Hypoventilation and breathing trouble

[Bu...]

Can anyone tell me if slow shallow breathing is normal as a withdrawal symptom?  I can't seem to get a full breath sometimes and it seems to come in waves like all the other super symptoms I'm feeling.  I'm exercising and taking better care but still.. I feel like I'm hardly breathing at night too and that just keeps me up with anxiety about it.  Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I have it sometimes too, a terrible feeling where you can't ever take a full breath, i only get it during bad waves now but still drives me crazy..

Yes... shortness and shallow breath... particularly at night when I am laying down and conscious of my breathing. Sleeping in a recliner helps.  Don't notice it much in the day.

This is from Matt Samets Benzopedia...

http://www.benzosupport.org/benzopedia.htm

'' "You feel like you can't breathe. You can't draw a satisfying breath. You can't suck air all the way down into your lungs. Your breath is erratic or ragged or forced. You hear yourself hyperventilating, short, sharp inhales shrugging your shoulders upward in little jerks and gasps. You take frequent large inhales, and even that much oxygen doesn't feel sufficient.  Your breathing improves at times, for no apparent reason. " - Matt

"The more you fight the symptoms, the worse you'll feel. The more you tell yourself, "This can't possibly be happening to me," the longer it will keep happening. The more you catastrophize about the severity or duration of your withdrawal, the stronger the symptoms.

It took me months to get to a place where I could admit that my life had been changed drastically by benzodiazepine withdrawal, and it took me months after that to stop fearing the symptoms. Acceptance has been the easiest way through. No matter what each day or night brings, if I'm able to step back, analyze what's going on and see it as a product of withdrawal, then move on as best I can, the more quickly I recover.

Acceptance, in benzo withdrawal, is everything."

"The more you fight the symptoms, the worse you'll feel. The more you tell yourself, "This can't possibly be happening to me," the longer it will keep happening. The more you catastrophize about the severity or duration of your withdrawal, the stronger the symptoms.

It took me months to get to a place where I could admit that my life had been changed drastically by benzodiazepine withdrawal, and it took me months after that to stop fearing the symptoms. Acceptance has been the easiest way through. No matter what each day or night brings, if I'm able to step back, analyze what's going on and see it as a product of withdrawal, then move on as best I can, the more quickly I recover.

Nice.  :thumbsup:

This is from Matt Samets Benzopedia...

http://www.benzosupport.org/_derived/benzopedia.htm_cmp_blends100_bnr.gif

'' "You feel like you can't breathe. You can't draw a satisfying breath. You can't suck air all the way down into your lungs. Your breath is erratic or ragged or forced. You hear yourself hyperventilating, short, sharp inhales shrugging your shoulders upward in little jerks and gasps. You take frequent large inhales, and even that much oxygen doesn't feel sufficient.  Your breathing improves at times, for no apparent reason. " - Matt

Hiya,

That link goes to blank page?

• 4 weeks later...

It's air hunger. It is one of the worst symptoms to go through. I have it off and on.

I see my physical therapist when it appears, she works on loosening up my chest muscles, huge help. I also practice a variety of various breathing techniques to get  me out of shallow rapid air intake. My PT recommends slow deep breathing down to your solar plexus, not the abdomen. Also sticking your fingers under the bottom of the rib cage, hard. Do an exaggerated and deep inhale, really push out that area and dig into it with the fingers, hold for 4 counts, release it deep and  completely empty, still digging in with your fingers.

I do daily yoga to cope with withdraw in general, and always include chest opening exercises as a prevention for air hunger.

For shortness of breath, I do cardio. It forces the lungs to breath harder, it does help. I stay upright while engaged in cardio to minimize dizziness.

Hope those help.

Also, thanks for that link, more resources, yay!

[27...]

Morrewig

Thank you for that link, I didn't even know what this was.  I just knew I was breathing funky.  I appreciate the link and your input

B

Morrewig

Thank you for that link, I didn't even know what this was.  I just knew I was breathing funky.  I appreciate the link and your input

B

Welcome B.  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

I had air hunger psychological

even before benzo was ordered.

It was due to grief loss anxiety

and psych reasons .

It was one reason benzo was

Ordered but it did not get better

On the benzo.

Now she ordered Abilify

I have so many sx

I took it once and just

Don’t think I can continue

To take it. Ty

• 3 months later...
Thank you all so much..  I hadn't been back since I posted this.  This info has been incredibly comforting.  I thought I was gonna lose it.  I do a yoga and meditation routine every morning .  I ride my bike every day. Climbed 1000' in 25 minutes monday so definitely getting the hard cardio.  Thats what was bugging me out.  I told myself that if I had some kind of lung issue there would be no way I could do that.  I guess the thing that freaks me out is that shallow breathing at night.  I wake with the feeling/fear that I'm just gonna stop breathing.  Morreweg. Acceptance is key. THANK YOU! Thank you everyone here.  I can't believe this friggin' withdrawal is lasting this long! Is that normal? 2 years and a couple months later? 

Great post everyone. Thank you thank you!! I have this at night too. Try to distract as much as possible. I had no idea this was a thing. Just fought through it like all the rest of the side effects. Thanks again.  -K