Any Short-term, CT, No taper/No Reinstated Folks out there?

[Da...]

Buddies,

I know this is super specific. But I am looking to connect with short-termers (days, several weeks or under 3-4 months) who either cold turkeyed accidentally, without any knowledge, forced, no other choice, etc. and DID NOT taper or reinstate. Wherever you are in your process and PROGRESS  :) I’d like to know and for all of us to give support and encouragement.

I am also REALLY looking to hear from recovered Short term Buddies for encouragement, motivation and positivity! I’m not sure how visible short termers that have C/T with no taper or reinstatement are. Even if there are only 5 of us, we need the support.

Much respect to us all short term, longer term, tapering, protected buddies! We are stronger everyday!

I was very short term, only about 3 weeks, (but I was also at a very low weight and basically anorexic at that time so I think that made me more susceptible)then when I ran out of pills I started getting all these new symptoms. I had a feeling it had something to do with withdrawal but decided to stick it out, assuming it was like any other drug withdrawal that would be over in a short time. Boy was I wrong. If I had known anything about this stuff back then I would have got back on and tapered. BUT INSTEAD I did everything your not suppose to do and it made me ten times worse. So angry and defeated that I’m suffering like someone who was on for years. Would deff like to hear from more short term users.

After a health scare I had some trouble sleeping and was given  low dose Ativan at bedtime for about ten weeks and decided to stop, not really understanding c/t or withdrawal.  Three days later had a major panic attack and many other horrible symptoms.  Now three months off and only slightly better. This is an unbelievable hell.  I had no idea because I was always so careful with medicine, only taking something if I really needed it like Tylenol.  People say that you heal but right now it is hard to believe..

Don’t want to do anything or go anywhere and feeling so sad and I have always been upbeat.  Would love some encouragement.

Hi AU and Sunset,

That’s exactly why I made this post. For ENCOURAGEMENT. I feel your struggle. I’m headed for 4 months off next week from only about 1 month of prescribed use. Yes, today has been extremely challenging both physically and mentally for me. But I have hope that fellow short termers can identify and receive some form of encouragement from one another. I also hope a short-termer who has HEALED can stop by and give a positive message for us all. I am a realist. I know we are all going through it! But I also have discovered I have a desire to be an optimistic (though challenging) through this process. I cling to success stories. I just wish there were more short term success stories. Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, I completely understand and from the most sincerest place, I hope you both (as best as you can) have a good rest of your day.

I'll be 4 months off from a cold turkey on Tuesday. Only used the meds for 4 weeks and cold turkeyd. Knew nothing about the meds or about tapering or withdrawal. At 4 months off I am functioning but at about 75 percent. Still have some major bothersome symptoms but pushing through.

I can join this thread!  I am about 11 months off.  Functional and back to work and living my life thank God!  But I still experience some symptoms,  which I mostly attribute to my current SSRI taper.  I would say that the three month mark was a big turning point for me. 

Hi 76, I believe we are just about on the same time line (you are a week ahead of me, I’ll be at 4 next Monday)  and I think we may have responded to each other a few times. Our symptoms are very similar. Especially head pressure. I know everyone’s healing is different. But it’s nice to connect with other short termers who CT without even knowing. That’s exactly what happened with me...But It’s good to hear you are at 75%. I know everyone has told you that. But it really is. Keep pushing through. Honestly, I’m looking to all of you who are ahead of me for hope. The more I read about progress even if it is 75%, the better it makes me feel. I’m sure it makes other feel great too!

Hi Restoration, LOVE THAT NAME! That’s exactly what I am looking to be. RESTORED. Thank you for joining. Functional and back to work is awesome. I’m hoping the 3 month turning point was a good turning point? I’m about to hit 4 months. I’m still waiting for a DISTINCT turning point, specifically with head pressure and nerve pain in my head. But as of right now, I can say that the muscle spasms in my legs have really decrease. I can’t wait to see where I am in 11 months. I hope I can say my most challenging symptoms are gone. I hope your SSRI taper continues to go well.

I was very short term, only about 3 weeks, (but I was also at a very low weight and basically anorexic at that time so I think that made me more susceptible)then when I ran out of pills I started getting all these new symptoms. I had a feeling it had something to do with withdrawal but decided to stick it out, assuming it was like any other drug withdrawal that would be over in a short time. Boy was I wrong. If I had known anything about this stuff back then I would have got back on and tapered. BUT INSTEAD I did everything your not suppose to do and it made me ten times worse. So angry and defeated that I’m suffering like someone who was on for years. Would deff like to hear from more short term users.

i know very similar here.. thought i would have to stick it out for a bit longer and will go away. little did i know. 3 months later, still crippled. but getting better

I won't go into the details of my usage, it's in my signature but I used it about 30 times over a four month period in 2017, and went through absolute hell for over year after I quit two years ago.  The benzo-damaged brain definitely repairs itself, although you'd never know it when you're in the throes of post-withdrawal syndrome.  I am much, much better now, I hardly ever even think about it, anymore  Hang in there, you'll be back to your old self, maybe better, but it takes time. 

Hi DanniB00,

I’m also a short term sporadic klonopin user who CTed upon advice of the doc. I’m about 7 weeks out. Doing much better than in the first two weeks. In fact I was improving so much in the last few weeks that I thought I was getting close to being done with WD! But now I got my first wave of symptoms similar to acute but not as intense and I’m trying not to freak out about it and also keep searching for positive support and reassurance! Because my use was so odd and sporadic(average of 0.25mg of klonopin every 2-3 days “as needed” for about 1.5 months) I sometimes even doubt that it’s withdrawal. But at this point I’m trying to focus on the fact that I had a GOOD window and that the bad is just a period before another good comes and hopefully the period between good windows will get shorter and shorter! , which hopefully means that it’s a progress towards recovery!

I’m curious what are your WD symptoms?

Hi H4A,

Keep focusing on that good window you had. I like your hopeful outlook. It’s much needed here. I actually keep video diaries. When I have a window, I record a positive message for myself to play later to remind myself that windows happen, relief happens and I’m one step closer to being healed. I’ve only had a few windows over the past almost 4 months. But they definitely were a relief!

Current symptoms ranked from most present/most challenging to deal with: 1. head pressure/nerve pain in head, 2. brain fog, 3. Some dr/dp, 4. insomnia (used to be #1, but I’ve accepted it and I have a nightly napping system that works for me), 5. Waves 6. morning nausea (eases by noon-ish), 7. continued weight loss because of challenges with food, 8. leg/calf spasms, 9. some random tingling sensations in my upper arms. 10. Hair loss (from stress and needing more nutrients). BUT...let me say this for reassurance. I HAD way more symptoms that are gone. And some of the current symptoms (6, 8, 9) lessen (though very slowly) week by week. The only ones that are constant are all the head symptoms (1-3) and insomnia. Waves are unpredictable and usually occurs when my head symptoms are flaring up. Hair loss as a woman can impact self-esteem and it did for me. But hair grows back. Plus if I have to cut it, I think I have a good enough head shape for a short cut, lol.

I know reading this may seem like “Oh no this is going to happen to me” or it may seem scary, concerning, etc. Keeping it real, this is a straight up challenging process! But these are my symptoms. You may not experience any of these. I’ve learned not to personalize, but generalize other people’s symptoms. As in, it’s possible it could happen or it may not. If it does, the duration and intensity for me may be different than someone else...So, let’s be determined to GET THROUGH THIS!…I still get up everyday, I go to work when I can (thankfully I make my own schedule), I walk at least 30 mins a day (even if it’s walking around the grocery store, that still counts), I listen to music, I find a show that doesn’t overload my senses, I have a good support system, I pray everyday, watch YouTube, HGTV, read POSITIVE postings on BB, I try to find new things to do to distract myself. Hopefully, you have a few good staple activities to help in your journey to make recovery a little easier!

You got this! Keep pressing through.

hi, as you see from my sign, my story is a little complicated.i am just trying to stabilize on my only drug remeron after 7 month ct. i have always had anxiety after quit, but the last one month it has been a challange for me.

Hi Juneight,

My history isn’t as long or complex yours, but it does show how you have definitely endured and continue to keep going everyday. That right there is determination! You have that goal to stabilize and we are right there with you! It takes a lot of mental and physical strength everyday. And today is a new day. Closer to healing. Thank you for sharing how you’re doing. I hope today is a better day for you.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi C/T short-termers!

How is everyone? Any positive or uplifting progress news?

Hello Dani

I'm very short term user (just two weeks) and right now into 15 months of wd. My only issue is left sided head pressure which has decrease significantly in last two weeks. Hope everyone in short term club seeing some kind of improvement.

Thanks

Hi Dani!

I hope you've been doing well! Yeah, I've got an update for you! Since last time I posted here, I had a few more windows that felt so reassuring that I felt like I was completely fine! One of them lasted for 7-10 days! Which followed by a stretch of symptoms(but not as bad) and then another window. Now I'm on a stretch of crappy and new symptoms again (heartburn, heart palpitations, occasional air hunger and vertigo which is new, and occasional muscle tension and twitches, which is NOTHING compared to what I used to have in my first 6 weeks.) So even though, the symptoms sometimes still give me anxiety(especially new ones), but they're not as bad as they used to be! I also connected with a friend who is a neurologist and he was reassuring to say that a lot of people can be dealing with WD symptoms for about 6 months (on average) and that muscle tension should be the first one to ease off(which it did in my case) and then all the internal controls will level off later (heart, digestion etc). So I hope that that's the pattern I will follow...

Give us an update on how you're doing and your progress! I'm curious to hear as well!

Hi Kiwi! I completely identify with the head pressure. I would say that it is my #1 most challenging symptom. Thankfully over the post few weeks it has waned. And on occasion, like yesterday, I dont feel it at all. I’m actually encouraged by you saying your pressure has decreased significantly over the past 2 weeks. I look forward to both of us not experiencing ANY head pressure! And you’ve also been pressing on daily for a long time. You’ve got strength! Definitely encouragement for the short term club!

Hi Von! I hear you. This is a challenging road. But one of the most powerful things you just wrote was that you will face it as best you can for your family’s sake. That right there is a different kind of determination. Having your family as motivation...That is a good way to press, to be one step closer to healing.

Hi Health4All! Thank you for the update and the reassurance. I’ve just hit 5 months free of a very short term use. Most of the really bad symptoms are gone. I have about 4 or 5 lingering, which at this point appear to be typical (based on what some people post and other convos with buddies who are further along in recovery or have completely recovered). Updates: Insomnia - I’m now getting about 5hrs of sleep; Nerve Pain - Still centrally located on my scalp, still there. Still annoying. Still painful at times.  but not as prominent and sometimes not present at all. Digestion & Weight Challenges - I’ve found a good combo or carbs and healthy foods. Also, I can eat sweets AND CHOCOLATE! but in moderation. I’m not a coffee drinker and I don’t really drink sodas, so caffeine is not an issue. (However, I will not be taking Excedrin again. While it did help with a headache, the caffeine had my heart racing. And I took it right before bed so I didn’t really sleep). Hair loss - Still happening. But it will grow back and thankfully I love being creative with styles. People can’t really tell which is great. I’m still contemplating cutting it short....I kinda feel like you too where a lot of my symptoms have waned but some really weird new ones have come (Bladder Spasms, who even knew that was a thing *shrug*).  Waves/DR/DP - Thankful the waves are few and far between. The Dr/Dp I “think” is gone. But I do sometimes experience dizziness or a sort of spin feeling. But that’s not often. Leg spasms - Pretty much gone. I only feel the cortisol rushes in the morning. It’s not painful, it’s just annoying. But I’m waaaaay better than the 1st 6 weeks - 3 months of this fiasco. Also, I think we all have become unofficial experts on what is happening to our bodies and our brains and we want to be as knowledgeable as possible to understand all creditable, helpful, ENCOURAGING information. So when I read that you have a neurologist friend, I immediately perked up. I’m waiting for the “leveling out” COMPLETELY.

Thanks for the updates Short Term Club! Let’s keep each other informed and encouraged!

• 2 weeks later...
I knew nothing about the dangers of benzos, was prescribed clonazepam for anxiety and panic disorder by a doctor I've trusted for 10 years. My trust was my downfall this time around, as she clearly knew nothing about the dangers either. I'm 5 weeks off, physical and psychological symptoms vary from day to day. The most distressing and terrifying has been arrythmic breathing and erratic heart rate. It my vitals would stabilize, I would feel much more capable of enduring this nightmare process. But the fear that I will randomly stop breathing consumes me. Seems like many experience tight chest and hyperventilation, which I sometimes have, but few seem to mention too slow breathing and having consciously to remind oneself to breathe. I seriously think my brain isn't always communicating with my lungs.

My breathing is broken too. Sometimes I feel out of breath for hours. And sometimes I’m not out of breath, and then SUDDENLY i am, like everything stops working! I hate it most when it wakes me up, it’s so scary.

[a1...]

I play this in headphones at night, I find it helps drown out everything.  Try a relaxation meditation on you tube.  Stretch before bed, turn off lights tv, phone...