Every morning Fear and Freezing

[Ma...]

I wake up every morning in fear and I am cold beyond comprehension. I don’t even want to get in the shower because I’m afraid how cold it is when I get out. Does anyone have this?  How does it go away?

Yep, I had that. Even in the summer on occasions I was cold. I spent one winter in wearing 4 jumpers. The best investment I got was an electric blanket. It will go. Mine did. Just another strange symptom.

I believe it's the function of hypothalamus that's affected by benzos, and as it's responsible for up/down regulation  of the body temperature we begin to suffer from too much heat or cold all the time in WD. I'm hot all the time now, I used to be cold before benzos because I'm pretty little but now I'm always hot, it's so odd.

[9c...]

No you're not the only one with an aversion to heat.  :P I always said I loved the cold (but feel differently today) because at least it affords us an out - we can bundle up. When it's too hot there's no escaping it!

But yeah even though I can't tolerate the heat - I do get cold (and hot) way more easily now. Clicked this post because I've been freezing all day indoors despite the bundling up.

The hypothalamus explanation is interesting KathyM. It would explain the sudden sensitivity to temperatures. Seems like benzos just take everything to another level.

Marcmyword, I'd just have a lot of layers on hand. Apparently showering lowers your body temperature, so be sure to stack on a as many layers of thick material clothes as possible afterwards. Hopefully you can find some relief.

No you're not the only one with an aversion to heat.  :P I always said I loved the cold (but feel differently today) because at least it affords us an out - we can bundle up. When it's too hot there's no escaping it!

But yeah even though I can't tolerate the heat - I do get cold (and hot) way more easily now. Clicked this post because I've been freezing all day indoors despite the bundling up.

The hypothalamus explanation is interesting KathyM. It would explain the sudden sensitivity to temperatures. Seems like benzos just take everything to another level.

Marcmyword, I'd just have a lot of layers on hand. Apparently showering lowers your body temperature, so be sure to stack on a as many layers of thick material clothes as possible afterwards. Hopefully you can find some relief.

I could definitely see the showering lowering your body temp even if it was a hot shower, once the water starts to evaporate off your skin it also pulls heat. Makes sense. Like how the kangaroos lick themselves to help cool down.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this too. It started last April when I made a cut that was too big for my brain to handle. It was bad for a few months. Like it was 90 degrees outside in the summer and I had on long pants and a hoodie. When I wasn’t warm enough my body would shake like it was trying to warm itself.  I am still cold now but I’m pretty sure it’s because it’s winter and freezing outside. So don’t worry it will pass. You are strong and will get through it.

Maybe get a space heater for your bathroom and make it nice and warm before you shower. So when you get out the air temperature doesn’t feel as cold. Then like another buddie said make sure you get dressed in layers right away. I do this and it really helps me.

Let us know if you find something that helps.

Pearl

When I put a sheet or blanket over me, I feel like I'm burning up. When I take off a cover, I feel like

I'm freezing..... can't win.

Try 100% linen sheets and simple bed clothes. Can be expensive, so try Overstock.com.  If you know someone who sews, buy the fabric and do your own set. Linen has a particular wavelength from the flax fibers that not only regulates temp, hot or cold, but promotes healing. It wicks any moisture.  I made a set and it really helped.  Scientific studies show that Japanese care homes that use linen sheets for the elderly have no bedsores. Hope this helps.

I wake up every morning in fear and I am cold beyond comprehension. I don’t even want to get in the shower because I’m afraid how cold it is when I get out. Does anyone have this?  How does it go away?

These meds can cause some bizarre bodily sensations. My problem is heat and burning skin underneath sensations, not so much cold.  :'(

:-\ I also suffer from overheating all the time and my skin burns around my torso, legs and back. My body temperature regulation is not functioning properly at all while tapering. The temperature here in Africa is almost 90 Degrees and getting hotter, and it feels like I am in pure hell, as have no aircon, as we have electrical shortages at present.  :-[