High Precision Scale recommendation

[Su...]

My Gem 20 scales are not working. I’ve replaced several and the weights are running off by more than 5%. Anyone else with issues?

Looking for a high grade precision scale, even if it is pricier.

Best,

Sun🌻

[a2...]

Most people have good success with those little Gems.  We actually use one at the testing lab and it's generally no worse than +/- 3mg.  I'm sorry that hasn't been your experience.  5% error might not be all that large depending on the weight involved.  Most pharmaceuticals are only made to 5 or 10% tolerance, so if you're only introducing 5% error with your current scale, you're no worse than the professionals.

However, if you want higher precision, it's certainly available.  There are many decent milligram balances in the $200-$400 range on eBay and Amazon.

Thanks. I’ve had several stop working with measurements of a .5mg scale weighing anywhere from .169-.180. And then the weight itself (which is supposed to weigh 10) weighing 10.5-8.5.  Some scales I get readings of USd all of a sudden. I’ve gone through 4 scales in past 4 months and it’s causing up and down dosing.

I’ve been weighing with these for several years,with no problems. Wondering if there is something happening that could be damaging them?

🌻

I’m having trouble with mine. I think I have the amount- which is small, about .018- weighed, then I reweigh it and it’s.022 or .012. Today I weighed a bunch of the whole pills, which in the past has been very close to .170, and found variations between.162-.185.

I realize that there are small variations between individual pill weights, but now I can’t tell if it’s the pills or the scale.

Just replaced the batteries and my husband recalibrated it following a YouTube video. 

I ended up weighing what I thought was the right amount, after fiddling with this for 40 minutes, then adding 2 tablets that were each about .169.  Weighed the whole pile together and am thinking maybe I should be doing that from now on.