For what reason were you prescribed a benzo?

[Cr...]

A panic attack. My doctor at the time failed to mention to me that these were addictive. I am years later just now finding out.

As most here I assume feel the same, I am very displaced. I used to trust the medical industry. Now I wonder if they even know what they're doing.

A panic attack. My doctor at the time failed to mention to me that these were addictive. I am years later just now finding out.

As most here I assume feel the same, I am very displaced. I used to trust the medical industry. Now I wonder if they even know what they're doing.

Oh yeah, read around here and you'll find that most people feel a general mistrust of the health industry/big Pharma.

Its puts profits over people.

We are all casualties of it.

Good old fashioned panic attacks and anxiety.  In my first 18 months after being diagnosed with panic disorder I had tried several antidepressants for PD but they didn’t help much.  I was then put on a combination of Wellbutrin and Klonopin which worked very well for the PD, anxiety and depression I had been getting.  Eventually, my brain stopped working altogether and knew I had to get off.

Now if my brain would start working again I would be golden but it’s not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BlueRose,

Benzos do all sorts of damage because the benzo chemicals hit so many GABA-A receptors, and down-regulates them. There are trillions of them. It's no wonder we suffer a terrific lot of pain in this process, and the reason we do is because the brain is continuously trying to correct itself. The brain counteracts GABA-A down-regulation by upregulating trillions of glutamate receptors. It's okay to take a benzo for one time, because the brain then reverts back to normal operation. However with continual benzo reinforcement, tolerance and dependence quickly form as the brain makes semi-permanent adjustments to the continuous presence of the benzo, and can even form new neuronal pathways. When you take the benzo away, even by the smallest amount, the brain goes bonkers from the excess glutamate present.  :crazy:

Dave.  8)

(takes off admin hat, posting as buddie  ;) )

Trillions! Is that Google-able? Enquiring minds want to know.

[66...]

in the brain alone.

The average human brain has about 86 billion neurons(or nerve cells) and many more neuroglia (or glial cells) which serve to support and protect the neurons

. Each neuron may be connected to up to 10,000 other neurons,

passing signals to each other via as many as 1,000 trillion synaptic connections.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/brain-metrics/are_there_really_as_many/

and we have neurons in the body also... the brain neurons connect and talk to. 

Just googled it    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   

in the brain alone.

The average human brain has about 86 billion neurons(or nerve cells) and many more neuroglia (or glial cells) which serve to support and protect the neurons

. Each neuron may be connected to up to 10,000 other neurons,

passing signals to each other via as many as 1,000 trillion synaptic connections.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/brain-metrics/are_there_really_as_many/

and we have neurons in the body also... the brain neurons connect and talk to. 

Just googled it    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

:thumbsup:

Hey, all -

I was prescribed Benzos for agitation, anxiety, mania.  But at the time what wasn't acknowledged much less understood, was that these "symptoms" were caused by medication.  Thus began the 20-year journey to discover my symptoms were iatrogenic.

eli