Thanksgiving in the Psychiatric Unit - Things looking up! 🙏

[Ja...]

Hi all,

Those here who know me know that about a year and a half ago my wife and I suddenly lost our 9 year old daughter. The doctors put me on Xanax to “help” with sleep while grieving. Well it backfired on me big time, I quickly became dependent and hit tolerance.

I spent last Thanksgiving, the first without our little girl, in the psychiatric unit withdrawing hard from Xanax while the doctors experimented on me like a guinea pig. I spent Thanksgiving gritting my teeth, shaking, pacing the entire day and night away, unable to eat, sleep, or even sit down for more than seconds at a time. This acute phase went on for months and I still have some symptoms a tear later.

I am so thankful to be spending this Thanksgiving with my wife and son. My wife got up early and went to the gym. I got up and gave my son a bath and surprised my wife by having him all ready to go. I ironed his clothes and combed his hair. I went to the store and bought myself a new pair of jeans. We’re all ready to go and are heading out to see the family. My appetite is back in a big way and I will be putting it to good use today. This is a tough season for us and I am so thankful to be able to be there for my wife today. I am so thankful to spend today with my son. Benzo withdrawal taught me to appreciate so many things I took for granted.

At lunch at work yesterday a one the of the guys mentioned being disappointed in his Thanksgiving last year. I thought for a second about my Thanksgiving last year. I said well, last year I spent Thanksgiving in the psych ward being tortured from the inside out and back in. I laughed. I am so thankful that I am not there.

Those of you who are still there, I have not forgotten. I am so sorry to those of you who are still where I was last year. It is okay if you don’t feel thankful today. I am thinking of all of you today. I have been there. I have been lower than most people will ever experience. Acute benzo withdrawal after such a tragic loss was unexplainable. I wanted to give up many times. I am thankful that I was blessed with the strength to push through. No, I am not completely healed yet, and yes I am still tapering Remeron but compared to where I have been this is a cakewalk lately.

The advantage to having reached rock bottom is that you can only move up from there. I have and will continue to do so.

I am thankful for everyone here who has helped me through all of this.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Your friend,

Jack

Thanks for your post Jack.  It reminded me just how powerful gratitude can be in our lives.  It's great to see you engaged and enjoying your life again.  Happy Thanksgiving!