Jumped off. Need advice.

[Co...]

In June, after a series of ER trips for heart palpitations (anxiety), I was prescribed clonazepam (Klonopin). I took 0.5 mg daily for ~3 weeks, before finding out that as little as two weeks can cause physical dependence. I asked my doctor to switch me to a diazepam taper as per the Ashton method. I started in June on 15mg of diazepam and tapered down slowly from there.

Yesterday, I jumped after being on 0.5mg for a week. Prior, I was on 1mg per week, 2mg for 2 weeks, 3 mg for 3 weeks (I swear there's no pattern here).

What are the chances that I am going to experience a seizure at this point? I am terrified, because I drive for a living and I don't want to lose consciousness behind the wheel.

Please be honest. I am terrified, but I need honesty.

Extremely unlikely, almost 0% chance, how were you feeling on your taper? Congrats on the jump :)

Thank you!

This whole taper was a mess from the beginning. When I was on 15mg, I crashed my car. So I've been anxious being on valium at all because I would feel drowsy after taking them up until 4mg... then I stopped feeling any effect at all.

Not many noticeable withdrawal symptoms right up until 1mg. At that point I started experiencing a lot a dissociation/derealization, anxiety, weird bodily sensations. They'd go away (mostly) after a few days.

Today (well I guess it's 4 am here, so yesterday) was my first day completely off them. It was fine. I went to the gym, went to the mall without dealing with a whole host of symptoms related to being in public. No derealization or dissociation all day... until about 9:15 pm, when I was hosting my radio show. Had a brief episode of derealization which eventually went away on it's own, but it was frightening and I thought that I was going to pass out.

Extremely unlikely, almost 0% chance, how were you feeling on your taper? Congrats on the jump :)

Thank you!

This whole taper was a mess from the beginning. When I was on 15mg, I crashed my car. So I've been anxious being on valium at all because I would feel drowsy after taking them up until 4mg... then I stopped feeling any effect at all.

Not many noticeable withdrawal symptoms right up until 1mg. At that point I started experiencing a lot a dissociation/derealization, anxiety, weird bodily sensations. They'd go away (mostly) after a few days.

Today (well I guess it's 4 am here, so yesterday) was my first day completely off them. It was fine. I went to the gym, went to the mall without dealing with a whole host of symptoms related to being in public. No derealization or dissociation all day... until about 9:15 pm, when I was hosting my radio show. Had a brief episode of derealization which eventually went away on it's own, but it was frightening and I thought that I was going to pass out.

Oh wow yeah 15mg would definitely make you drowsy behind the wheel! Exercise definitely helps the healing process. Glad you are coping with any symptoms that pop up!

Stay away from alcohol. Will cause nothing but trouble.

Again, big congrats :), be gentle with yourself and don't stress if you have a small bump or two in the road.

Congrats on the jump. The seizure threat is pretty much non-existent from the jump, especially since you report no similar issues with the taper. Some symptoms may persist intermittently as the remaining drug is metabolized, and your body takes over as healing continues. You can support the process.

Taurine is a pseudo-amino acid that has natural anti-seizure properties.  If concerned, you could take some.

It also helps at GABA receptors to calm NS. Caution- it does drop blood sugar, so it must be taken with food. It has many benefits including healing blood vessels in the eyes. https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2013/6/The-Forgotten-Longevity-Benefits-of-Taurine/

Anxiety-  Either buffered vitamin C or liposomal vitamin C greatly reduce anxiety as does B3(niacin). If I take a 1000mg lipo C, doesn't always do it, but can make me want to take a nap. (Remember dosing per weight matters- I'm under 120lbs, so same dose may just relax you.)  I can take 250mg of regular niacin with only mild flushing. If I need a higher dose (more symptoms), I use 1000mg of the non-flushing niacin at a time. Have done 6000mg in a day. Try each of them individually at home and see how you respond. Have a friend who uses Relora, a natural blend for anxiety breakthroughs.

Merry Christmas.  Enjoy your 2020 Benzo free.