Antibiotic question

[dd...]

What antibiotics are safe to take on benzo? I know certain ones can cause horrible problems....seeing Dr Thursday....think I may have ear or sinus infection...

[4d...]
Penicillins are gaba receptor antagonists so downregulate the receptors like a benzo, however Keflex has the weakest effect on the receptors. Clindamycin is also reported as having little effect on a compromised cns. Somewhere on this forum are all the links to the research that backs up my statements, I'm too sick to find them atm but they're there. Lots of info on the BAD site as well.

I’d let the doctor decide what AB is appropriate if you have an infection. You may not, though, you may have some benzo-related aural discomfort. If he does find an infection you will want to avoid any AB in the quinolone class.

My comments on this are prescriptive, I know, but there are potentially very serious issues with quinolone ABs when you’re on benzodiazepines: https://www.benzoinfo.com/2017/10/12/hidden-dangers-of-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-in-the-benzodiazepine-dependent-population/

What antibiotics are safe to take on benzo? I know certain ones can cause horrible problems....seeing Dr Thursday....think I may have ear or sinus infection...

Howdy---happened to stumble upon your inquiry.

I have fought ear and sinus issues for several years. Including plugged up ears and that irritating post nasal drip-drip-drip.

Third trip to the HMO's (health profiteers) quick care clinic was a winner. After all the ear drops and virus type of antibiotics.

A five day regime of amoxicillin did the trick.

No side effects or issues at all.

What a relief even after just a few days of the 5 day treatment tablets.

Ask doctor if you have a potential bacterial infection as opposed to a real virus infection.

Hope you get relief and let us know.

I know how you feel. I really do!

Cheers

I had lots of 'ear' problems.  Plugged up.  Gunky.  Pain.  Popping.  Tinnitus (still).  Was prescribed antibiotic ear drops which did nothing.  I can't remember the name of the AB, but it wasn't a quino.

One night, well after using the drops lay my head upon my pillow and my ear expelled a clear liquid.  It just ran from my ear.  From that day on things began to improve.  Only the tinnitus remained. 

I don't know whether I had blocked eustation tubes or not.  Only know that most of the ear stuff resolved without help from antibiotics. 

This is not to say that you don't need antibiotics, just my personal experience. 

Dee