benzo birthday for me

[do...]

Greetings, Fellow Benzo Freaks--

I tapered off Valium completely on 10/7/19 & I am feeling pretty human now that it's 12/15/19. I will not be surprised or disheartened if I crash & burn yet again, but the Waves have lessened in intensity a LOT. The first month was rugged & I appreciated all the info I got on this site immensely. Fear of the unknown is quite potent; simply knowing one's symptoms are common eases that fear.

Xanax was prescribed to me in varying doses for the past 30 years. I was, indeed, in a bad, bad space when I first took it but after a few years, succeeding psychiatrists & neurologists simply continued the tradition. And I defined myself as an "anxious person."

Two years ago, I made a Big Change. I ended a 28-year relationship. I figured I might as well change a lot of other stuff so I decided to taper off the MASSIVE amount of opioid pain meds I'd been taking for many years, too (510 mme daily--thanks, Fentanyl patches!). My neurologist was not in favor of the move but I did it anyway. I also started working with a trainer to find better ways of dealing with chronic neck/back pain. 

As I was tapering off the opioids, the neurologist told me that he wanted all of his patients to get off benzos. I figured getting off the 1.5 mg Xanax daily that I'd been taking for so long would be no problem. SURPISE!!! It was a problem. I switched to Valium & then did a slow taper, dropping by just small amounts every 3-4 weeks--or longer. I took the time I needed. I cannot imagine doing it as quickly as the Ashton Protocol BUT that's just me. Everyone is different because the bioavailability of the drug is different for each person.

I am now off all opioids & all benzos. Of the two, the benzo taper was MUCH weirder. And I was taking the equivalent of 51 ten milligram morphine tablets daily (in this form, it would have been a Major Food Group). And still, the benzo taper was/is trickier. It is not linear--you don't get a little better each day. Instead, you must accept that you'll go up & down for a while & that your best bet is to relax & roll with it.

So, I am feeling a lot better these days. I know I'm still "in it" but it is not so acute. I don't make a lot of plans since I don't know how I'll feel on any given day. If I wake up at 2 am, I turn on an audiobook. I don't worry about 'doing enough.' Getting off these drugs is my Most Important Task right now. Anything else I accomplish is gravy.

Congratulations on getting off! You have achieved a major accomplishment and I wishing you steady healing ahead. 

You posted what I needed to hear today.  The part about it being up and down has made me feel I have been doing something wrong.  I have struggled wirh the mental symtoms of Clonazapam the most, so it's hard to find clarity.

Great job on being free from benzos!

the benzo taper was/is trickier. It is not linear--you don't get a little better each day. Instead, you must accept that you'll go up & down for a while & that your best bet is to relax & roll with it.

that's what I felt the whole way through my taper. So much "go slower" in the forum when sometimes "just keep going" might be the better advice.

Wow, that was a great success story, Doveswan.  Your attitude is great and so spot on imo.  Congratulations. I know soon you will be making plans!    :smitten: :smitten:  Mary 💜

Congratulations Doveswan on getting off both Benzos and opioids!  I hope you're giving yourself many well-deserved pats on the back.  Sounds like you have a terrific attitude and it's very inspiring! Thanks for posting your Celebration. :)