Author Topic: For what reason were you prescribed a benzo?  (Read 741 times)

[Buddie]

Re: For what reason were you prescribed a benzo?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 12:33:06 am »
Panic attacks - thanks to out of control stress levels
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 01:59:08 am »
I took the Xanax for occasional RLS.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 07:13:38 am »
Hi [...],
Benzos do all sorts of damage because the benzo chemicals hit so many GABA-A receptors, and down-regulates them. There are trillions of them. It's no wonder we suffer a terrific lot of pain in this process, and the reason we do is because the brain is continuously trying to correct itself. The brain counteracts GABA-A down-regulation by upregulating trillions of glutamate receptors. It's okay to take a benzo for one time, because the brain then reverts back to normal operation. However with continual benzo reinforcement, tolerance and dependence quickly form as the brain makes semi-permanent adjustments to the continuous presence of the benzo, and can even form new neuronal pathways. When you take the benzo away, even by the smallest amount, the brain goes bonkers from the excess glutamate present.  :crazy:

From the responses I've seen so far to my original post, a few people suffer from pre-benzo insomnia. I believe a lot of what we experience, be it anxiety, depression, sciatic pain, nerve pain or insomnia is actually coming from an injury or malformation of our spines. Cerebrospinal fluid controls virtually every aspect of our bodies, and it's named that for a reason. I'm in no way dismissing the damage benzos do - they quite rightly exacerbate the problem a thousand-fold and are extremely toxic for the body. But before we decided to take a benzo, we had a problem in the first place. I firmly believe our spine is the reason we suffer from elevated anxiety, depression, sciatic pain, nerve pain, and even insomnia.

It's a funny thing - both my parents have spinal trouble and so do I, and we are worry-warts, yet my sister has no spinal trouble and she is as cool as a cucumber, and works a high-pressure job.
[...].  8)

Thank you [...] for an in-depth explanation of a complex subject. You have been doing a lot of homework, I see. Your theory sounds very likely as I do have back issues(can't remember when I didn't).

Our bodies are fine-tuned. Anything out of tune will cause a ripple reaction throughout our system. And our spines are a significant part of our bodies. Wish there was a medicinal concoction to take me back to pre-benzo days.

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 10:35:49 am »
Hi [...],
Benzos do all sorts of damage because the benzo chemicals hit so many GABA-A receptors, and down-regulates them. There are trillions of them. It's no wonder we suffer a terrific lot of pain in this process, and the reason we do is because the brain is continuously trying to correct itself. The brain counteracts GABA-A down-regulation by upregulating trillions of glutamate receptors. It's okay to take a benzo for one time, because the brain then reverts back to normal operation. However with continual benzo reinforcement, tolerance and dependence quickly form as the brain makes semi-permanent adjustments to the continuous presence of the benzo, and can even form new neuronal pathways. When you take the benzo away, even by the smallest amount, the brain goes bonkers from the excess glutamate present.  :crazy:

From the responses I've seen so far to my original post, a few people suffer from pre-benzo insomnia. I believe a lot of what we experience, be it anxiety, depression, sciatic pain, nerve pain or insomnia is actually coming from an injury or malformation of our spines. Cerebrospinal fluid controls virtually every aspect of our bodies, and it's named that for a reason. I'm in no way dismissing the damage benzos do - they quite rightly exacerbate the problem a thousand-fold and are extremely toxic for the body. But before we decided to take a benzo, we had a problem in the first place. I firmly believe our spine is the reason we suffer from elevated anxiety, depression, sciatic pain, nerve pain, and even insomnia.

It's a funny thing - both my parents have spinal trouble and so do I, and we are worry-warts, yet my sister has no spinal trouble and she is as cool as a cucumber, and works a high-pressure job.
[...].  8)

Thank you [...] for an in-depth explanation of a complex subject. You have been doing a lot of homework, I see. Your theory sounds very likely as I do have back issues(can't remember when I didn't).

Our bodies are fine-tuned. Anything out of tune will cause a ripple reaction throughout our system. And our spines are a significant part of our bodies. Wish there was a medicinal concoction to take me back to pre-benzo days.
Yes, it would be nice to travel back in time and undo our past mistakes. Unfortunately, we have to soldier through this benzo crap.
[...].

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2019, 08:41:30 pm »
I was prescribed a benzo to counter anxiety symptoms brought on by anti-depressants, mood stabilizers and a stimulant.

I was on Lexapro, Trazodone, and Wellbutrin which caused me to be extremely tired and sluggish and I slept 12 hours a day, at least.
So then the doctor prescribed me Adderall to stimulate me to be less sluggish.
And then he put me on mood stabilizers because the drug cocktail was making me depressed.
And the combination of all the drugs gave me anxiety (no duh) and so then he prescribed me clonazepam.
And we all know what a benzo does.

I was so over-drugged that I didn't know what was going on and to much of a zombie to Google what the hell was going on.

Finally, my brain/body had enough and I knew I had I make changes! I started weaning off the AD's and mood stabilizers in 2014-2016 and then the benzo in 2017.
Hi [...],
How are you feeling now?
[...].

Thanks [...],

I have had a hell of a time, for sure.
I had many of the physical symptoms but at over two years those have mostly gone away.
My worst symptoms have been the mental anguish (mostly gone) and cognitive impairment (pretty severe).

As the months ticked off after "jumping off" clonazepam, symptoms of dementia crept over my brain. I could practically FEEL the neurons stop communicating with one another and I was overcome with the densest head cloud. I had was trouble calling up words to communicate. I could only speak in short bursts and with small words.

I couldn't write, couldn't recall language, couldn't understand what was being spoken, couldn't read. Very little processing ability.

Now, I am better than that but still struggling. I still feel mentally impaired.
I am listening to an audiobook and enjoying it very much. But I am not sure that I retain much information.

Also, I still have a lot of fatigue. I have headaches and head pressure every day.
I sleep about 4-5 hours at night. Not great, but I'll take it after no sleep at all for over a year.
I also can't tolerate vitamins or herbs at all, either. I can't drink alcohol but that's big deal.

As of a few weeks ago, I have a new symptom: tremendous ear pressure using against my left ear drum.
It is very uncomfortable and it feels like I am wearing an astronaut helmet.
Factor this in with cognitive impairment, and I feel isolated and in my own blunted world.
I went to a doctor to check my ears and they said it was probably allergies (but allergy meds do not help.)
I have searched the BB sight for ear problems and it seems to be related to benzos.

Other than that, I'm doing okay! I can eat, I can exercise some, I can travel a bit.
I don't work and do not know what I could do with this mental impairment.
Thankfully & gratefully, I do not have to worry about that right now.
Much love and healing wishes to you and every one here.

:smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2019, 10:49:23 pm »
I was prescribed benzos for insomnia from Mirtazapine withdrawal. I'm going to go ahead and say it didn't work out  :(

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 03:34:12 am »
A panic attack. My doctor at the time failed to mention to me that these were addictive. I am years later just now finding out.

As most here I assume feel the same, I am very displaced. I used to trust the medical industry. Now I wonder if they even know what they're doing.

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2019, 11:49:06 pm »
A panic attack. My doctor at the time failed to mention to me that these were addictive. I am years later just now finding out.

As most here I assume feel the same, I am very displaced. I used to trust the medical industry. Now I wonder if they even know what they're doing.

Oh yeah, read around here and you'll find that most people feel a general mistrust of the health industry/big Pharma.
Its puts profits over people.
We are all casualties of it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2019, 09:25:29 pm »
Good old fashioned panic attacks and anxiety.  In my first 18 months after being diagnosed with panic disorder I had tried several antidepressants for PD but they didnít help much.  I was then put on a combination of Wellbutrin and Klonopin which worked very well for the PD, anxiety and depression I had been getting.  Eventually, my brain stopped working altogether and knew I had to get off.

Now if my brain would start working again I would be golden but itís not.

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 07:13:21 pm »
Fibromyalgia pain and sleep problems