Has anyone with SEVERE MUSCLE PAIN gotten better eventually?

[va...]

I'm holding at 2.5 valium after a terrible crash last summer. My muscle symptoms aren't getting better. I know there are many in my situation or worse: Ajusta, Mary, Dehytq.

Please, has anyone gotten well after coming off or through a long hold?

Please no depressing posts. We have more of those than we need.

Hello val, yes, I did. As I wrote on my blog:

The withdrawal symptoms during this period [benzo taper] were mainly physical. I had constant muscle and joint pain, which at times was very strong and peaked at about 50% of the dose. At that point I lost consciousness and then was bedridden for a couple of weeks, unable to move a finger. But I held the dose and eventually felt better. I held several times during my taper, when the symptoms became too strong. Indeed, about half the time during the taper I was holding the dose. And it eventually worked. Every time. Exercise was also a big help. Of course, I couldn't always do it and most of the time I could only do light things like yoga and stretching. But I always tried hard not to stop. In the short term it relieved joint and muscle discomfort and in the long term helped not to lose muscle mass which is a risk during withdrawal.

You will also get better, I'm sure

:angel:Did you have severe spasm, tightness, contracture?

E,g. My jaw gets so tightbon low dose snapsxshut if try to open it and pulls n temporalis muscle.

It has now dislocated.

Every muscle in my body is like that.

It is pulling vertebra out of place.

No position is bearable.

Did you have anything like that which then eased?

Once get on lower dose can’t even lie on memory foam let alone yoga mat.

Can’t sit or stand either hence all reinstatement’s.

Unfortunately for me before I had the surgery that lead to the Benzos I never lost consciousness from pain and it was severe - surgeon could not believe ai wadn’t screaming g when he finally saw how damaged sciatic nerve was. Felt like bones were being ripped out of leg.

Yes, constant tightness, painful cramps, muscle tear. I sometimes woke up in the middle of the night screaming. And I still have a residual problem on my Aquiles tendon. When I lost consciousness due to the pain, I fell on the floor and then I could not reach the bed two meters away. It took me forever, every move brought unbearable pain. My husband helped me and then fed me during the time I could not move. That time I had to take painkillers. I also took a lot of Magnesium during the taper and it really helped with these muscle and joint problems. Oh, and I almost forgot, hot bathes were fantastic when things were really bad.

It always got better. I held the dose and waited. Then, as soon as I was able I would resume exercising. I did only what I could, but always tried to push myself a little. I didn't want to get too out of shape because that would make things more difficult in the long term.

Don't you feel relief when you stretch?

Magnesi, thank you so much for your encouraging post. I've been holding five months since my crash and my muscles have improved very very little. I see by your last post that your pain was worse than mine and more like Ajustas. I wonder how long you had to hold to notice an improvement that made the next cut bearable. I have to work and raise a teenager through all this completely by myself, so being in any way disabled, mentally or physically, is not an option. Magnesi I'm glad I opened this thread because your post is the most hopeful one I've read on the muscle pain issue.

Agree with that. Thank you, Magnesi. This muscle pain is by far my worst symptom too at the moment. My heart goes out to you ladies for having so much pain. I know what you're going through. Ajusta, dear, hold on. Keep hoping better times will come!  Val, I have great respect for you, working and raising a kid in this situation. Super. 

Val, I never waited more than three months. But I was doing a daily micro-taper, not a cut-and-hold taper. With a daily micro-taper the cuts are very small, so you don't have a sudden change. I would hold the dose until I felt reasonably well and then resumed cutting very slowly. If I felt bad I would immediately stop and hold again. I tapered the benzo over one year and more or less half of that time I was holding the dose. I held a LOT. Also, feeling reasonably well doesn't mean I would be able to work all day. I rested on the couch a lot of time. In fact, I often worked from the couch (I used a diy device to hold the laptop over my head so that I could use it while laying down). It helped that I was working independently. 

If you have to go to work every day, you need to take very good care of yourself. Get an ergonomic and very comfortable chair that you can lean back when needed. Perhaps you could get a medical justification that everybody understands. And take a nap during lunchtime.

It would be a good idea too to consider doing a daily micro taper as transitions are much smoother.

I also felt very guilty in relation to my children, teenagers too. But as ACONs, we know were that comes from :( In reality they don't need our full undivided attention all the time. They are learning to become independent adults and understand a lot more than we think. He/she will be OK.

:smitten:

Val, I never waited more than three months. But I was doing a daily micro-taper, not a cut-and-hold taper. With a daily micro-taper the cuts are very small, so you don't have a sudden change. I would hold the dose until I felt reasonably well and then resumed cutting very slowly. If I felt bad I would immediately stop and hold again. I tapered the benzo over one year and more or less half of that time I was holding the dose. I held a LOT. Also, feeling reasonably well doesn't mean I would be able to work all day. I rested on the couch a lot of time. In fact, I often worked from the couch (I used a diy device to hold the laptop over my head so that I could use it while laying down). It helped that I was working independently. 

If you have to go to work every day, you need to take very good care of yourself. Get an ergonomic and very comfortable chair that you can lean back when needed. Perhaps you could get a medical justification that everybody understands. And take a nap during lunchtime.

It would be a good idea too to consider doing a daily micro taper as transitions are much smoother.

I also felt very guilty in relation to my children, teenagers too. But as ACONs, we know were that comes from :( In reality they don't need our full undivided attention all the time. They are learning to become independent adults and understand a lot more than we think. He/she will be OK.

:smitten:

Thank you Magnesi. I am holding for as long as it takes, I am self employed, work from home but with people all day. I teach English one to one and to groups mostly at my own home. Then I have many other daily errands to do, banks and things, apart from daughter. No one else is going to do all this for me so I'll hold one year, two years or forever, no idea. If I ever feel strong again I will start tapering. If I don't, I'll stay on this dose. I don't believe in the tolerance withdrawal fear as a reason to taper, as that's the kind of theory that made me crash in the first place. The most scary are my mental symptoms but I'll hold here at this dose and who knows, if and when they improve, maybe the muscle stuff gets better too. It's just that this is getting old, but of course I know many can relate to this feeling of hopelessness.

Yes, constant tightness, painful cramps, muscle tear. I sometimes woke up in the middle of the night screaming. And I still have a residual problem on my Aquiles tendon. When I lost consciousness due to the pain, I fell on the floor and then I could not reach the bed two meters away. It took me forever, every move brought unbearable pain. My husband helped me and then fed me during the time I could not move. That time I had to take painkillers. I also took a lot of Magnesium during the taper and it really helped with these muscle and joint problems. Oh, and I almost forgot, hot bathes were fantastic when things were really bad.

It always got better. I held the dose and waited. Then, as soon as I was able I would resume exercising. I did only what I could, but always tried to push myself a little. I didn't want to get too out of shape because that would make things more difficult in the long term.

Don't you feel relief when you stretch?

Magnesium causes horrific symptoms.

Can’t feel any stretch and it makes everything seize up more.

Holding just makes it worse.

I was on Benzos for muscle problems but not in al, places have it now.

It is like wherever muscle attaches to b e it has turned to tight gristle and is pulling joints in wrong direction - sound is like concertina.

Tried walking today but pulling in buttocks and legs get me more rigid and whole upper back and jaw much worse.

Now buttocks and sacrum so painful and lie on them and that is with clin dose.

My muscle pain.is pretty bad. I gues it gets better when it gets better. I try everything stretching walking.

It was tight muscles now it feels like knotted up muscle spasms. If that makes sense. The muscles are everything tight rigid and spasmed. I was prescribed a muscle relaxer. I dont think I can take it. Wpuld that be bad and make things worse and prevent healing?

My muscle pain.is pretty bad. I gues it gets better when it gets better. I try everything stretching walking.

It was tight muscles now it feels like knotted up muscle spasms. If that makes sense. The muscles are everything tight rigid and spasmed. I was prescribed a muscle relaxer. I dont think I can take it. Wpuld that be bad and make things worse and prevent healing?

Suzy can you ask that question opening a thread with the name of that muscle relaxer in the other medications board? You'll get more answers hopefully. I'm sorry this is being so tough on your muscles.

If you are not sensitised to other meds take the muscle relaxant.

I have tried Tizanidine, Dantrolene, Trihexiphenydyl, Topirimate and Tegretol.

Tizanidine worked well but only lasted 2 hours but caused same horrific stuff I now get when take anything g but that is just me, even paracetemol makes hallucinations and terror worse since reinstated benzo and then cut again.

When I tried magnesium I went into a wave. Of course you never know if the wave was coming anyway or if it was the magnesium, but I'm not brave enough to give it another shot.

I hate to take anything these days.  We are all so dam senditive it is rediuclous! I really just try to get evwrything from food. That is tpuchy too!!! Omg nuts

It might. Ir is really cheap and they have different flavors

Suzy I might buy it on my next shopping order then. My physical therapist told me last Thursday to try some special drinks post exercise that he was recommending as I tell him about my problem, but I thought it would do nothing for bwd. Maybe I should try. Next Thursday I'll ask him the brand. He's really into fitness, he runs Ironman and that sort of thing, but he seems to believe my bwd stories.

Note n odd has turned up on this thread to say they recovered from severe muscle symptoms.

Ajusta but magnesi did recover. Maybe some did and they're no longer on BBs. I'm sorry, I feel your pain. Well not literally, but I can imagine your despair.