Food cooked with alcohol

[Al...]

[6a...]
Yes, i ate a casserole cooked with red wine, i immediately started to feel like i was tipsy and my sxs revved up for about 2 hours. I'm 23 months off. I would've thought the cooking process would burn off the alcohol but a friend who is a chef said that if the food has been marinated in alcohol before cooking it can result in less of it getting cooked off.

Wow, thought i am the only one extremely sensitized. 3 month off, had half shrimp cooked with wine, brought up the most severe setback worse than the acute stage jumping off. It has been 1 months since the incidence im still suffering immensely with worsed wd sx but the new ones are subsiding.

Totally unbelievable.

It felt exactly like i took a dose of benzo 3 months after stopping the pill.

I cant believe you are still sensitized 26 months off! What are the sx?

[6a...]
Yeah, I've had a few setbacks that have seriously extended my wd process. My baseline sx is severe burning in my legs and neuropathy in my feet and sometimes my hands. Brutal waves of dp /dr with a dark depression that only showed up 3 months ago (due to big glutamate storm), relentless adrenaline surges which shoot my bp sky high (have to take beta blocker for it). I've come to the conclusion I'll be another 3 years healing but if the adrenaline surges and the dp /dr and dark depression in waves would leave I'd be ok to live with the rest. All this hell and more  after 6 weeks use is unbelievable. I'm getting waves lasting 2 weeks plus, and maybe a window for a few days and then the horror show starts again.

• 2 weeks later...

It is indeed southern star! What kind of poison these drugs need to be for such incredible damage. Damn it!

I’m too, started this most dangerous evil drug for back injury. It turned a normal back patient into a non human total crippled in the worst hell in just a few days. It’s so heartbreaking!

Have you ever token any other brain meds before?

[6a...]
Never took any medication for anything before, was completely fit and healthy except for benign growth in my spine that caused the muscle spasm. I might add that I've had 2 strokes due to bwd, the first in acute and the second 3 months ago which took my vision. Dr's are quite categorical both caused by bwd. Evil drugs for sure. I'm permanently disabled now, all bcuz of an ill educated Dr.

My god, southern start, it breaks my heart. I was not too well before Valium due to years messing up with lexapro, so thought that is why I was hit so deadly by Valium with a compromised cns.

Your case shows how absolutely poisonous benzo is by itself!

What are your current most disabling sx? Do you see any improvement? What is your reaction to food with wine?

[6a...]

Yeah I'm pretty much the poster child for never take a benzo! No prior cardiac issues proven by the pre and post op heart tests i had. Most disabling sxs are adrenaline surges all night long are the worst bcuz they skyrocket my bp and pulse, severe fatigue, muscle pain and neuropathy and cog fog dementia like sxs. Waves are brutal and come every 7-10 days and last 1-3 weeks.The adrenaline surges put me into Afib and my heart blood vessels are damaged hence the strokes. Dr's say it's bcuz i was CTd and reinstated twice by same clueless Dr and then dragged off on a too fast taper. I was almost healed before this recent troke apart from the adrenaline surges but now i feel like i got sent back to acute to start again.

If i eat anything cooked with alcohol the surges really amp up, but other foods can cause it too, probably anything that affects glutamate. It's going to be hard this holiday season as so much stuff is cooked or marinated in alcohol, how do we know before we eat it.

Cooking with alcohol is not a problem because the alcohol evaporates out of the dish when heated. There may be problems with other stuff in the wine or whatever used in cooking but it's the alcohol.

Again, if it causes a problem, don't do it.

[6a...]
I asked a chef and he said alcohol doesn't always evaporate out of the food in the cooking process. If the food is a dense protein like meat, chicken etc and has been marinated in an alcohol based marinade then only a small amount evaporates out.

Alcohol completely cooking out of foods is a wices tale/urban legend. Yes is obvious we should avoid foods that effect us but if we go off false information we could harm ourselves. This is how our doctors damaged us. Let's post the truth (and not shrug it off) so other buddies who read this have a heads up. It's takes hours for just percentages of alcohol.to be cooked out of foods. When's the last time you waited hours for your dish to arrive when you are out?

https://www.nal.usda.gov/sites/default/files/fnic_uploads/Alcohol-Retention.pdf

Also, there is alcohol in soy sauce, vinegar, fruits, fruit juices, yogurt, and get this....bread! A hamburger roll may have 1.4% alcohol

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5421578/

Good point and info, trust.

Even with lack of systematic scientific research, i cant deny how my body reacted. It was exactly like i took a dose of benzo being off valium for 5 months. I reacted to many food item that are high in glutamate, the reactions to cooking wine and vinegar are the only 2 feels this way, very different from the high glutamate food.

Most ppl are not as sensitized, many have no issues with anything they eat. But for those are, this is good info/experience sharing.

I'm not used to drink alcohol and just a glass makes me drunk. Alcohol has a really strong effect on me and I despise this taste anyway.

However, I cook a lot with white wine and rum. And I use  alot of it  ;D never had a single problem with that.

If you think you'll have a problem, then you might have a problem because you'll somatize. Power of the brain upon our body. Stay away from it if it's really a big deal for you, there's enough good food without alcohol... Don't create problems where there's none  ;)

I'm not used to drink alcohol and just a glass makes me drunk. Alcohol has a really strong effect on me and I despise this taste anyway.

However, I cook a lot with white wine and rum. And I use  alot of it  ;D never had a single problem with that.

If you think you'll have a problem, then you might have a problem because you'll somatize. Power of the brain upon our body. Stay away from it if it's really a big deal for you, there's enough good food without alcohol... Don't create problems where there's none  ;)

No offense, but your comment sounds  like something many of our doctors who deny benzo withdrawal would say: "It's all in your head"

Sure, anxiety can heighten symptoms, but the flippant dismissal of others on here to others who don't quite have the same experience as they do is insulting sometimes. I find those who have paraesthesia, sensory distortion, and other nerve issues tend to be the most sensitive to other GABA modulators and drugs that cross the BBB. Many report setbacks and issues with alcohol- even Dr. Ashton recommended staying away from it. I just posted a link showing scientific evidence sponsored by the USDA showing that alcohol remains in foods even after being cooked (for hours). I believe in the power of suggestion (placebo works! limbic retraining is good stuff) but if I asked you to will away your symptoms would that work? Can you try to not somaticise if I gave you another benzo dose to take? Alcohol- benzos, same thing to our brains. We aren't talking about an outrageous reaction to the Beatles song, seeing a glimpse of Oprah, or the color green. (Although I would argue all of those can be scary during derealization)

Just because your neuroreceptors are not as damaged as others, or you can handle GABAergics, does not mean your subjective experience is correct and everyone else is "somaticizing". Again, I don't mean this spitefully, but as a gentle correction.

That said, I'm glad you can handle alcohol in foods, that means you are healed or are healing or will heal or that the damage done to your CNS is not as severe as others (not downplaying your suffering either). Consider yourself very lucky or blessed and please use this to encourage others.

I do not consider myself "lucky" or whatever. Just emphazing that if OP is so scared of cooking with alcohol, it's maybe better to stay away because even if her body can handle that, we are not sure that his anxiety about eating it will not create problems. And we ALL know here how powerful anxiety can be upon our bodies.

Somatizing is a really strong problem here because we are all so anxious about everything, that's why I don't think we should create more problems in doing test & learn about such small things, with the risk of adding another item at our huge list of "things I used to do and can't do anymore". If OP is scared, then there is plenty of food she can eat without using alcohol. When she won't be scared anymore about that, maybe it'll be the right time to test.

So basically there are 4 possible attitudes here:

• - Not eating cooked alcohol at all for now
    - Eating it and having a bad reaction because benzo
    - Eating it and having bad reaction because OP is anxious and her mind will interpret any bad effect after as an immediate response to alcohol, even if it's only related to bad luck/bad timing. That's the one I'm concerned about, because OP had the urge to ask this very specific question before even trying (so I guess). It's just basic psychology. If you fear something, there's a good chance your body will act on it as a threat.
    - Eating it and feeling fine.

Also, OP asked about our reaction to cooked alcohol. I replied I had none, as far as I'm concerned. If I wasn't aware that people here have all their own specific symptoms, I wouldn't have even bother to advise to stay away from alcohol for now, because I would have think "since it was fine for me, it'll be fine for you".

I hope I better explained what I was thinking about in my last reply  :thumbsup:

EDIT : OP is a she, not a he ^^ corrected

I do not consider myself "lucky" or whatever. Just emphazing that if OP is so scared of cooking with alcohol, it's maybe better to stay away because even if her body can handle that, we are not sure that his anxiety about eating it will not create problems. And we ALL know here how powerful anxiety can be upon our bodies.

Somatizing is a really strong problem here because we are all so anxious about everything, that's why I don't think we should create more problems in doing test & learn about such small things, with the risk of adding another item at our huge list of "things I used to do and can't do anymore". If OP is scared, then there is plenty of food she can eat without using alcohol. When she won't be scared anymore about that, maybe it'll be the right time to test.

So basically there are 4 possible attitudes here:

• - Not eating cooked alcohol at all for now
    - Eating it and having a bad reaction because benzo
    - Eating it and having bad reaction because OP is anxious and her mind will interpret any bad effect after as an immediate response to alcohol, even if it's only related to bad luck/bad timing. That's the one I'm concerned about, because OP had the urge to ask this very specific question before even trying (so I guess). It's just basic psychology. If you fear something, there's a good chance your body will act on it as a threat.
    - Eating it and feeling fine.

Also, OP asked about our reaction to cooked alcohol. I replied I had none, as far as I'm concerned. If I wasn't aware that people here have all their own specific symptoms, I wouldn't have even bother to advise to stay away from alcohol for now, because I would have think "since it was fine for me, it'll be fine for you".

I hope I better explained what I was thinking about in my last reply  :thumbsup:

EDIT : OP is a she, not a he ^^ corrected

I understand what you meant now. Thanks for spelling it out for me. Sorry for misunderstanding your intention and delivery. Also, I'm sorry to hear you aren't one of the "lucky" ones and are suffering. We will get there