Anyone Had Success/Improvements from Using Apps for Anxiety?

[f7...]

[f7...]

I posted this on the insomnia board too but feel like it's just as relevant here.

So I've been having sleep issues which have increased my overall anxiety levels for a while. They got progressively worse over the month of November because of some physical health problems. The lack of sleep just heightens any problems  - so I think sleeping well is essential to our healing. I also get easily anxious, and the worst - have become at least moderately agoraphobic since my first cut years ago.

I was just wondering if any of you use apps to help you sleep and calm you down? I know apparently CBT is highly recommended for insomnia/panic attacks but I don't have it in me energy wise and financially to commit to going at the moment. In the meantime I've been using an app called Calm - it's one of the top search results for meditation apps - and find that it really helps me in general. It's only been a month or so since I've installed it but can really see it making a difference in the long run since it can be used daily, has so many programs that address different issues, and sometimes feels like mini therapy sessions.

What I like about using apps as opposed to just watching youtube videos or whatever, is that the experience is more customizable and you can actually tack progress. So, for me at least, it's like a program I find myself sticking with.

So yeah if anyone has had success using apps feel free to share your experiences and/or recommendations. Everyone's got a smart phone I feel like these might have the potential to help a lot of people since they're convenient, cost effective and sometimes free.

Peace.

No apps. At night I turn on a YouTube video by Thomas hall, anxiety and depression relief sleep hypnosis. It's an eight hour video. You don't watch it, just go to bed and keep it playing. It helps me.

I used a couple of meditation CDs and three really good self-hypnosis CDs. One for anxiety, and two for insomnia. The meditation CD was by Pema Chodron and is called How To Meditate.

The others are Deep Sleep With Medical Hypnosis by Dr. Steven Gurgevich, Relieve Anxiety, by the same man and A Meditation For Healthful Sleep by Bellaruth Naparstek. All available at Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Meditation has been a huge help for me in withdrawal.  Before going into stressful situations ( I have massive social anxiety) I do a guided meditation and it takes the edge off for a little bit. 

I use a french app which provides guided-meditations (Petit Bambou).

Since my anxiety is also directed towards not feeling well in the future, I tracked my mood 3 times per day since august on Moodpath. When I felt bad, I used it to have concrete proof that I could feel fine somedays, and to stop panicking about feeling down.

I stopped recently to use it since my brain seems to understand now that low mood comes and goes, I just mind my own business reading books or whatever until it passes. This is exactly what CBT wants to teach you.

• 3 weeks later...
[f7...]

Happy belated New Years!

Just wanted to thank all of you for your contributions to this thread :smitten:

I appreciate all your replies and am grateful that we managed to gather a nice variety of resources as well as share experiences that could help both each-other, and others who might stumble upon this thread. 

Anything that can potentially help others struggling through this journey is incredibly valuable in my book.  So thank you all again :thumbsup:

Here's to a calmer, positive and very cool 2020 <3

Aware app is a good app for guided meditation. It has a variety of choices for stress, anxiety, sleep etc. I always feel better and more relaxed after a 20 min session. You reap more benefits from daily usage.

[f7...]
Thanks Pamster! And thanks to everyone for sharing what works for them. And yes @Fp1984 I completely agree that daily usage/practice is key.  :thumbsup:

I swear by Apps. Calm tops my list. I also love Relax Melodies, especially the meditations. I love Candle Pro to meditate to. Also Daily Yoga. Sleepa. And finally CBT-ICoach

My personal choices. No medical advice.

Lots of great recommendations here.

I really love Headspace - a guided meditation app.  I love the voice of the narrator and founder, Andy Puddicombe who guides you through the meditations.  I've been using it for 4 years and still progressing slowly in practicing mindfulness.

I'm wondering if anyone uses and recommends an app to track moods?

Brighterday

I'm wondering if anyone uses and recommends an app to track moods?

Daylio is a great app for tracking your mood. I used it daily for over a year during my taper. It allows you to check your daily and monthly progress. You can also add comments each day. I really recommend it. Its so helpful to look back month by month to see how much progress you have made. I also used it as a means to track my taper. I would record how much I was taking each day, when I was holding, etc. Each day it sends you a reminder and you simply go into the app and check a smiley face, frowning face, angry face, etc then you can add comments and select other options as well. Very simple but so effective and helpful. Give it a try.

Take care,

Fp

Daylio is a great app for tracking your mood. I used it daily for over a year during my taper. It allows you to check your daily and monthly progress. You can also add comments each day. I really recommend it. Its so helpful to look back month by month to see how much progress you have made. I also used it as a means to track my taper. I would record how much I was taking each day, when I was holding, etc. Each day it sends you a reminder and you simply go into the app and check a smiley face, frowning face, angry face, etc then you can add comments and select other options as well. Very simple but so effective and helpful. Give it a try.

Take care,

Fp

Thanks Fp - Do you use the free app or did you pay for premium?