So much better after detoxing with NAD+

[Sh...]

I recently read a couple of success stories on here from people that got clean from meds by using an expensive treatment called NAD+ in the form of IV infusions. One person had healed after 3 months and the other 6. I ummed and ahhhd for a while and then decided to give it a go here in Australia. I flew to Sydney and began the treatment. A bit of back story....

I first realised I was hooked on 10mg valium in late 2015. I did a 9 month taper and it was absolutely horrible. Depths of hell. I went too quickly and managed to stay off for 18 months but wasn't getting much better due to always taking stuff to ease the symptoms. Stuff like pain killers (codeine, oxy) that would make me feel so much better at the time, but then send me to hell the next day. I then saw a doctor who put me on lyrica to help my symptoms (similar to gabapentin) and that began a 2 year addiction. I did feel better taking that, but it started a horrible journey to being stuck on that med and a whole new list of sxs. I eventually ended up back on 5mg Valium early this year to see if it would take away all my sxs...it didn't. It's true what they say. DO NOT REINSTATE. So now I was kindled. I did a fast taper off the valium and lyrica together but couldn't last. It was pure torture. The most unbearable symptom was burning feet and insomnia. My feet would burn so much that it felt like I had frost bite all over them and I was putting them in a hot bath every 30mins. So i reinstated both and thought I was screwed for life.

I was completely terrified doing the NAD+ detox but somehow it actually WORKED. I had barely any anxiety and ZERO burning. ZERO! I was so skeptical but it worked amazing for that. I had brutal insomnia but that was to be expected. It was hard but I didn't even care. I knew there was no way around the sleep issue as the brain has to learn to relax on its own after using stuff for years. About a week later though I began sleeping and my symptoms began to get better rapidly. I was getting out of body experiences (DP/DR?) when drinking coffee and eating junk food, but after 2 weeks that was gone.

I am 1 months clean off all meds and feeling better than I have since I started my taper back in 2015. I am NOT HEALED. This stuff is not a miracle that heals you in a day...but if I am to go on and heal in 3 or 6 months like the other ppl I read on here then I would consider that a miracle after CT and being kindled. I am sleeping 8 hours a night now as long as I sleep in...it's just hard falling asleep. I still feel dodgy after eating certain foods but it is so much better already and seems to be improving so fast.

I did 8 days of treatment which cost $1100 per day, and just did another 4 days because I made friends with a nurse there who got it for me super cheap and at the price the clinic gets it for. He did it on the sly for me :) This stuff is super expensive. I found out that 1000mg costs them 400 to buy, and they charge 1100 per day...so they make a huge profit. But it's even more expensive in USA for some reason. You have to go into the clinic and sit there for as long as it takes the NAD to drip into your system. It took about 5 hours at first because the stuff gives you some uncomftable side effects when it goes in...like feeling sick, flushed, and heavy legs. But as soon as you stop the drip those go away. I didn't really feel any benefit from the NAD until about 5 days in. When I CT the valium I began to feel it coming on terrible but then the NAD took over.

I am not here to sell anything, just trying to provide on option to people who can't seem to get free. I don't know if it will work for everyone...but even if this helps 2 or 3 ppl that's a win. Some of you will remember me but I don't post much anymore. If you don't believe I'm legit you can go back and look at my posts from years ago and see how screwed I've been for a long time.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [...]

• [ra...]

• [Ba...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[c3...]
I had no idea we had such a place here in oz, things are looking up. Glad it helped you, i wish you continued success in your healing journey.

I had no idea we had such a place here in oz, things are looking up. Glad it helped you, i wish you continued success in your healing journey.

It's not a well known treatment at all. It's hard to find any good info about it anywhere. I listened to a great podcast on it which swayed me to try.

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/anti-aging-podcasts/what-is-nad/

Amazing outcome Shamo! Super glad this helped you.

I would however question the costs provided by these clinics. I think there's some advantage being taken due to the lack of knowledge and the very small number of places in North America where you can get this done.

I have a good doctor (MD) who is also an ND here in Ontario, Canada. He charged $150 for each NAD+ infusion; it is compounded at a local pharmacy. It was definitely legit and I could "feel" the infusions... as they were not pleasant and made my stomach feel not so great. The challenge for me was that he doesn't have a lot of expertise with NAD+ (he was simply willing to try it) and so he didn't see the value in doing this daily. So, I was only able to do this once a week. But I did do about 6 of them before I threw in the towel. I was also already off of Benzos for 2.5 years at the time.

I think the major benefit comes when you are tapering and / or have just finished. Somehow helping your nervous system survive the onslaught. But that's simply my own opinion as I didn't see much benefit from my sessions. 

I would just advise people that if they are looking into this that they check a few different sources for costs...that being said, I think there's only 2-3 reputable clinics in the US from the research I did awhile ago.

I do believe that if you are going to pursue this, that you need to have infusions daily.

Good luck everyone!

Yes that's the question I also had schamo, thank you very much for sharing your experience; I was wondering if that's something that can be done and if you can benefit from that after you've been off of medication for a while or is it only of  benefit when youre jumping? because I recently read the thread where several people posted about their great experiences with NAD+ when jumping. I don't have much money at all right now but i would willingly go into debt if there was anything at all at this point that could relieve my symptoms.Colley did you say that you didn't benefit from it at all after being off for 2.5 years, I've now been off of clonazepam for 19 months,  just wondering if I could find relief from that.

I would however question the costs provided by these clinics. I think there's some advantage being taken due to the lack of knowledge and the very small number of places in North America where you can get this done.

I have a good doctor (MD) who is also an ND here in Ontario, Canada. He charged $150 for each NAD+ infusion; it is compounded at a local pharmacy. It was definitely legit and I could "feel" the infusions... as they were not pleasant and made my stomach feel not so great. The challenge for me was that he doesn't have a lot of expertise with NAD+ (he was simply willing to try it) and so he didn't see the value in doing this daily. So, I was only able to do this once a week. But I did do about 6 of them before I threw in the towel. I was also already off of Benzos for 2.5 years at the time.

I think the major benefit comes when you are tapering and / or have just finished. Somehow helping your nervous system survive the onslaught. But that's simply my own opinion as I didn't see much benefit from my sessions. 

I would just advise people that if they are looking into this that they check a few different sources for costs...that being said, I think there's only 2-3 reputable clinics in the US from the research I did awhile ago.

I do believe that if you are going to pursue this, that you need to have infusions daily.

Good luck everyone!

Can you remember what dose you were getting Colley for that $150? I questioned the price a lot thinking it was crazy expensive but the places I contacted in USA like 'Springfield Wellness Centre' were charging even more than here. I know some places do it cheaper but the dose might be a lot less. I have a friend in Denver doing it for $250 a day but his dose is only 250mg. I was getting 1g and even 1.5g for a few days at the end.

Sorry you didn't have much success Colley but you could be right about it having the most benefit from protecting you while doing the CT. That being said, I couldn't notice anything really from the IV's at all until the 5th day or so in a row where I started feeling really good. But there still needs to be a period of time where you brain heals and regrows synapses.

Yes that's the question I also had schamo, thank you very much for sharing your experience; I was wondering if that's something that can be done and if you can benefit from that after you've been off of medication for a while or is it only of  benefit when youre jumping? because I recently read the thread where several people posted about their great experiences with NAD+ when jumping. I don't have much money at all right now but i would willingly go into debt if there was anything at all at this point that could relieve my symptoms.Colley did you say that you didn't benefit from it at all after being off for 2.5 years, I've now been off of clonazepam for 19 months,  just wondering if I could find relief from that.

I think it would definately give you a good boost with your healing. One of the main things NAD does is heal you at a celluar level. I wouldn't claim that it's going to heal you 100% quickly, because I don't really know and I'm not healed. I just know that I'm way better now than I've been since the start which makes no sense because I should be WORSE after going back on benzos and CT again 1 month ago.

I had three sessions of infusions  six weeks after my cold turkey and then at the two month mark. I do feel that it helped expedite the healing process. I would have gotten more if it weren’t so cost prohibitive.

I also know of someone from this board who periodically got infusions to help with the tapering process ....

There is a special formula for drug detox and you do in a healthy amount ...  The brain needs to be bathed in the NAD.

Right now I’m 11 months off and am tapering Sertraline.  I’m wondering if NAD can help with AD withdrawal? Thinking about getting a booster session ...

Wow. I’m in Australia too and this sounds promising. At 29 months off and still suffering I’ll try anything. I know you can buy NAD tablets some places, do you think they would work or you need to iv stuff.

Yes flooding the system with NAD for continuous days seems to be the best course of action.

Are you getting any sx from the Sertraline taper Restoration? If you are then I'm guessing NAD could help that in a similar way to benzos.

Sunshine unfortunately the pills are next to useless compared to the IV. I bought 60 for $150 when I left and I can't feel a thing from them. Maybe the help a bit I don't notice anything.

Good luck everyone!

Can you remember what dose you were getting Colley for that $150? I questioned the price a lot thinking it was crazy expensive but the places I contacted in USA like 'Springfield Wellness Centre' were charging even more than here. I know some places do it cheaper but the dose might be a lot less. I have a friend in Denver doing it for $250 a day but his dose is only 250mg. I was getting 1g and even 1.5g for a few days at the end.

Sorry you didn't have much success Colley but you could be right about it having the most benefit from protecting you while doing the CT. That being said, I couldn't notice anything really from the IV's at all until the 5th day or so in a row where I started feeling really good. But there still needs to be a period of time where you brain heals and regrows synapses.

I'm not sure but good point. I know that I couldn't have tolerated much more than what was being given. There were days when it just made me feel so crappy / tight pain in my stomach that I couldn't go on with it. So I think the dose was at least high enough for me. Or possibly the solution in the IV he was using as the binder / filler didn't agree with me. Or, doing it everyday would have alleviated the pain / I would have gotten used to it. Again, best to do this at a clinic where they specialize.

And yes, fully agree you need to be doing this daily until you are feeling better... That being said, I still think this is a taper / CT protocol. And as you said, it's not a cure but it might just provide enough protection that you don't do significant damage that seems to happen during the early stages of withdrawal. And therefore heal faster and / or not experience the very worst of symptoms. Just throwing around possibilities. Nothing to back that up but.

Unfotunately, I haven't seen anyone here in protracted who had any success with this treatment.. and I'm not even sure if anyone (other than myself) in protracted has even given it a go. I've tried NAD supplements but no benefit there so my personal opinion is that you would need IV which of course is very cost prohibitive.

Yes Colley the reason I asked about dose is because I checked with a lot of places and $1000 for 1g seems to be the price everywhere...whether that be US or AUD.

Yes the symptoms are pretty brutal from the NAD but you start to adapt to it. Can you remember how long it took you to get through your IV? It took me about 6 hours the first day and by the end I was down to 4 hours which is pretty quick. If you were finishing your bag a lot quicker than its likely your dose was a lot smaller. Even people coming into my clinic without any benzo wd would take a long time to get through their bag...especially if it was just a one off.

I was also getting vitamins after in a small bag and some of them made me feel shit. Magnesium and glutathione didnt agree with me so I just got a bag of vit C after each nad bag which ia required to help the body detox safely. Different clinics do diff myers cocktails.

We’re you getting 1g infused everyday? So $1000 a day for 8 days or more? I wish I had the money, sadly this withdrawal and not being able to work full time has left me in horrible debt...sigh

Can you remember what dose you were getting Colley for that $150? I questioned the price a lot thinking it was crazy expensive but the places I contacted in USA like 'Springfield Wellness Centre' were charging even more than here. I know some places do it cheaper but the dose might be a lot less. I have a friend in Denver doing it for $250 a day but his dose is only 250mg. I was getting 1g and even 1.5g for a few days at the end.quote.                                                                                      Shamo, thank you for all this helpful info, it's so great you were able to find this at the right time, and you were able to get off benzos safely, that was smart of you. Can i ask one more question? This friend that you have in Denver do you know what clinicv here he went to to get it done? Because I'm also in Denver.

[50...]
I am highly considering this treatment, the only thing making me nervous is the fact that Nicotinamide (niacinamide) is a GABA-A positive allosteric modulator. I have already detoxed and I have Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, I really want to try the treatment but I'm scared of kindling. Has anyone seen any negative reactions? I've only seen it work or not work, haven't heard of anyone getting worse

Hey all,

A buddy asked me to look at this thread.  I have a few questions:

Shamo, if it gave you relief, that is fantastic! I am so glad for you!  If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying you were sick for years, got 8 days of a high dose 1g/day IV infusions of NAD+ and now you are fine?  No issues fine?  When did you have it done and for how long have you felt better?

I reiterate trustingod's question, what is the science behind this?  What is "question" NAD+ infusions answer?  What is it supposed to do?

PS I have searched the internet high and wide, and there is no evidence that niacinamide binds to the benzodiazepine receptor.  There was one case study once about a gut who replaced his Klonopin with niacinamide.  One guy.  Once.  I know that plain old niacin/nicotinic acid can "neutralize" excess glutamate.  I have used it when I tried folate, which is potent form of glutamate, and it did take away the "fake" pain and anxiety caused by the folate.  But I have also so searched the internet high and wide and there is not one article that can tell me how this works.  I for one, get revved up by both niacin and niacinamide because they release histamine.

Interestingly enough, I found one article that POSTULATED niacinamide works by raising NAD+, but that was one author's guess.

I would love to know more about the NAD+ infusion science, and if anyone has anything, please post.

Thanks,

Ramcon1

[50...]

Hey all,

Shamo, if it gave you relief, that is fantastic! I am so glad for you!  If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying you were sick for years, got 8 days of a high dose 1g/day IV infusions of NAD+ and now you are fine?  No issues fine?  When did you have it done and for how long have you felt better?

I reiterate trustingod's question, what is the science behind this?  What is "question" NAD+ infusions answer?  What is it supposed to do?

PS I have searched the internet high and wide, and there is no evidence that niacinamide binds to the benzodiazepine receptor.  There was one case study once about a gut who replaced his Klonopin with niacinamide.  One guy.  Once.  I know that plain old niacin/nicotinic acid can "neutralize" excess glutamate.  I have used it when I tried folate, which is potent form of glutamate, and it did take away the "fake" pain and anxiety caused by the folate.  But I have also so searched the internet high and wide and there is not one article that can tell me how this works.  I for one, get revved up by both niacin and niacinamide because they release histamine.

Interestingly enough, I found one article that POSTULATED niacinamide works by raising NAD+, but that was one author's guess.

I would love to know more about the NAD+ infusion science, and if anyone has anything, please post.

Thanks,

Ramcon1

Hi there, I didn't see anything about it interacting with the BZD receptor, but on Wikipedia nicotinamide is listed as a GABA-A positive modulator at the bottom of the page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide. I know there's a difference between agonists and positive allosteric modulators, but I thought both should be avoided in BWS and PAWS

Sunshine - I ended up having about 12 days total. I just did another 4 days once I was 4 weeks clean of meds. It was very expensive but I accessed some of my superannuation money (or 401k I think you guys call it over there)? I was able to get about 25k so I only really spent about half of that on NAD and I'm happy I did it. I was on a slow boat to nowhere.

As much as I would like to claim I'm an expert I am not. I still don't fully understand how it works....especially it's role in blocking symptoms. I didn't have much hope for it working but it did. I braced myself to get the horrific burning and nothing came. I read the stories of 2 ppl on here and then decided to give it a go. My clinic didn't even know much about benzo wd and NAD's help for it...my doctor was barely even there he was at his other clinics but I went for it anyway. It's not like any doctors understand benzo WD anyway! Was happy to go it alone.

No I am not healed or fine yet Ramcon. I had a lot of damage from my original taper in 2015 and then kindling and polydrugged with Lyrica. However, I am so much better now than I've been since the start of all this. In fact, I basically have no issues from food or coffee now which is something that plagued me heavily for the past year when I kindled. If anything that should have gotten worse since I CT again a month ago. It just feels like everything is improving rapidly. If I can be healed in 6 months that would be a HUGE WIN. There is nothing that can fix your brain in a week.

The best way I can describe it is that your body has lost the ability to heal itself and is like a dead battery. NAD supercharges your body and brain into repairing itself and growing new cells. The link to the podcast I put earlier in the thread is a really great listen.

Luket28 - There are precursers to NAD and things that are similar but one thing I learnt for sure is that they are almost useless compared to NAD IV. Even the pure nad capsules that get made up in a compound pharmacy by my clinic are a fraction of the IV. My doctor even admitted that. He said that some people who arent in withdrawal or sick with anything feel some benefit from them and get some good energy but NAD actually degrades quickly over time so they need to be kept in a fridge but still go down hill fast. I bought a box of 60 for $150 when I left my clinic and only took about 3 because they kinda made me feel weird and weren't helping. Then I went back for 4 more days of IV recently.

As far as hitting benzo receptors I never found that theory anywhere when researching and defintately havent had any setbacks or anything. I feel 10x better.

Hey all,

Thanks,

Ramcon1

Ramcon, folate is a precursor to or is glutamate? I’ve akways heard it was so much better than folic acid but I’m assuming it’s free glutamate (the MSG excitptoxin kind) not bound? I learn something new every day on this board and quite a bit from your posts too.

Shamo I’m not sure how far out we need to be to try modulators that inhibit GABA. Some people report success with Ginko but to wait until you are out of acute as it can be revving. I would assume it’s the same for NAD +...

I’m too sensitive to consider anything potige or negative. Maybe down the road

Again, glad it worked for you and you’ve found relief.

Hey all,

Thanks,

Ramcon1

Ramcon, folate is a precursor to or is glutamate? I’ve akways heard it was so much better than folic acid but I’m assuming it’s free glutamate (the MSG excitptoxin kind) not bound? I learn something new every day on this board and quite a bit from your posts too.

Shamo I’m not sure how far out we need to be to try modulators that inhibit GABA. Some people report success with Ginko but to wait until you are out of acute as it can be revving. I would assume it’s the same for NAD +...

I’m too sensitive to consider anything potige or negative. Maybe down the road

Again, glad it worked for you and you’ve found relief.

I'm not really sure either. But I didn't wait at all, I used it to get off the drugs. So I didn't even wait to be out of acute or anything.

I am so confused.  I don't know my genetics, but have 2 corrupted MTHFR genes.  Was told take folate not folic acid?  Currently I don't take any B vites, but was thinking about this.

So folate would make things worse?

Also wondering if you have an autoimmune issue-- I have hashimoto's--  would NAD be less indicated? 

I started off in acute when took mirtazapine and this is years later for me and still on some (see sig).  I just am falling apart here but don't want to do something more stupid than I've already done.

OH-- it was asked any bad results of NAD IV... and in a FB group someone told me a woman took it and wound up in a nursing home unable to do anything much.  I sent her a message to check it out and she verified that but did not say anything else.  So don't know what happened.

I am so confused.  I don't know my genetics, but have 2 corrupted MTHFR genes.  Was told take folate not folic acid?  Currently I don't take any B vites, but was thinking about this.

So folate would make things worse?

Also wondering if you have an autoimmune issue-- I have hashimoto's--  would NAD be less indicated? 

I started off in acute when took mirtazapine and this is years later for me and still on some (see sig).  I just am falling apart here but don't want to do something more stupid than I've already done.

OH-- it was asked any bad results of NAD IV... and in a FB group someone told me a woman took it and wound up in a nursing home unable to do anything much.  I sent her a message to check it out and she verified that but did not say anything else.  So don't know what happened.

BarbaraAve

I think you’re right in being cautious. I’m so glad it worked for Shamo but all of our situations are unique, some of us have nuances and intricacies with our nervous systems Pre Benzo and after the damage of psych meds. Honestly, I’d there was a tried and true method of healing other than time many more around be talking  about and utilizing it. Our GABA and glutamate aren’t in a vacuum they inhibit and stimulate all neurotransmitters and hormones and other chemical processes in our body even pre existing ones. That’s why all of our suffering is so unique and also why some things work for some and others don’t. I’m glad you mentioned the person in the nursing home as we all need to be aware of the risks with these treatments. Supplements aren’t benign. They are chemicals just like medicine and they affect us. If you’ve had an adverse reaction to one you may very well have an adverse reaction to another.

On the other end of this, you could be like the OP and get benefits from it. I’m personally scared of anything that messes with my biochemistry other than food. I got into this mess by trying to hack my brain with medicine and supplements.

Ok buddies,

Here is what I know:

If niacinamide is a positive allosteric modulator at the GABA-A receptor, it is extremely weak.  And I usually trust wiki, but not this time.  It also lists plain old NIACIN in that same category as "others unsorted" and gives a does provide a reference for any of them, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that plain old niacin does not modulate GABA-A at all.  It does help speed away glutamate, but again no one knows how or if he does, he has not published.  I would not fear using either if anyone found either helpful, except don;t go overboard with plain old niacin because it will suck up your methyl groups, and we need methyl groups, another topic for another day but . . .

It brings us to folate and folic acid.  In a neurologically typical person, MTHFR or not, folate is a step in the methylation cycle, used to metabolize meds, hormones, and turn on and off areas of genes in cells.  If you are MTHFR that just means you have a little difficulty turning less active folic acid into more active folate.  It is really no big deal.  What is a big deal for us is that ALL forms of vitamin B9, folic acid, folinic acid and folate are all forms of glutamate.  For those of you who feel absolutely awful after you eat dark leafy greens, that is why.  I am purposefully folate deficient, because I cannot tolerate more than a trace amount in any food or I will be in agony and hysterical until I "burn it off."  For those of you who can tolerate niacin (I used to, but now it liberates too much histamine) If you did eat a bowl of collard greens and are now hysterical, take some niacin, and it magically goes away.

Now what I do not know:

NAD+ is a recent craze.  Does that mean it is not helpful?  Not it at all.  It might be THE answer to a lot of questions.  It only means we may not know exactly how it works yet.  Plenty of great things were discovered by accident.  Those of you who know me and are on Chewing the fat know I have my fingers in like 10 different pots right now, and I will put NAD+ on the list.  For it to make my "list," and item has to show how it could, at least in theory, change the expression of our glutamate receptors.  A 30 second look up had me find a few articles, like this one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3944346/

So ok, it is on the list.

Shamo,

Can you do me a favor?  Would be so kind as to post your experience, you can copy paste quotes, etc, on Chewing the Fat?  Please be as complete as you can, "I was 'x' months clean.  I had 'y' major issues.  I did exactly this (describe the process, and how long ago as well), and I have noticed 'z' improvements as of now, 'q' months after the process."  There are a bunch of people looking into stuff there, and they will dig up lots of articles, and there will be dozens of replies in no time.

I hope you found the rest of this post helpful, and I will put NAD+ on the "list."

Ramcon1