Author Topic: 'The Future of Psychiatry May Be Inside Your Stomach'  (Read 972 times)

[Buddie]

'The Future of Psychiatry May Be Inside Your Stomach'
« on: December 16, 2019, 05:38:16 pm »
https://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4595712/gut-feelings-the-future-of-psychiatry-may-be-inside-your-stomach

Boston psychiatrist James Greenblatt treats (and cures) disorders such as severe OCD, ADHD, intrusive thoughts, etc. with probiotics -- based on the fact that there are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.

Some excerpts:

“...around 90 percent of our cells are actually bacterial, and bacterial genes outnumber human genes by a factor of 99 to 1”.

Article links to several scientific studies investigating the role of the gut-brain axis (and the microbiome) in anxiety disorders.

“There are beginning to be suggestions that this type of probiotic treatment is worth pursuing. Whether we can use this to improve people’s lives, well, the door is just beginning to open on this.”

Interesting anecdotal link: https://howicuredmyhairpulling.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/how-i-cured-my-own-chronic-hair-pulling-trichotillomania-ocd/  Posts by folks who are curing their trichotillomania (OCD/ICD) using probiotics only....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:05:11 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: 'The Future of Psychiatry May Be Inside Your Stomach'
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 05:45:55 pm »
It's about time they're finally recognizing this!!!

I have problems with probiotics, but I cheer on the article. I'll have to read it later, but thank you for this!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 05:58:15 pm »
[...], you're very welcome.

I had problems with probiotics, too -- couldn't tolerate any. I did some research and found out that it's most likely that we don't tolerate something called d-lactic acid, in addition to histamine. (Most of us have histamine issues in w/d.) The trick is to try a probiotic that's d-lactate and histamine free.

So I found one of the few that fulfills that requirement: Lifted Bifidus Mood Boost. (There's also one by Custom Probiotics, but I think it's more pricey; autistic kiddos have great results with it.) But you have to start low and slow...as in a quarter or less of a capsule every second day. And work your way up to 1 to 2 a day. Then stick to it for at least 2 to 6 months.... I'm trying that now. So far, so good. First one I've been able to tolerate.

Wishing you well, [...]!

[...]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:06:41 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:04:39 pm »
[...], you're very welcome.

I had problems with probiotics, too -- couldn't tolerate any  I did some research and found out that it's most likely that we don't tolerate something called d-lactic acid, in addition to histamine. (Most of us have histamine issues in w/d.) The trick is to try a probiotic that's d-lactate and histamine free.

So I found one of the few that fulfills that requirement: Lifted Bifidus Mood Boost. (There's also one by Custom Probiotics, but I think it's more pricey; autistic kiddos have great results with it.)

But you have to start low and slow...as in a quarter or less of a capsule every second day. And work your way up to 1 to 2 a day.

Then stick to it for at least 2 to 6 months.... I'm trying that now. So far, so good. First one I've been able to tolerate.

Wishing you well, [...]!

[...]

Agree also. [...]  :thumbsup:

probiotics that  dont affect histamine until we have at least healed somewhat.

Had to research lots and lots  and  I find a really big difference now for me.   :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 08:09:38 pm »
What's the difference in taking probiotics and implementing probiotic yogurt into one's diet?

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 08:16:50 pm »

Had to research lots and lots  and  I find a really big difference now for me.   :smitten:

Sky, that's so hopeful! Thank you for posting. How long have you been using them for, dosages, results, etc. -- if you don't mind me asking? It would be great if we could all learn more about this....

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 08:23:42 pm »
What's the difference in taking probiotics and implementing probiotic yogurt into one's diet?

Boom, some probiotic yogurt is great, I'm sure, but you'd probably have to research brands, check quality, etc. Yogurts can vary widely and are less 'standardized', in that sense. There's a lot of crap on the market....

High-quality probiotics are usually stronger, many containing 30-billion live cultures or more. And if you know you're sensitive to certain bacterial strains -- ones that induce histamine or d-lactate, for example -- you can pick a probiotic that excludes those strains (until your gut is healed more).

In my case, I'm so sensitive at this stage that I can't tolerate yogurt or sauerkraut at all. But I want to improve gut function, so I had to research alternatives (including diet).

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 08:42:24 pm »
They actually patented 2 strains of Lactobacillus Helveticus and Bifobacterium Longum that are supposed to help alleviate anxiety and depression in Canada. I remember reading about this years ago, but the product was only available there in a sort of pixie stix form. They have a few that include those strains on amazon now if anyone's interested. Apparently they work synergystically.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 08:42:44 pm »

Sky, that's so hopeful! Thank you for posting. How long have you been using them for, dosages, results, etc. -- if you don't mind me asking? It would be great if we could all learn more about this....

Posted this some time ago plus some other threads on the same thing.

Benzos are known to have anti histamine affects, so when we go off them we need
to be aware that it might take time for the body to adjust and take care of our histamine naturally as we heal.

https://factvsfitness.com/probiotics-histamine-intolerance/

Probiotics for Histamine Intolerance or causing high histamine levels.

The list below details exactly which probiotics should be avoided,
which have shown to be beneficial probiotics for histamine intolerance
 and which probiotics are still in question or may benefit certain symptoms only.

Species that may need to be avoided:

Lactobacillus casei - this species increases both histamine and tyramine
Lactobacillus Bulgaricus
Streptococcus thermophilus
Lactobacillus delbrueckii
Lactobacillus helveticus

Species that may be beneficial

Bifidobacterium infantis
Lactobacillus gasseri
Bifidobacterium breve
Bifidobacterium bifidum
Lactobacillus salivarius
Lactobacillus rhamnosus (especially GG) – stabilizes mast cells, reduces sensitivity of histamine receptors and allergy-associated receptors
while up-regulating anti-inflammatory cells

Bifidobacterium longum – assists in histamine degradation.
Enhances the expression of genes that create tight junctions,
which are molecules that hold intestinal cells together,
 in order to reduce post-meal inflammatory response
 and prevent or improve intestinal hyperpermeability (“leaky gut syndrome”)
 which is a contributor to symptoms of histamine intolerance.

Bifidobacterium lactis – helps to break down both histamine and tyramine5.

Lactobacillus plantarum – helps to break down several biogenic amines including histamine and tyramine

Additional Strains of Importance:

Lactobacillus reuteri – although many histamine intolerance lists place this bacterial strain in a histamine producing category,
 Lactobacillus reuteri is an interesting case because, in addition to raising histamine, it also increases levels of anti-inflammatory cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)7.

Saccharomyces-Boulardii – also helps to regulate digestive issues, especially diarrhea.

Lactobacillus lactis – debate exists over whether helpful, harmful or neutral for histamine intolerance8.

Lactococcus Lactis – used in producing some high-histamine foods but, other studies have suggested this strain to be histamine-neutral

Lactobacillus acidophilus – debate exists over whether helpful, harmful or neutral for histamine intolerance.

and another link   https://wholenewmom.com/health-concerns/low-histamine-probiotics/

Food for thought  We are all different.    :smitten:

some  other threads  here on the forum re this  also

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232203.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=226519.msg2914031#msg2914031

Hope that helps

as we are all very different

and need to listen to our own bodies

as we research and  heal.

Good luck  :smitten:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:09:56 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 06:25:17 am »
They actually patented 2 strains of Lactobacillus Helveticus and Bifobacterium Longum that are supposed to help alleviate anxiety and depression in Canada. I remember reading about this years ago, but the product was only available there in a sort of pixie stix form. They have a few that include those strains on amazon now if anyone's interested. Apparently they work synergystically.

CL, I've heard of that, too. Those are good strains, apparently (if you can tolerate the lacto strains, which I can't yet). Many, many strains have yet to be researched -- in the US, the funding is not readily available, as there's not a lot of profit to be made off probiotics. Let's hope things keep moving in the right direction.

B. longum (which is in the Lifted probiotic I'm using) seems to be slowly improving my anxiety and depression baseline, so I'm hopeful. But yeah, jury's out.... (I don't want to create exaggerated or false expectations.) Here's an interesting article by a doctor about how probiotics -- esp. B. longum -- can reverse aging: https://www.healthrevelations.com/2015/12/01/probiotics-reverse-aging-gut/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 08:31:23 am by [Buddie] »