Weighted Blankets on sale at Costco

[Ch...]

For those who have access to Costco, I was there yesterday and saw nice, high quality (IMO) weighted blankets for sleep and anxiety. They’re on sale for $59.99 (reg. 69.99) have a zippered removable/washable cover and weigh 15 pounds, which is about right for most adults.

I’ve made a number of weighted blankets in the past for autistic kids and adults with insomnia and/or anxiety. There’s no way I could make one this reasonably.  If you have the interest and the means I’d recommend giving one of these a try.

My wife bought me one for my birthday a few weeks ago. Sleep has definitely improved. I could have been in an insomnia wave right before, but I went from 5 hours a night back to my normal 7. Perhaps my son was sleeping through the night too, or work stress resolved- sorry, not much of a double-blind study, but I do feel more secure in it too.

[6c...]
I remember reading about those a lil while ago as something that could potentially help insomnia. My only concern is that they're filled with beads right? My dog sleeps with me and likes chewing things so I'm not sure if it'd be safe. If the materials thick enough...maybe. I would love to try one of those.

I remember reading about those a lil while ago as something that could potentially help insomnia. My only concern is that they're filled with beads right? My dog sleeps with me and likes chewing things so I'm not sure if it'd be safe. If the materials thick enough...maybe. I would love to try one of those.

I can’t speak to the WalMart blankets, but the Costco blankets are quite durable.  I unzipped the outside cover and pinched the inside blanket and am not sure what has been used for weight but unlikely a dog would chew it. Each corner has a tie inside that keeps the weighted insert in place. Heavy duty metal zipper, not a cheaply made blanket.

I like be my weighted blanket but this sounds like an excellent buy.  I bought mine from SensiDream in California and paid a lot more.  This sounds like the same blanket with the ties and a better zipper.  I wonder if it’s glass beads or plastic.  Maybe I’ll buy it anyways.

Thanks Challis!

• 2 weeks later...

I would try but am weak now, live in tiny place and it is hard to make my bed at all.  I have a comforter on bed, which is full size.  I don't have storage in this place, so have not tried one.  Yet sleep my number one problem and such conditioned habit dont know if it would help.

Are they hot?

I was at Sam's club today and on a whim I decided to see if they had any weighted blankets. Sure enough they had them. Picked up one that is 15lbs and comes with 2 covers, a fluffy microfiber warm one and a white cotton "cooling" cover.

It was less than $19 plus tax.

Used my new weighted blanket for the first time last night and I have to say, "WOW".

Too early to draw any real conclusions and if this is anything like other things that have shown big results the benefits will probably tail off soon, but I am really happy with the results from night #1.

First thing I noticed is that it made me very sleepy just having it on me for a couple of hours watching TV. My sleep quality is normally pretty erratic- sometimes I wake up feeling ok and other times I wake up feeling awful. I rarely have a problem falling asleep once I am in bed but I also don't usually have a hard time staying awake the last hour or so before going to bed. Last night I had a hard time keeping my eyes open though.

The next thing I noticed is that I slept soundly most of the night, and when I did have to get up to pee I didn't have the normal urgency to go and my urine stream was "powerful". I'm in my 40's so the urine stream slowing down some is to be expected, but it's kind of odd to me that sleeping with a weighted blanket would change that??? I dunno, maybe the way it acts on the CNS that makes perfect sense....

I ended up sleeping about 9.5 hours and woke up feeling a little sluggish at first but an hour later I felt great. My head feels much "clearer", like somehow the cobwebs and the muck got cleaned out. I also feel this buzzing energy that I don't normally have.

A couple of other notes-

1) This thing is definitely heavy, and it's only a 15 pounder. It feels like you are trying to drag dead weight around. Its kind of a PITA for me since I sleep in a hammock and that creates additional logistical challenges but I was ok once I got settled in.

2) Having the blanket on it makes my feel like my body is super heavy AND weightless, both at the same time. That's the only way I know how to describe it. It's not like I feel like I am floating, but it almost feels like my body disappears.

So far the experience is a 10/10. Hell, the $20 I spent was worth it for one great night's sleep! We will see how it works out in the long run though. These kinds of things have a habit of seeming like a miracle but there always seems to be a honeymoon phase and the returns end up tailing off :-\

I have used a 25lb weighted blanket for almost 1 year.  It has helped although my sleep has greatly improved over the past 2 years.  For those that wonder, a weighted blanket is supposed to work on a principle called DTP (Deep Touch Pressure) that supposedly causes your body to release more serotonin that in turn helps you get to sleep and stay asleep.  They are definitely worth a try.

Good info, ThEwAy.  I found this in my notes, no reference so I don’t know where I got this:

Recent studies have shown that deep pressure touch, the type of proprioceptive input generated

from a weighted blanket,  releases serotonin in the brain. This is a neurotransmitter that creates a

feeling of calm within our nervous system.

Depression, Anxiety, Aggression, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Post Traumatic Stress

Disorder (PTSD) and Bipolar Disorder all have a common link: low serotonin levels.

The deep pressure -- proprioceptive input --  generated from the Magic Blanket signals the brain

to release serotonin, which in turn naturally calms and relaxes the body, promoting sleep and

stress relief.  This effect has already had tremendous success helping to calm children and adults

with sensory integration disorder, autism, Rett Syndrome, Asperger's Syndrome,  ADHD, PTSD

and Restless Leg Syndrome.

Going on my 4th or 5th night sleeping with the weighted blanket. I have noticed that I am again starting to wake up feeling a little iffy, but within a few minutes of getting up I still feel more alert and energetic than I did before using the blanket. It is definitely helping with sleep and I still feel like it has given me a slight uptick in my cognitive function.