Prozac for worsening OCD

[1b...]

[1b...]

Hi there,

I have been benzo free for close to 4 months now and completely clean off everything else for just over 2 months. My PAWS sxs are mainly OCD and nerve pains/ sensations. My nerve pain/ sensations seem to be improving but my OCD is getting worse. The OCD has latched onto my fear of making my PAWS worse and now every potential contamination becomes linked to the dreaded kindling even though I know it's irrational. My quality of life is pretty bad as I'm living with a lot of fear.

My psychiatrist is good and recognizes  benzo withdrawal, he is the one who diagnosed me with PAWS. He's generally conservative with prescribing medication, but he's seen my OCD worsen over the past few months and is recommending a short course of prozac (20mg for 3 months). I have started CBT but its a slow process, and with the rate that my OCD is worsening, I don't know if it's enough on its own. I have had OCD as a child so it's not a new thing, but it resurfaced with my withdrawal. I have also been on an SNRI before called venlafaxine so I am confident that I won't have a bad reaction.

My question is have any of you had your PAWS recovery damaged or stunted by use of SSRIs, specifically prozac? I know that I could manage this PAWS without prozac if my OCD wasn't getting worse, as the nerve pain/ sensations are much more tolerable now. I know the Dr. Ashton doesn't seem to have a problem with them if the person is becoming suicidely depressed, and I have been getting suicidal ideation and thoughts of self harm.

Hello luket28,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so acutely, but I think you've answered your own question, if you're dealing with suicidal thoughts, it would make sense to get on the Prozac.  As you mentioned, Dr Ashton has said that she's seen patients do well on SSRI's and while I'm not aware if it would help with your OCD issues, your thoughts of self harm are serious and must be addressed. 

Please take care of yourself, I'm glad you have a psychiatrist who is supportive, please get in to see him as soon as possible.  :therethere:

I want to take the opportunity to remind you of our policy on self harm.

Although we deeply sympathize with those experiencing suicidal feelings or ideation, to protect the sensitivities of the greater majority of our members - and most importantly, for your own safety - discussions and commentary regarding suicide, suicide ideation, self-harm, or threats of self-harm are not allowed at this forum. If you experience such feelings or thoughts, you must contact your doctor or other suitable healthcare practitioner. You will find more information on our Suicide, Self-Harm & Threatening Behaviour webpage.

Pamster

[1b...]

Hello luket28,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so acutely, but I think you've answered your own question, if you're dealing with suicidal thoughts, it would make sense to get on the Prozac.  As you mentioned, Dr Ashton has said that she's seen patients do well on SSRI's and while I'm not aware if it would help with your OCD issues, your thoughts of self harm are serious and must be addressed. 

Please take care of yourself, I'm glad you have a psychiatrist who is supportive, please get in to see him as soon as possible.  :therethere:

I want to take the opportunity to remind you of our policy on self harm.

Although we deeply sympathize with those experiencing suicidal feelings or ideation, to protect the sensitivities of the greater majority of our members - and most importantly, for your own safety - discussions and commentary regarding suicide, suicide ideation, self-harm, or threats of self-harm are not allowed at this forum. If you experience such feelings or thoughts, you must contact your doctor or other suitable healthcare practitioner. You will find more information on our Suicide, Self-Harm & Threatening Behaviour webpage.

Pamster

Thanks for the response Pamster, sorry I didn't know about that policy. Thank you for letting me know I'll be sure to avoid discussing it in future

No worries luket, I understand what you're feeling, Ambien made me feel the same way, but fortunately once I stopped taking it, those thoughts went away.  I did take Prozac many years ago after the loss of two of my family members and found it very helpful, I hope you can find some relief.