Author Topic: 'The Future of Psychiatry May Be Inside Your Stomach'  (Read 973 times)

[Buddie]

Re: 'The Future of Psychiatry May Be Inside Your Stomach'
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2019, 08:23:19 am »
I have read a lot about the microbiome, and how it develops when you suffer from different diseases or stress. I eat according to chinese medicine seems the old chinese have always known that you just have to eat some things to cure a disease ;D

I just wanted to add, the newest result of science is like the oldest knowledge - eat PRE-biotics, not pro-biotics.
Probiotics are bacteria and not everyone can tolerate it especially if you already have a sick gut they can make inflammation worse.
PREbiotics are the food for the gut bacteria so to speak. If you want to make the good bacteria grow, just feed them.

For me probiotics like Indian fleaseed husks work like a benzo sometimes, they do calm me down. Also they stabilize the blood sugar levels, which has a good effect on panic and anxiety..

I find the idea that I am just the feeder of my gut bacteria "pets" very interesting and every day I wonder did I feed them today and if not, I would do that. I want them to be healthy:-)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 08:46:20 am »
Marigold, I agree about pre-biotics. They're a big part of the full picture, from what I've learnt.

One of the latest ones they're researching is GOS (galacto-oligosaccharides), which seems to have a huge effect on lowering anxiety. This appears to be working for me. (It's 'built into' the probiotic I'm on.)

And for sure, on feeding the gut pets....  ;D  Almond Butter is great for that; cooked onions, too. Loads of cooked veggies, in general....

Thanks for stopping by, Marigold, and for the great info.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:37:03 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:58 am »
Marigold, I agree about pre-biotics! They're a big part of the full picture, from what I've learnt.

One of the latest ones they're researching is GOS (galacto-oligosaccharides), which seems to have a huge effect on lowering anxiety. This appears to be working for me. (It's 'built into' the probiotic I'm on.)

And for sure, on feeding the gut pets....  ;D  Almond Butter is great for that; cooked onions, too. Loads of cooked veggies, in general....

Thanks for stopping by, Marigold, and for the great info.

I cannot tolerate GOS in supplements they seem to kind of start detox processes which my body cannot handle yet. But all I eat has an impact on my gut. Of course!! Thats why food was made for us / or we were made to find the right food for us before supermarkets were invented, right? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 10:47:38 am »
I understand about your reaction to GOS, Marigold. I know that SIBO folks, especially, struggle with it. I have SIBO and I've had to go super-slow on the probiotic (with GOS), as it does cause me some pathogen die-off. But as long as I take breaks as needed, I am starting to see the kind of improvements I've not seen in about a year now.

But everyone is different, and it's very important to go gently and slowly. With the autistic children, we start them often on a pinch of probiotic (about an eighth of a capsule) over the food, just once a week. And it works beautifully, in most cases. We slowly, slowly work up from there....

I absolutely agree with you that food is key. Probiotics are not a silver bullet (nothing is), and I don't believe folks will see all the benefits unless they're eating healthily.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:31:34 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 01:31:57 pm »

I started adding some general?? Pro-biotics a couple of months ago, and so far so good...
-Esp a good change in stool consistency/motility.. (sorry Tmi)

:)

[...], that's good that you can tolerate a general probiotic. As for TMI: if I've learnt one thing, it's that tmi is kind of a non-issue here on BB....  ::)

I always enjoy bumping into to you.  ;) Hope it goes better and better for you.
Hey Wild.. :)
-Well everyone really.. :)

Its true, I had to get my diet ontrack first, and it wasnt so easy.. I had to do it slowly.. Once I felt I had “substance” in my GI, not nuclear waste, I could slowly add the “flora”...  Some good changes this year for sure... Kinda feel im going to need all the balls in my court for this final stage of tapering my last med...
So after I get things established, then the idea is to move on to PRE-Biotics for a while..??
Im kinda feeling organics is going to play a key role, thats what my body is saying yes to...  -as opposed to their mass grown counterparts.. Some non organics I [...] eat unless I cook the hell out of them... :(

A ways to go yet, but shopping is more fun now.. lots to try instead of bread and pizza... :(

My best to All

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2019, 01:55:07 pm »
Hey [...],

As always, enjoyed your post.  :)

Same here, with working on diet first and easing into it. It has taken me a few years, as my digestion was so messed up.

Regarding pre-biotics: many probiotics now have them added in, such as the one I'm using. If yours doesn't, food sources go a long way. Probiotics love fiber -- heaps of steamed veggies, almond butter by the spoonful, for example. I prefer to keep things simple (considering the brain fog during this whole trip).... Yep, just cook the hell out of it.  ;)

And yes to organics. (It's hard to go ALL organic, as there's not always a big enough variety available.) The pesticide/herbicide residues on produce damage the gut bacteria badly. And the GMOs are a disaster.... So it's worth trying to source organic produce as much as possible. I use a box scheme and a local farmers' market.

Cheering you on in your final stage of tapering! I'll be the first to congratulate you on your success update...good luck, friend.

Wild

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2019, 03:26:23 pm »
Hey [...],

As always, enjoyed your post.  :)

Same here, with working on diet first and easing into it. It has taken me a few years, as my digestion was so messed up.

Regarding pre-biotics: many probiotics now have them added in, such as the one I'm using. If yours doesn't, food sources go a long way. Probiotics love fiber -- heaps of steamed veggies, almond butter by the spoonful, for example. I prefer to keep things simple (considering the brain fog during this whole trip).... Yep, just cook the hell out of it.  ;)

And yes to organics. (It's hard to go ALL organic, as there's not always a big enough variety available.) The pesticide/herbicide residues on produce damage the gut bacteria badly. And the GMOs are a disaster.... So it's worth trying to source organic produce as much as possible. I use a box scheme and a local farmers' market.

Cheering you on in your final stage of tapering! I'll be the first to congratulate you on your success update...good luck, friend.

Wild
Thanks mate.. :) 
We are blessed to have an organic Co-op not far away, so that helps when I can get there.. But the supermarket has a fair range too...

Anyways, my best to you too...

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2019, 06:58:03 pm »
I understand about your reaction to GOS, Marigold. I know that SIBO folks, especially, struggle with it. I have SIBO and I've had to go super-slow on the probiotic (with GOS), as it does cause me some pathogen die-off. But as long as I take breaks as needed, I am starting to see the kind of improvements I've not seen in about a year now.

But everyone is different, and it's very important to go gently and slowly. With the autistic children, we start them often on a pinch of probiotic (about an eighth of a capsule) over the food, just once a week. And it works beautifully, in most cases. We slowly, slowly work up from there....

I absolutely agree with you that food is key. Probiotics are not a silver bullet (nothing is), and I don't believe folks will see all the benefits unless they're eating healthily.

Anytime I react on something I NOW think: "I do not tolerate that YET."
My body has showing me through the years exactly, when to eat what kind of food. Thanks to my self-experiments and self-studies about food and diets all over the world I just know more different foods today and really can follow my nose most of the time. Yes, I sniffle around the supermarket or over a market and very often... in the pharmacy (in the corner with the herbs)...
I also have written my own pharmaceutical book, with all foods listed with the symptoms I could help me with it :laugh:
over the time I have learned so much that I had to write it down. Its a bible now, cause I have added supplements and so on.

In my cupboard used to be pills for anything. For the flu, for pain, for sleep, for allergies.
The only pills I still have are some ibuprofen and I think they could be too old now.
The kitchen explodes with herbs, ugly japanese sea weads, seeds, oils,-- my friends say its the kitchen of a real witch.
Well, knew it.. :heybabe:

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2019, 07:00:33 pm »

So you work with children? Have you seen the latest studies about omega 3 fat acids and autistic children?
I started a supplement with omega 3 lately. I finally found a product based on algae instead of fish oil. I am curious about the results, I will give it a try for 6 months.

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2019, 07:31:07 pm »

Anytime I react on something I NOW think: "I do not tolerate that YET."
My body has showing me through the years exactly, when to eat what kind of food. Thanks to my self-experiments and self-studies about food and diets all over the world I just know more different foods today and really can follow my nose most of the time. Yes, I sniffle around the supermarket or over a market and very often... in the pharmacy (in the corner with the herbs)...
I also have written my own pharmaceutical book, with all foods listed with the symptoms I could help me with it :laugh:
over the time I have learned so much that I had to write it down. Its a bible now, cause I have added supplements and so on.

In my cupboard used to be pills for anything. For the flu, for pain, for sleep, for allergies.
The only pills I still have are some ibuprofen and I think they could be too old now.
The kitchen explodes with herbs, ugly japanese sea weads, seeds, oils,-- my friends say its the kitchen of a real witch.
Well, knew it.. :heybabe:

Yes! It just takes time. As the body heals, we tolerate more and more. I often have to remind myself just to get out of the way of my own body -- it knows the way. I just have to remove the many poisons (medications, crappy non-foods, self-abusive attitudes)....

And then there's a yucky phase to get through, as the body throws off the poisons, before we get to the good part. But, when we get to the other side, we realise it was so worth the suffering. It's like a light gets switched on.

And ditto on the kitchen.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:39:21 pm by [Buddie] »