What do you do to stay positive?

[Br...]

In a wave following a wonderful window - feeling discouraged.  WDsx of dread and foreboding are trying to lead me down the path of gloom, and my dizziness came back.  I don't have the energy to throw myself into distracting activity because I have a cold.

What do you do to keep up your positive attitude?  I need to add some new tools to my toolkit.

Thank you and bless this forum,

BD

I go out for a good long walk. Even if I don’t want to. I always feel better afterwards. Any time I have stayed in it took me to the next day to recover.

Hi Brighter,  Sounds like you have a cold on top of BWD.  Sucks...but, this is a time to really practice self care.  Be easy on yourself about having this cold virus.  Take extra care and nurture your body back.  The viral infection is probably going to increase your sxs.  Just recognize this and let the virus run it's course. 

I know the frustration of sxs returning after a nice window.  I am dealing with this today as well.  So deflating but we know this wave will end.  I focus on the sh*t storm being temporary.  It will blow through. 

Hi Brighterday, I don't know if you're dealing with any akathisia mental or physical, but I remember I had a really bad cold/benzos flu at the beginning of this and I couldn't walk or exercise or anything like that so I was journaling like crazy, i remember it did help a little bit with anxiety and depression. Feel better there!))

Ya..I can't walk today either because of dizziness.  Hasn't been this bad for awhile..So, like givemehope said, walking is essential, but today is a no' because of vertigo. (and snowy icy sidewalks)  To get rid of the energy, I gently stretch on yoga mat.  Several times a day.

Many swear by keeping their hands busy and channeling out some energy.  Journaling, ya can do your mental work along with pen to paper.  That sounds like a good idea.

I have ordered a keyboard...88key.  I don't play...but am going to learn.  Will keep my hands busy plus work on developing brain function.  I know a little but this will be a big learning curve.

Hope ya feel better.

In the morning I try to think of three things that I'm thankful for. It can be as simple as being thankful for a warm cup of tea, or as deep as thinking about my kids. If I can just keep those three things in mind it helps put myself on a more positive course for the day.

Hi Brighterday,

I actually do video journals. Maybe 2 a week. I record myself, I let out all of my emotions. I talk about what I’m feeling physically and then I ALWAYS end with a positive reflection or hopeful desire. A few times I’ve ended my video with a prayer. It just close my eyes at the end of the video and just talk to God. What I want, what I need, what I like, what I don’t like, what I hope, what I look forward to, etc.  The videos can rage from 5 mins to 30+ mins. I watch the video back usually at the end of the day as a reward to say “See girl, YOU MADE IT THROUGH ANOHER DAY!” Interestingly enough, sometimes I’m so long winded in videos I even fall asleep watching it, lol (temporary cure for insomnia, lol) So Why video journals? I’m honestly more of a techy person than hand-written journaling. I also video journal because for some reason my handwriting is so off right now. *shrug*. I think it has something to do with weaker muscle tone in my hands. But that’s only temporary, Firm muscle tone in my hands will return! I keep the videos to myself. Maybe someday I’ll share. But it’s mainly for motivation and documenting a personal journey to healing. Now, I do have a gratitude journal and I write maybe once a week or every 10 days. At least 5 things I’m grateful for. Either way, recording a video or writing, I always end with something positive.

- Dani

P.S. I also recorded a few videos when I had windows and I left a message for myself (to future Dani) saying that “windows are great, this is a sign of healing, you are strong, you can do it”, etc. So when I watch the video on a hard day, it’s set up to be an actual VISUAL of self-motivation. Hope this helps!

Givemehope, Dove, KathyM, Travis and Dani,

Thank you for all your good ideas and validation, and especially your kindness in reaching out to me.  It has really helped lift me up in these dark days. 

I'm really grateful to each of you -

BD

Strategies I've Tried Throughout Recovery:

* Write in a journal - free writing, gratitude journaling, affirmations

* Take a long walk - or at least sit outside in sunlight/fresh air

* Take a long hot bubble bath with aromatherapy

* Sit in a recliner under a weighted blanket and watch Netflex

* Crochet

* Yoga

* Meditation

* Reading

* Read or post here on Bb

* Call a friend or family member

* Listen to relaxing meditation music (6-12 hour instrumental Youtube videos)

* Go to the gym

* Take photographs

* Garden

* Cook

I'm sure there's more. If it helps me feel even a little bit better for even a few minutes, or if it distracts me, it's worth it. I built some healthy habits along the way too.

Good luck,

Gwinna

Thanks for all the great ideas Gwinna.  You have an impressive toolkit!

Anxiety is my primary tormenter.  I become very discouraged when my anxiety is unrelenting.

I'm curious about the weighted blanket - would you mind telling me about it and where you got it?

I'm also curious about the aromatherapy - I know nothing about it.  Do you put essential oils in the bath? Which ones?

Thanks again  :)

Glad you posted, BD, as I just got a cold/bronchitis thing and literally not been able to do much but lie in bed... not sleeping... but no energy.  Glad to know it is not just me, even if that sounds a little selfish, I guess.

You guys, I live in a tiny place... wondering if you have suggestions.  I have like 750 square feet.  All the interesting stuff I did do (ceramics, yoga) I did not here.  Now I'm agoraphobic and don't get out.

I feel totally screwed.  I have a sewing machine in the garage but it is large and nowhere to put it here.  Pottery wheel can't get to because climate change made it so I had to put portable a/c in front of the wheel.  So what can I do?

Sorry not meaning to hijack this thread-- just glad this was asked!

Exercise has been my best distraction. I am symptom free the entire time so it’s wonderful to feel normalcy for a couple of hours. 💪🏽

I can’t do anything but use iPad which on a stand that hangs in front of me because can’t hold it and have to lie down all the time.

Get terror from look, sound and feel of iPad but it is all I have so I play endless games of solitaire, word puzzles etc even if have to cheat on those as well because cognition so bad.

Not same as staying positive but I can’t be positive getting Ben my situation so try to distract from the negative as much as can instead.

Thanks for all the great ideas Gwinna.  You have an impressive toolkit!

Anxiety is my primary tormenter.  I become very discouraged when my anxiety is unrelenting.

I'm curious about the weighted blanket - would you mind telling me about it and where you got it?

I'm also curious about the aromatherapy - I know nothing about it.  Do you put essential oils in the bath? Which ones?

Thanks again  :)

The weighted blanket was a gift so I don't have any details, but I'm pretty sure you can find them on Amazon. Mine is wonderful for sitting in a recliner, but it tends to put me to sleep and that hurts my back after a while. You can also find weighted stuffed animals - I had one that smelled like lavender too. Weight on my chest in particular is helpful for me.

Aromatherapy for me is just surrounding myself with scents that I like. Some smells, like Lavender, are known to be calming. Others trigger happy childhood memories, or else I just like them. I do bath salts, scented candles, incense, scented oil in a diffuser - whatever works. It gets expensive but can be so worth it! I put a different scented candle in each room of my new apartment to help me get used to it and associate positive feelings with the space.

My best advice is to just play around and see what sensory input you find pleasant - then expose yourself to it. You can work out the details as you go.  :)

Good luck,

Gwinna

Exercise has been my best distraction. I am symptom free the entire time so it’s wonderful to feel normalcy for a couple of hours. 💪🏽

Wow. That's great. I'v yet to be completely symptom free.