Cipro?

[ca...]

Has anybody had adverse reaction to the antibiotic Cipro? I have done some reading about this drug after I took a 5 day dose for a UTI. The Doctors say the usual, just like they do about Benzos. "It's out of your system after 24 hours". Well, what I am experiencing is very similar to what I experienced in my early withdrawal. Dizziness, anxious, nervous, heart palps. This could be completely coincidental but it doesn't seem likely. I would like some feedback. Thanks!

Saying “it’s out of your system in 24 hrs,” is like saying “a bullet passes through your body in less than a second - no big deal.”

I took antibiotics, not Cipro, and it set me back.

[f2...]

Has anybody had adverse reaction to the antibiotic Cipro? I have done some reading about this drug after I took a 5 day dose for a UTI. The Doctors say the usual just like they do about Benzos. "It's out of your system after 24 hours". Well, what I am experiencing is very similar to what I experienced in my early withdrawal. Dizziness, anxious, nervous, heart palms. This could be completely coincidental but it doesn't seem likely. I would like some feedback. Thanks!

Docs and benzo...it took me 6 weeks to have diazepam out of my system... I had taken cipro nothing happend. 3 or 4 times...I am.always the same mess...

[1c...]

Hi camre!

I took Cipro and another medication that had a benzo (bromazepan) and trimebutine all together. The benzo was the equivalent of 0.125 of clonazepan. I was on them for aprox 10 days. Two weeks after I finished that crap my life completely changed. I couldn't sleep at all, my anxiety was up to the roof I didn't feel myself. At the beginning I thought it was the benzo but  when I found out what the Cipro did to other people I don't know which to blame for my two year ordeal.

Cipro is a very potent antibiotic. It belongs to the family of fluoquinolones. It was first designed for cancer treatment. It acts on the DNA of the bacteria and is very known, together with Levaquin, to cause tendon ruptures. It also crosses the brain barrier and that's why some people have had issues with it.

I've been researching a lot about this two poisons and the general consensus is that when it comes to withdrawal cipro and benzos have to be treated the same way. Actually both drugs fight for the same GABA receptors in the brain, thats why in some articles they advice not to take them together. 

Most doctors say the same thing about the drug leaving your system in days. The issue is what damage they did while you were taking them.

My advice is to not panic. Get into a good natural diet. Get everything naturally from foods but most of all distract yourself and don't make this issue the center of your life.

Good luck!

Miguel

My journey started with Cipro and is not an uncommon one.

I was given massive doses of cipro for repeated attacks of diverticulitis . After the last dose I developed tingling in the feet followed by severe tingling over my entire body resulting in restless legs and insomnia . I did not make the connection between the overused cipro and the tingling , nor did my useless primary who put me on temazapam and klonopinn . A few months later I was in tolerance and totally unaware as was my useless Dr. of the toxic floxed cipro- benzo connection.

Now I thankfully know all of it ,and thankfully four years later am almost recovered . My worst symptom all along has been restless body tingling .

I'm aware that this post will show up in medications but I hopefully  it could be moved to the more visible forums. We need to get the word out on the toxicity of cipro and the other fluers. when combined with other gaba altering medications .

Hi camre!

I took Cipro and another medication that had a benzo (bromazepan) and trimebutine all together. The benzo was the equivalent of 0.125 of clonazepan. I was on them for aprox 10 days. Two weeks after I finished that crap my life completely changed. I couldn't sleep at all, my anxiety was up to the roof I didn't feel myself. At the beginning I thought it was the benzo but  when I found out what the Cipro did to other people I don't know which to blame for my two year ordeal.

Cipro is a very potent antibiotic. It belongs to the family of fluoquinolones. It was first designed for cancer treatment. It acts on the DNA of the bacteria and is very known, together with Levaquin, to cause tendon ruptures. It also crosses the brain barrier and that's why some people have had issues with it.

I've been researching a lot about this two poisons and the general consensus is that when it comes to withdrawal cipro and benzos have to be treated the same way. Actually both drugs fight for the same GABA receptors in the brain, thats why in some articles they advice not to take them together. 

Most doctors say the same thing about the drug leaving your system in days. The issue is what damage they did while you were taking them.

My advice is to not panic. Get into a good natural diet. Get everything naturally from foods but most of all distract yourself and don't make this issue the center of your life.

Good luck!

Miguel

Thank you for sharing your experience and the good advice. I am trying my best to keep myself busy and cleaning up my diet. Eliminating sugar (NOT EASY) and eating more fruits and green vegetables. it could be too much for my system but I am sticking with it.

Saying “it’s out of your system in 24 hrs,” is like saying “a bullet passes through your body in less than a second - no big deal.”

I took antibiotics, not Cipro, and it set me back.

Which antibiotic set you back?

I had a psychotic episode brought on by Cipro. Cipro is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. My understanding is that we're supposed to stay away from them.

I had a psychotic episode brought on by Cipro. Cipro is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. My understanding is that we're supposed to stay away from them.

This is most critical if one is still on a benzodiazepine.

Hi camre!

Good luck!

Miguel

Very good post.

https://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/ANTIBIOTICS.htm  (It is not true that antibiotics leave the body in days. Residues can remain in the kidneys and liver for years.)

You should be fine of you took it short course. Some are not so lucky. I only recently learned the benzo-fluoroquinolone connection. I understood these drugs compete over the same receptors in the brain and can throw person into a withdrawal or make benzos not work. I'm facing a big dilemma myself as I propably need to take cipro to eradicate antibiotic resistant infection. And benzos are pretty much the only thing that help me sleep. So scares the life out of me of they don't work anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for all of the responses! This has been an ordeal but not as scary as what I went through in my withdrawal experience. Again thanks to everyone and Merry Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...
Cipro is not indicated for folks on benzos. It can put you in acute withdrawal. Look at the research. Apparently it competes with the benzo, like rendering it inert.  Check out the National Health Institute.