Peter Breggin MD- Psychiatric Drugs Are More Dangerous than You Ever Imagined

[Fl...]

Dr. Breggin's been a psychiatrist for decades and has seen the damage from psyche drugs and knows what they do.  He even testifies in murder trials for the defendants about how the psyche drugs were responsible for the perpetrator's actions.

Breggin is one of the good guys. One of the few. It's amazing how there are only a handful of doctors who really get it but I am glad there are a few. Lets us lesser educated folks know we aren't crazy.

Yes, psych drugs are the death knell. We need good medical Dr.’s like Breggin and also need better counselors, therapists and psychologists.

We need help understanding different aspects of human psychology, access and help with better guidance in life from a young age on. Better structure for an education which actually makes a difference in life. What good is math or science when you’re falling apart at the seams emotionally? The family unit needs help, there are so many things. If psych drug damage wasn’t preventing me health-wise I’d be back in school trying to figure out a role to help. Maybe someday.

There’s a lot that a human being needs, and a lot we don’t need that we are getting. Some changes need to happen. It all seems like a lot that needs attention, issues of imprinting at young ages, attachment and launching. I am not for over-control of our personal lives, but we need help. Young men and women need better role models, and then there is all the political and corporate stuff that gets in the way of any power to make wholesome change. We can’t agree on values, etc, so it’s a hard problem... How many factors are there? It’s overwhelming.

But regardless, any good guy (or woman of course) in the health field is a win. We need more who go through school and actually care, and ways for them not to become too weathered and disillusioned by the educational system and professional atmosphere and structures in place. We really do need good psychologists. I have one and my mother said she wished she’d had him before she’d ever had a child. I really kind of wish there was help for kids and people before they become parents. Some way to interrupt the cycle and help people make better choices in life that aren’t the quick fix ideas of a pill, or other last-ditch attempts to soothe symptoms of trauma, grief and unmet needs such as alcohol and unhealthy relationships. Or food. Too much technology and trying to disappear into distractions, or also addictions like exercise and work. Complexities, and I’m oversimplifying and jumping all over the place.

I know it sounds like another topic entirely, so I don’t mean to go off-topic. I just really feel it’s so important that there is other help and are other solutions to replace the dependency on such damaging answers as psych drugs. Yes we need help with diet and better medicine with Dr.’s like this, and we also need better solutions for the emotional (and mental) health aspects. So much of it is rooted in the emotional life and physiology of attachment and trauma. People need support and education in these ways, understanding self-value etc. Self-respect and boundaries, we need help with these things.

Someone who is disrupted can be mentally fine, it’s not that they lack logic or the ability to rationalize, its not that they are mentally ill. It’s that the emotions and cellular memories of trauma etc. over-ride logic and rationale, and are more powerful. Their drives, or lack there of. Then when systems need calming, or a need met and the person is unclear on how to solve the meeting of these needs or feels their only option is in actuality not a healthy solution, because there is no way to meet that need by their perceptions or perhaps (for the time) in all actuality, addictions form.

One example is someone who lives in an isolated community or is too isolated in some way, it’s hard to feel like there is a point to living. Then add trauma on top of trauma, mistakes I could have avoided had I truly known the consequences... including the use of psych drugs which further serve to isolate. Then you get people constantly giving advice, which adds insult to injury, when what we need are better ways to relate to one another. There’s language and are expressions that just need to go, like “be positive.” No, there is more to it than that, there are deeper problems which don’t get addressed in our relationships with ourselves, with each other and to life. The solution isn’t always “chin up, have a good attitude.” Or for me someone who does have real faith, “Lean on God and read your Bible.” Really, you think? Insulting me (my intelligence, strength to survive the unsurvivable etc.) with advice on effin everything including exercise and diet—as if I hadn’t thought it through already—is not helpful. Really we need help with our emotions, and to be taught never to give advice but to sit with someone and listen, to just be with someone we are trying to “help.” It’s so insulting to get advice when what is needed is understanding, emotional depth, clarity and strength. Emotional safety.

What I think I’d do is all of those things and go to school to understand some way to actually contribute to the emotional and mental lives of others, with consideration of the physiological. That is if I can get by on the bare minimum support of what it takes to recover from my own emotional traumas and loneliness etc.

Yes and thank you for the video, I agree. And also we need good doctors of psychology because scrapping the profession because it’s largely been a failure thus far I don’t feel is a solution, not that this was implied. I don’t see it come up though in discussion. We need great psychologists and therefore an improved field of psychology, along with good programs to implement better support and guidance for people. This is, of course, my opinion.

Helping Deeply Disturbed Persons, Peter R. Breggin M.D.

https://youtu.be/0F_kLbtnWWM

I see that Dr. Peter Breggin does have the right idea about therapy as I started looking through some of the videos.

I heard him mentioned before and I hear people and all kinds of things mentioned many times here but it can be overwhelming to try and listen and read or look through and actually take information in often for me.

Been on psych drugs since 1985 bought into everything told about needing them for life etc.. that was when I was 23, now 57. Everything Breggin talks about is true. A life effed up even more by psych drugs. Makes me sick to hear this. The same lies are being cycled in today's young people. Big pharma is our current day Holocaust. Utterly discussing.

If only we found this video before consuming our first benzos. Then again, I didn't even know Valium was a benzo. Heck, I didn't even know what a benzo was.

Dave.

That's the thing. You have to be open to hearing that sort of information otherwise you will simply tune it out. When the government, "health authorities", doctors, the general public and often the media are telling us that we NEED these drugs, who is going to listen to a few isolated voices telling us that they are dangerous?

If only we found this video before consuming our first benzos. Then again, I didn't even know Valium was a benzo. Heck, I didn't even know what a benzo was.

Dave.

That's the thing. You have to be open to hearing that sort of information otherwise you will simply tune it out. When the government, "health authorities", doctors, the general public and often the media are telling us that we NEED these drugs, who is going to listen to a few isolated voices telling us that they are dangerous?

This is very true.  I even joined benzobuddies once in 2008, and did a taper then, which resulted in a reinstatement and thought that I was "different" than other people on benzobuddies and needed clonazepam for my panic disorder.  Now I don't even think I ever had a panic disorder.

This is very true.  I even joined benzobuddies once in 2008, and did a taper then, which resulted in a reinstatement and thought that I was "different" than other people on benzobuddies and needed clonazepam for my panic disorder.  Now I don't even think I ever had a panic disorder.

We are taught to believe that mental illnesses are a "thing" that can be fixed by drugs. I have no doubt that the things that people are feeling that lead to a diagnosis are real, but when you are enlightened to the fact that the chemical imbalance thing has never been proven in any way, shape or form and that these diagnoses are a product of a panel of people who vote them into existence, AND that most of the drugs that are supposed to "treat" these conditions are only shown to be marginally more effective than placebos (in tests that were performed and picked directly by the pharmaceutical companies that are trying to make money off of them) you start to look at these illnesses with a lot of skepticism.

Unfortunately most people don't realize these things and they have never bothered to stop and think about it so they default to these commonly held beliefs. Of course the drug companies and the rest of the medical establishment is more than happy to perpetuate these myths and misconceptions.

Dr. Breggin believes in love and good relationships to help heal people.  He said he never prescribes psyche drugs anymore ever.  Only problem is is that many people who are alone don't have a good support system or good relationships and when you're damaged by drugs, many of us can't even get out to socialize and make new contacts and have friends.  That's the situation I'm in here now.  Can't even go out and socialize because I'm too sick and I don't even work anymore.  These drugs have damaged me beyond belief.  It's unbearable living in this hell like I am everyday.  I feel very sick to my stomach all the time too.  I also have too much external stress on me all the time. 

....It's amazing how there are only a handful of doctors who really get it.

I don't buy the "ignorance" excuse.... repeated over and over and over across a whole spectrum of "medical professionals"..,, its a "team" mantra....  the "thin blue line" not to be crossed.

I have no doubt that doctors do know what these evil drugs have done to patients (and continue to do to new patients)..... they just like quick, easy, guaranteed monthly income. Psychiatry in particular has never been about “treating illness”. It has always been about permanently managing society’s outliers. When it started to not have enough of these “patients”, it ventured into turning normal human experiences into “chronic mental illnesses”, and into dealing addictive drugs, in order to recoup its lost clientele.... IMHO, of course. 

Psychiatry in particular has never been about “treating illness”. It has always been about permanently managing society’s outliers.

This is true, but I don't believe for a second that most doctors know the true extent of the damage these drugs can do. There is certainly a huge incentive for them to continue with the status quo and not look too deeply into things, but I am pretty cynical when it comes to my outlook on human nature and I don't even believe that doctors are handing out these drugs left and right knowing full well that they can and do destroy a non trivial percentage of people's lives.

Some of these comments are bordering on, if not already over the line, of anti-doctor, anti-medication and anti-psychiatry. As has happened many times here in the past, if it continues the thread will be locked.

You may state your opinions as it relates to your own care and experience. Generalizations like the last two posts are not within the forum’s guidelines.

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments:

Many of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, the pharmaceutical industry, health regulators, or the medical profession as a whole. While we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down and mistreated in their personal medical care, you must keep your feelings and comments in perspective.

Some of our members are vulnerable and might be rather suggestible when they arrive at this website and forum. Your comments might have undue and unintended results upon some of those reading them. Your own experiences with the medical profession are precisely this – your own experiences. It is the view of BenzoBuddies that it would be irresponsible for members to not seek or ignore medical advice from their doctors, psychiatrists and other healthcare providers. Of course, doctors do make mistakes, and there is much confusion and misinformation about the potential side and withdrawal effects of benzodiazepines. But if you are dissatisfied with the advice or service provided by your doctor, you should probably seek the opinion of another doctor. Medical advice from your doctor should not be replaced by the suggestions of anonymous people on the Internet – this is plain common sense. You should discuss with your doctor any ideas and suggestions made by members of this forum and website.

Few of our members are medical professionals, but even their advice should be treated with due caution. Firstly, we do not screen our members, so there is no way of verifying their medical credentials. Secondly, they cannot know your full and true medical history, so cannot make sound 'diagnoses'. Thirdly, if you are skeptical of the medical profession and/or dissatisfied with the performance of your doctor or psychiatrist, how can medical advice from someone on the Internet be more trusted than the advice from a real-world and verifiable doctor? Your doctor is your medical caregiver, not BenzoBuddies, nor any other support website.

By suggesting that others should not trust doctors, psychiatrists and the medical profession as a whole, you potentially endanger other members and visitors to this forum. BenzoBuddies is not an anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry website. Our members need their doctors, not only to supply them with prescriptions for benzodiazepines, but to meet their other medical needs too. In short, you are free to describe the shortcomings in your own medical treatment, but make clear that you are writing about your personal experiences; do not spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatrist propaganda.

Occasionally, members link to Scientology anti-psychiatry propaganda (usually because they have been duped). The posting of anti-psychiatry propaganda at BenzoBuddies is not allowed. Because of the obfuscation tactics employed by Scientology, all content posted to BenzoBuddies we identify as Scientology-propaganda, or any so-called 'information' originating from Scientology, will be deleted. We ask members to help us by wearing their 'critical thinking hats' when they come across anti-psychiatry comments at BenzoBuddies (please report such instances), and if in any doubt, please contact a member of the team in advance of posting information, a link or video. Because many of our members rely upon the professional help of psychiatrists and therapists, information regarding psychiatry or psychiatric practice originating from Scientology or the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (or any other Scientology front group) is expressly disallowed at this forum.

If you wish to keep the thread open you’ll need to follow the guidelines. Frankly, it is my personal opinion that some of the conspiracy-type comments posted here are simply nonsense.

Challis