Endogenous ethanol in foods. Bread can have up to 1.4% alcohol in it

[Tr...]

There is trace but significant enough amounts of alcohol in bread (yeast-based), fruits- especially ripe or juices, soy sauce, vinegar, and other foods. Perhaps some of us who are very sensitive should avoid these foods until we heal. A burger roll can have up to 1.4%- that's like half of a standard cheap pilsner in the U.S. I know that when I drank even a gulp of beer I would feel paraesthesia on my face. Thoughts on any of this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5421578/

Considering the very small amount of alcohol you are likely to encounter in normal foods, I would guess that the health anxiety caused by worrying about something like this would probably be more damaging than a tiny amount of residual alcohol would be.

[f4...]

I agree with Florida. I think most of the issues we have with this drugs are greatly augmented because of the obsession and the attention we put into them. Most of the people on this drugs quit with minor problems, only a few of us have issues and that's why doctors can't believe it. We are monitoring ourselves all the time and blame most of the things to the drug. Even come to BB very often can be counterproductive. The psychological side effects this drugs put us on is actually the big battle to win.

Regards!   

. A burger roll can have up to 1.4%- that's like half of a standard cheap pilsner in the U.S.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5421578/

A burger roll does not have half the alcohol of a cheap beer. 12 fluid ounces of cheap "3.2" beer is (0.032 x 12) about 0.4 fluid ounces of alcohol. A burger roll weighs much less than 12 ounces.

In fact, my curiosity got the better of me. A quick google search shows that a burger roll weighs about 1.4 to 1.6 ounces. So 1.4% of that is (0.014 x 1.5) is about 0.02 ounces. That is 5% the amount of a cheap beer.

I hope my calculations help.

[cd...]

I agree with Florida. I think most of the issues we have with this drugs are greatly augmented because of the obsession and the attention we put into them.

Most of the people on this drugs quit with minor problems, only a few of us have issues and that's why doctors can't believe it.

We are monitoring ourselves all the time and blame most of the things to the drug. Even come to BB very often can be counterproductive.

The psychological side effects this drugs put us on is actually the big battle win.

Regards! 

agree  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the well-grounded replies everyone. I definitely agree that worrying about every little thing can be counter-productive to recovery. Some buddies have setbacks from mouthwash, vanilla extract, beer-battered foods, etc, so this caught my eye. People fail breathalyzers for foods too. I know in my case I get a burning scalp from just a few gulps of a beer. Even small amounts have the potential to affect GABA when someone is sensitive, and some of us are, especially those of us who are kindled or ex-alcoholics etc. The questions is how small is small? Trace endogenous alcohols probably won't do us harm though. As everyone has pointed out, worrying about this is just that--worrying.

HopeToDoThis- your reply and calculations were very helpful. I forgot (I'll use that excuse lol) to take into account the weight of the food product. This really put things into perspective.

Best,

Trust

Thanks for the well-grounded replies everyone. I definitely agree that worrying about every little thing can be counter-productive to recovery. Some buddies have setbacks from mouthwash, vanilla extract, beer-battered foods, etc, so this caught my eye.

People also have health anxiety that makes them prone to looking for triggers. Alcohol will always be the first target when people are looking for a reason for their latest wave but the reality is that this illness is cyclical by its very nature and there are so many other factors involved it's going to be really hard to pin these waves on anything specific.

That said, I don't do well with alcohol myself. There is a threshold for when it causes problems for me, I could probably drink half of a beer without much of an issue, but I have tried drinking a whole beer a few times along the way and most of the time it sends me into a wave for a few days.

I just think it is important not to get too paranoid. Waves are going to happen. I'm sure there are some things that can help them along but there is absolutely no way we can live "perfectly" in order to avoid them. Obsessing over minuscule amounts of alcohol isn't going to help anyone.

Thanks trust for sharing the info!

I’m glad to hear every responded are not over sensitized to the tiny amount of alcohol in food. U fortunately it happened to me and I know it’s not anxiety or anything else mental as mental sx are the only one that I don’t have. It was 3 months off from just half shrimp cooked with rice wine. I immediately reacted with severe and dangerous sx followed by the most severe setback now almost 2 months still not recovered.

I’m the most extreme case though, reacted to almost everything I ate since jumping.

As a matter of fact, I just reacted to Chinese vinegar yesterday, another dangerous reaction.

Trust, do you know why vinegar contains alcohol?

4mom

[cd...]

I’m glad to hear every responded are not over sensitized to the tiny amount of alcohol in food. U fortunately it happened to me and I know it’s not anxiety or anything else mental as mental sx are the only one that I don’t have. It was 3 months off from just half shrimp cooked with rice wine. I immediately reacted with severe and dangerous sx followed by the most severe setback now almost 2 months still not recovered.

I’m the most extreme case though, reacted to almost everything I ate since jumping.

As a matter of fact, I just reacted to Chinese vinegar yesterday, another dangerous reaction.

4mom

maybe it is a histamine reaction

since it happens with so many foods or things you ate causing a reaction for you.

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/what-are-histamines#1 

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/alcohol-allergy#1

4mom

4Mom, vinegar had an average of 1% alcohol I believe according to the study. Don’t quote me though. I hope you feel better...it could also be histamines as Sky pointed out.

Florida Guy- I agree, this is very cyclical. Obsessing over every little reason for a wave is an issue. Some people don’t get waves though, they just keep getting worse the further they are. It’s not non-linear healing it’s linear degeneration. Alsochol diredtly impacts GABA and many people have setbacks.like I said, a few gulps of beer and my face and scalp burn- that’s not normal. That’s sensitive. It’s a minuscule amount but some of us were taking minuscule amounts of benzos at the ends of our taper.

Again, not arguing I definitely see your point.