omeprazole / prilosec tapering

[bo...]

Hello,

Sorry to start yet another omeprazole thread.

I'm currently tapering off V for my mum, after reinstating her on a lower dose after her C/T in august.

She is currently on 7mg V, about 62% of her original dose of 11.25mg.

I've since become aware of the interaction between omeprazole / prilosec and Valium, and have since taken steps to make sure she takes her V at least 2 hrs after her prilosec. She was originally on 40mg prilosec but is only on 20mg now, as of afew months back, with no effect that we noticed.

We're doing on a long hold of V, probably for another 1 - 2 mths before we restart the taper, observing to see if her sx will relent slightly and allow her to be more functional. Mainly dp/dr, memory and cognitive issues are her biggest sx. I'm considering tapering her off her remaining omeprazole. The doctors recommend alternate days dosing of her 20mg ON dose, but im worrying that it might fluctuate the way her body metabolizes the valium.

My question is, whether or not it's safe and possible to open and weigh the beads in the capsules and taper her offby stepping down to 15mg for 10-14 days, then 10mg, then 5 mg etc until i get her off without too severe rebound acid reflux? Has anyone tried so?

tl;dr is it safe to open omeprazole capsules and taper off slowly in smaller decrements?