ individuals. So if you have re-challenged FODMAPs and found that you react to high GOS foods such as legumes/pulses, then you may find this enzyme beneficial. Many foods rich in GOS represent important protein sources for vegetarians and vegans (for example nuts, legumes, lentils and some soy-products), so improving tolerance to GOS containing foods may help to minimise dietary restrictions and ensure nutritional adequacy.

Where to get it: The enzyme is called 'alpha-galactosidase'. There are a number of different brands available, some with different doses.

this

https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-Enzyme-Alpha-galactosidase-GalU-serving/dp/B0046IKO58

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Bloating-Relief-Tablets-Packaging/dp/B00ANL4WMI

info about

https://www.directhealth.com.au/alpha-galactosidase-bloating-gas-fix/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/244724-about-the-enzyme-alpha-galactosidase/

Hopefully this might help someone and those with a GOS sensitivities

There is so much damage these drugs caused, and we all need to listen to our own  bodies plus  research, trial and error, and adjust along the way  as we all heal our individual problems.

. :smitten:

My husband and I have learnt so much through this journey that we've started studying under a doctor who prefers to work in the Natural Health field. We're trying to set up a little community clinic to help people -- and kiddos -- who have iatrogenic injuries (vaccine damage, medication harm, etc.) and general toxicity issues. So we're learning all the time....

The studies on Omega 3's are convincing. Everyone should be supplementing it, for optimum health. But even more so where there has been a traumatic brain injury. I hope it works for you, Marigold! Parker, who wrote the brain post on here, was big on it, too.

I am happy I can now tolerate almost any kind of supplement and I only take those which I am lacking and I do blood tests regularly to check on my diet and the supplements. Its an expensive project though.

When it comes to omega 3 I am still not sure about the right dosage, there are so many different advices out there. Do you remember how much Parker had taken or do you have a good source for me to do further research? omega 3 is highly expensive, too >:(

PS: If you are interested you might read the book of Steven Acuff about healthy foods, just google him and you will find his website. He helped me very much (I know him in person) to find my best diet or better said: Way to live :smitten:

This  info might help some re GOS  sensitivities,  Makes Interesting reading  especially for those with this sensitivity  also. Just sharing. :thumbsup:

Sky, this is all new to me. I have not delved much into GOS sensitivity before, but I suspect it's one of the reasons I'm having to work up on this probiotic so slowly. It's very frustrating, as my mental symptoms are so unbelievably improved on it (as is my skin). That alone makes it worth it, to me. But then there's an uptick in insomnia.... Temporary, I'm sure, but man. Wearying.

I'm going to look into the enzyme. Makes sense to me. If the suppliers don't ship here, which is often the case, I'll continue working my way up very slowly, taking breaks as needed.

It's incredibly kind and caring of you to share such useful information. You've taken a lot of trouble. I very much appreciate your input, Sky. We all have so much to learn.

I am happy I can now tolerate almost any kind of supplement and I only take those which I am lacking and I do blood tests regularly to check on my diet and the supplements. Its an expensive project though.

When it comes to omega 3 I am still not sure about the right dosage, there are so many different advices out there. Do you remember how much Parker had taken or do you have a good source for me to do further research? omega 3 is highly expensive, too >:(

PS: If you are interested you might read the book of Steven Acuff about healthy foods, just google him and you will find his website. He helped me very much (I know him in person) to find my best diet or better said: Way to live :smitten:

Marigold, you're right about high-quality Omega-3 supplements being expensive. (There are many inferior products out there, sadly.) Cost is a huge factor here in Africa, so when folks can't afford an Omega-3 supplement, we advise them to eat 3-4 tins of sardines a week (not other fish, to avoid mercury toxicity). When they do this and we test them, their Omega-3 levels almost always test optimal, as do their vitamin D levels. It works beautifully. So that's one way around the problem.

If you decide to supplement instead, make sure you use a product that contains a mixture of EPA and DHA. This is vital. (We don't seem to get good results with Nordic Naturals and Carlson.) Metagenics OmegaGenics EPA-DHA 720 is one brand that seems to work well. It's tested for heavy-metal contaminants by a third-party lab -- very important.

Capsules are better than buying oil, as the oil can go rancid quickly.

The usual dose for adults is 900-1000 mg total fatty acids per day. In cases of CNS injury (e.g. benzo w/d), some people might need more. If you eat some sardines, you'll need less. I eat about 3 tins of sardines a week, so I take only 1 to 2 of the Metagenics capsules a day (roughly 700 to 1500 mg a day), while in recovery. Some people use double that amount. To keep costs down, I'll stop supplementing, and just stick with the sardines, once I'm further out in w/d. I like food sources, whenever possible.

I think this is in line with what Parker wrote. I'm rereading some of her posts, so I'll reference it here, when I find it. Again, work up slowly.

I'll look into the Acuff book, Marigold. I love reading about this stuff...I'm a nerd that way. ::) Many thanks for the reference!

:smitten:

Found this:

Review of a histamine- & d-lactate-free probiotic on Amazon (shortened):

Giving me my life back

I remember dealing with anxiety at an early age. I was 4 when I started having itching and hives related to stressors. I remember lying in bed at 7, worrying about my Dad who had been hurt.... At 12, I first thought of suicide. It was around that time that I was first treated for stomach ulcers.

I continued to suffer for many years. At 30, I was severely depressed. I ended up with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I started meds...and was found to be treatment resistant. At one point, I was taking around 20 pills a day.

The meds created a new set of problems. Besides the expense (one med was about $600 a month; all combined, about $1400), the side effects were horrible. Parkinson's-type tremors, nausea, dull thinking, fatigue and sleepiness, no feelings, and severe body pain. I ended up with a fibromyalgia diagnosis and was given more meds for that.

Two years ago, a series of events caused me to try tapering off, even from the fibromyalgia meds. I was in pain anyway and knew I'd soon be in a wheelchair. I was spending most of my time in bed, crying.

The detox process was awful. My anxiety came back with a vengeance and I felt absolute rage all the time. But I started to feel better physically. My fibromyalgia pain was not as bad. I was able to get up and do more. I knew I needed help mentally, but the physical was improving.

The anxiety never turned off. My depression was dark. My anger was volatile. I wanted to die if this was going to go on for the rest of my life. I even tried going back on a mood stabilizer. But within a few days, the pain was back.

I stopped immediately and was merely existing. In October 2018, I had been reading some about the brain-gut connection. When I found the probiotic ad, I knew I had to try. I was taking a prescription med for anxiety, but it wasn't helping and I really think natural, when possible, is better.

I started working my way up on the product. After about three or four weeks, I noticed I wasn't as on edge. I was coping with stress better. I had more energy.

After a few months, I'm feeling the best I have in years. I'm 51 and I feel like there's hope for the first time in 20+ years. I have now ordered the product for my sister who has pretty severe anxiety, and a friend who has alcoholism. They've both been taking it for a month. She has more energy and less anxiety, and he reports fewer cravings.

Thank you so much for this amazing blend. It's the only thing that has helped me with my depression and anxiety.

(January 2019)

Yes, that's the one, Sky.  :)

Very pleased with it, so far. (Can't quite trust things, yet -- so used to being slammed!)

I'll update as I go along.

[f1...]

Yes, that's the one, Sky.  :)

Very pleased with it, so far. (Can't quite trust things, yet -- so used to being slammed!)

I'll update as I go along.

great.  It all takes time  Good luck  :smitten:

(There are many inferior products out there, sadly.) Cost is a huge factor here in Africa, so when folks can't afford an Omega-3 supplement, we advise them to eat 3-4 tins of sardines a week (not other fish, to avoid mercury toxicity). When they do this and we test them, their Omega-3 levels almost always test optimal, as do their vitamin D levels. It works beautifully. So that's one way around the problem.

Hi Wildflower.  I had a question about this statement.  How is it that the sardines manage to avoid mercury toxicity? 

Hi Wildflower.  I had a question about this statement.  How is it that the sardines manage to avoid mercury toxicity?

took,

The main reason is that they're small (low down in the food chain). All larger fish, including wild-caught salmon, concentrate mercury up to a million times more than sardines. The mercury shows up very quickly on hair-tissue mineral tests (HTMA), even if you eat one serving of salmon per week, for example. That's how we know.

It's terrible, because all fish used to be a wonderfully healthy protein source. No longer, sadly.

Sadly I cant handle sardines 

unless I take a DAO supplement

to break down the histamine in them

when ingested.

Sky, I know that's the case for some people. Benzos interfere with the body's ability to metabolize histamine, and that function can take some time to come back.

If it doesn't, after a certain length of time, I'd look into the copper/zinc balance in the body, via hair-tissue testing. A balanced copper level is necessary for the functioning of the enzyme that breaks down histamine in the body. (That has been a key factor, in my case -- I've had terrible histamine issues, like many on here. Also, copper levels correlate with estrogen levels, as does histamine -- that's why there are proportionally more women who struggle with histamine problems, than men.)

I couldn't afford a DAO supplement, so I had to dig deeper and research possible root causes for histamine issues. I hope this sheds more light for someone out there.

[f1...]

Good luck with what ever  YOU    need,  :thumbsup:

and as I say  continually we are all  damaged differently,

in so many areas also, histamine is just one facet,

and we each  have to find what works for us individually.

Sardines are a big NO NO for me, personally  :'(

they are way to heavy with histamine and it affects me

and my histamine load, so have to deal with that my way.

I have been tested for all those things you noted and

find making sure I dont eat histamine producing foods

is best for me, in the  anxiety, and health of my gut department.

One has to keep that balance in the histamine department

along with so many other things till we heal, as we are prone to many

imbalances on this journey

We all have to do what we feel is best for us

listen to our own bodies

to heal I have found.

Originally till it  all settled  somewhat, I needed the Dao

supplement, now only if there is  ANY  doubt about foods eaten,

do I need them.

So they are there on an as needed basis, and I adjust my

diet as needed so I dont suffer a setback and get slammed back

into a wave.

Good luck and I hope you find your solutions and heal soon.  :smitten:

Good luck and I hope you find your solutions and heal soon.  :smitten:

Thank you, Sky. I've always believed that everyone's healing path is different, just as each person's bio-chemistry, trauma history, genetics, etc. are unique. I am glad that you have found solutions that work for you! Wishing you the very best.

I used food when I was overvcoming my panic attacks inf the first year of withdrawal. The first book I had read was about amino acids, fats and protein to calm down the CNS.

Well. For over 12 months, I carried boiled eggs in my little handbag. Better than lorazepam in an acute panic attack. Although people might react irritated with me hysterically peeling an egg in the elevator.

Later I learned about fats and how to use them and fibers, then herbs and the japanese/chinese stuff like "kudzu", miso, and different sea foods/sea spaghetti.

The thing I am mostly angry is that nature provides a hole pharmacy for me but humans have hurt this planet so much that it takes a lot of research and trials to find products without chemicals or meds in it. Really really sad.

[f1...]

'Scientists Link Gut Bacteria to Anxiety Disorders (including treatment for PTSD' (2017):

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/scientists-link-gut-bacteria-to-anxiety-disorders-450176.html

Love that link.  Thank you. :smitten:

Stress and  anxiety cause a big factor in the production of histamine for me and give me

major setbacks also.

So many factors play into the gut reactions then the brain  and anxiety.  And so many things have to heal along the way. 

Read many others similar to that in my search for healing,

so much out there re the gut brain reaction to sift and sort.

Hope we all find things that help us all heal eventually.

:smitten:

I very often wonder what I could have become if I lived and grew up in a country where the chinese traditional medicine is the rule medicine. All we learn from studies - they knew that looooooooong before and there is not thing like psych versus body. Its all one and its about a process, never about one single symptom. If you go to a chinese trad. doctor, and you say you feel a pain in your stomach, they would ask you, what they always ask you, cause they somehow "run" from top to bottom and ask about all body processes: How do you sleep, what do you eat, how is your sex drive, what does your poo look like, how does your skin and sweat smells like and have a look on joints, the tongue, the skin and much more. I am always amazed. And the solution and treatment is always one which sees the hole person and the hole process involved. They would never just send you away with a pill, always you get a prescription how to eat the next weeks, how to workout/move/sleep/rest.. whatever... and maybe some acupuncture needles and herbs along the way.

I just love the way they put the symptom into the context. Also my doctor highly appreciated my own knowledge about food and about what my body liked or not. Also the opposite way to my general doctor. Totally different.

Well. For over 12 months, I carried boiled eggs in my little handbag. Better than lorazepam in an acute panic attack. Although people might react irritated with me hysterically peeling an egg in the elevator.

:laugh: LOL. Perfect.

Marigold, completely agree with you about wholistic healing:

The doctor of the future will give no medication, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, diet and in the cause and prevention of disease. (Thomas Edison)