~ Trazodone For Sleep/Anxiety ~ Would It Help Nausea? ~

[Se...]

I’ve had nausea since before my taper began.  I’m now off alprazolam 56 days.  I was hoping getting off that crap would eliminate nausea.  Not so.  It may be worse.  I’m currently tapering clonazepam. I have insomnia, MAYBE 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night.  Nausea wakes me up.  Along with nausea, I have anxiety, paresthesia (burning skin) and looping thoughts...usually in the form of a song playing over and over and over.  Nothing I do distracts my brain or allows me to fall back to sleep. 

I’ve read mixed reviews on it (more positive than negative) but probably not from people tapering off benzos.  I take mirtazapine and it’s pretty much useless at this point.  I take it because I can’t possibly handle tapering off a benzo and an AD.  That can wait. 

Wondering what your experience may be with Trazodone? If my nausea is anxiety fueled, maybe it would help? A decent side effect seems to be sleeping better. I have used/tried every nausea med known to man - prescription or over the counter.  They have offered minimal to zero relief and have side effects that complicate my already weary body, mind and spirit.  I’ve lost more than than 50 pounds and the best I’m doing with that is barely maintaining my weight.  I’m way too thin.

I meditate every morning, breathing exercises and also use EFT “tapping”. 

Desperation doesn’t even cover my status right now.

I never wanted to be “that person” on here.  All negativity.  That’s not who I am but it’s who I’ve become because of this poison. I’m sorry.

SG

I guess no one in the history of BB has ever been on trazodone so I’ll offer my own experience.  I did take 50mg of trazodone last night.  My sleep was better.  Not great but better.  I fell asleep on the couch at around 10:45 p.m., woke up at 1 a.m. and went to bed.  I woke up again at 3:30 a.m. and was able to fall back to sleep until 5:15 a.m. It’s giving me renewed hope.  I’m still queasy but it doesn’t feel like full blown nausea. I’m grateful for that!

I had some minor grogginess this morning but after showering that faded quickly.  I’m hoping trazodone reduces my anxiety which may in turn reduce nausea.  Fingers crossed!

So, if you’re thinking of trying trazodone for sleep and/or anxiety, chat with your doc.  Though trazodone is technically an antidepressant, it is useful for many with anxiety/sleep disorders.  When/if the day comes it no longer serves a purpose, I’m prepared to taper.  I’d rather do that than suffer with relentless nausea and insomnia.

Wish me luck!

SG

💜

Never helped me at all. Just another drug to quit. I notice when a doctor runs out of ideas, they pull out the prescription pad. Your 10 minutes are up.

Never helped me at all. Just another drug to quit. I notice when a doctor runs out of ideas, they pull out the prescription pad. Your 10 minutes are up.

@MessedUpByRx...

Actually, I’m the one who suggested it.  I’m a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) (ironic, huh?)!  I did my due diligence researching and felt it may be a good fit.  My symptoms have not improved over a year and something had to change.

Relentless nausea and incessant insomnia have been my two worst symptoms. 

It’s worth a try when everything else has failed.  I’m hooping it’s a good thing.  I know it’s another drug to quit, but I’ll cross that bridge when/if I get to it.  I’d rather be on an AD than a benzo. 

Thanks for your input!

SG

💜

• 3 weeks later...

I d/c trazodone 50mg after 16 days.  It wasn’t helping my sleep at all.  I was getting more nauseated as time went on with more symptoms like soaking night sweats and increased anxiety just to name two. 

It was with a try...I guess. 

One less thing to wean off. 

SG

💜

Sorry! Just saw this now might be a little late.

I used trazadone during withdrawal for mood and sleep. It didnt help. Made it worst (I was on trazadone before and It was a good med). But with wothdrawal, everything was too stressful. It gave me some days of withdrawal after stopping. But I took it for 2 months. Have you tried any “natural” remedies for nausea? We are very sensitive during withdrawal. Even to the good stuff

I thought it helped initially but quickly found it increased my symptoms.  I’m glad I d/c when I did so I didn’t have to do a long weaning process.  I took 1/4 of a 50mg tab as my final dose and that’s it.  Today is day two and I don’t feel any sense of withdrawal...thank God!!

I have tried EVERYTHING prescription and natural.  “Natural” I’ve tried ginger caps, ginger/lemon lozenges, all different flavors of teas, breathing exercises, slippery elm, and others I can’t recall right now. 

I’m just hoping the lower I get in my clonazepam taper, it may finally subside.  I’m also tapering mirtazapine as that has pooped out on me too.

Once I’m off both, I’m really hoping it’s the end of the nausea which is my worst symptom.

Thanks for reaching out!

SG

💜