Author Topic: For what reason were you prescribed a benzo?  (Read 744 times)

[Buddie]

Re: For what reason were you prescribed a benzo?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 11:11:34 pm »
Anxiety attacks
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 01:50:06 am »
I had anxiety from taking Aleve for a couple of years. I tried getting off it, but I had itching, insomnia, and a galloping heart beat. My bp went to 260/110, and none of the doctors knew why. I have only learned this year that I'm extremely allergic to sulfa and sulfonamides. If I'd known this, maybe my anxiety would have gone away. But I was told by a medical person, during my first visit after the hospitalization, that I had "resistant hypertension," and I believed her. So I asked for something for anxiety.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 01:03:55 pm »
Hmm... okay so from what I have read, a lot of people here have sciatic nerve trouble, others have back problems, others have insomnia and anxiety attacks. It seems a common trend that different types of spinal trouble equal sciatica, RLS, insomnia, panic and anxiety attacks.
I have scoliosis, so maybe that's where my muscle spasms originated from.
[...].

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 05:15:26 pm »
Scoliosis can cause that.

There are specific exercises you can do for scoliosis if you are able to.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 09:07:04 pm »
Crowman, my issue for taking Ambien was for insomnia. I have read where others have linked insomnia with anxiety. And although my life has not been stress free, I never thought of myself as being overly anxious. But I do wonder now if, in fact, my insomnia pre-drug use was, in part, caused by undue anxiety. :-\ I do know now it was a BIG mistake to use drugs...albeit legal...for insomnia. If only I knew then what I know now.

I have struggled with chronic back pain most of my adult life....today I'm an aged adult ;D. But I never took a med to sleep due to my pain. It was always because I just could not sleep...would wake up and could not go back to sleep. It was such a struggle and still is to this day.

And it's only been since this benzo/Z-drug mess that my back issue(s) has gone to a whole new level of pain. Benzos affect so many regions of our bodies that diagnosing what's what(when, where, how, and why) becomes a guessing game.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 01:30:53 am »
Scoliosis can cause that.

There are specific exercises you can do for scoliosis if you are able to.
Hey [...],
I'm on the ball with that. I do some back training at the gym when I can go, and do Farmer's Walks which correct your posture.
Another good exercise is to get a piece of dowel (a long piece of rounded wood) and place it against your back. Stretch forward, backward and to the sides with the dowel.

Resistance bands are another really good thing to use.
[...].  8)

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 01:48:18 am »
Crowman, my issue for taking Ambien was for insomnia. I have read where others have linked insomnia with anxiety. And although my life has not been stress free, I never thought of myself as being overly anxious. But I do wonder now if, in fact, my insomnia pre-drug use was, in part, caused by undue anxiety. :-\ I do know now it was a BIG mistake to use drugs...albeit legal...for insomnia. If only I knew then what I know now.

I have struggled with chronic back pain most of my adult life....today I'm an aged adult ;D. But I never took a med to sleep due to my pain. It was always because I just could not sleep...would wake up and could not go back to sleep. It was such a struggle and still is to this day.

And it's only been since this benzo/Z-drug mess that my back issue(s) has gone to a whole new level of pain. Benzos affect so many regions of our bodies that diagnosing what's what(when, where, how, and why) becomes a guessing game.
Hi [...],
Benzos do all sorts of damage because the benzo chemicals hit so many GABA-A receptors, and down-regulates them. There are trillions of them. It's no wonder we suffer a terrific lot of pain in this process, and the reason we do is because the brain is continuously trying to correct itself. The brain counteracts GABA-A down-regulation by upregulating trillions of glutamate receptors. It's okay to take a benzo for one time, because the brain then reverts back to normal operation. However with continual benzo reinforcement, tolerance and dependence quickly form as the brain makes semi-permanent adjustments to the continuous presence of the benzo, and can even form new neuronal pathways. When you take the benzo away, even by the smallest amount, the brain goes bonkers from the excess glutamate present.  :crazy:

From the responses I've seen so far to my original post, a few people suffer from pre-benzo insomnia. I believe a lot of what we experience, be it anxiety, depression, sciatic pain, nerve pain or insomnia is actually coming from an injury or malformation of our spines. Cerebrospinal fluid controls virtually every aspect of our bodies, and it's named that for a reason. I'm in no way dismissing the damage benzos do - they quite rightly exacerbate the problem a thousand-fold and are extremely toxic for the body. But before we decided to take a benzo, we had a problem in the first place. I firmly believe our spine is the reason we suffer from elevated anxiety, depression, sciatic pain, nerve pain, and even insomnia.

It's a funny thing - both my parents have spinal trouble and so do I, and we are worry-warts, yet my sister has no spinal trouble and she is as cool as a cucumber, and works a high-pressure job.
[...].  8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:54:09 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 02:00:00 am »
I was prescribed a benzo to counter anxiety symptoms brought on by anti-depressants, mood stabilizers and a stimulant.

I was on Lexapro, Trazodone, and Wellbutrin which caused me to be extremely tired and sluggish and I slept 12 hours a day, at least.
So then the doctor prescribed me Adderall to stimulate me to be less sluggish.
And then he put me on mood stabilizers because the drug cocktail was making me depressed.
And the combination of all the drugs gave me anxiety (no duh) and so then he prescribed me clonazepam.
And we all know what a benzo does.

I was so over-drugged that I didn't know what was going on and to much of a zombie to Google what the hell was going on.

Finally, my brain/body had enough and I knew I had I make changes! I started weaning off the AD's and mood stabilizers in 2014-2016 and then the benzo in 2017.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 05:09:02 pm »
Nausea.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 12:02:27 am »
I was prescribed a benzo to counter anxiety symptoms brought on by anti-depressants, mood stabilizers and a stimulant.

I was on Lexapro, Trazodone, and Wellbutrin which caused me to be extremely tired and sluggish and I slept 12 hours a day, at least.
So then the doctor prescribed me Adderall to stimulate me to be less sluggish.
And then he put me on mood stabilizers because the drug cocktail was making me depressed.
And the combination of all the drugs gave me anxiety (no duh) and so then he prescribed me clonazepam.
And we all know what a benzo does.

I was so over-drugged that I didn't know what was going on and to much of a zombie to Google what the hell was going on.

Finally, my brain/body had enough and I knew I had I make changes! I started weaning off the AD's and mood stabilizers in 2014-2016 and then the benzo in 2017.
Hi [...],
How are you feeling now?
[...].