Mirtazapine

[Ca...]

I am older, 65.  i am not sleeping. i started Mirtazapine.  is it making me more dizzy??  i have cognitive impairmeent from ativan updose, down dose, tolerance, etc.  but, can we discuss mirtazapine.  it's only thing allow me to sleep. :(  somewhat.  but, the next day, i don't know if my head mess is worse from THAT or from my taper.  :(  please anyone with any good or bad experience, care to comment?  i goofed up my calc on my tapering  a few weeks ago, and went down in dose too fast. :( it's hit mee like a ton of bricks. and, i had to go up in dose to last place i was ok.  i am in tolerance, so, it's not helping anxiety,,etc. but, i think it's got to do something .  i am suffering.  i still havee a year of this. and all alone. almost 66.  i am scared.  i just want my brain back. i want to be the person i was 2 years ago.  is it ok to take Mirt to help sleeep?  or is it making my already dizzy, floaty boat , confusion worse.

thankyou. i am so sorry for everyone going through this.  so very sorry.

Don’t take it... let your body heal. It’s added years of indescribable hell to my sentence.. nothing on the earth is worth taking that drug for. It’s very powerful..

I am older, 65.  i am not sleeping. i started Mirtazapine.  is it making me more dizzy??  i have cognitive impairmeent from ativan updose, down dose, tolerance, etc.  but, can we discuss mirtazapine.  it's only thing allow me to sleep. :(  somewhat.  but, the next day, i don't know if my head mess is worse from THAT or from my taper.  :(  please anyone with any good or bad experience, care to comment?  i goofed up my calc on my tapering  a few weeks ago, and went down in dose too fast. :( it's hit mee like a ton of bricks. and, i had to go up in dose to last place i was ok.  i am in tolerance, so, it's not helping anxiety,,etc. but, i think it's got to do something .  i am suffering.  i still havee a year of this. and all alone. almost 66.  i am scared.  i just want my brain back. i want to be the person i was 2 years ago.  is it ok to take Mirt to help sleeep?  or is it making my already dizzy, floaty boat , confusion worse.

First of all have you thought about doing a liquid taper instead of cutting pills.  Looking at what you have been doing... it seems like you are tapering very quickly, feeling like crap and updosing.  You have to taper VERY gradually if you want to minimize side effects.  I was in tolerance too and I started a liquid taper two years ago.  Very slow and consistent.  Updosing isn't good because it confuses your brain.  As far as Mirtazapine I started at 3.5 and gradually increased to  7.5 mg's almost a month ago and it's helped me tremendously.  I think in the last several weeks I have not slept once because I drank coffee before bed.  It's been a life saver for me because I wasn't sleeping hardly at all and my side effects from the taper were getting very bad.  I'm having good results with Mirt.  I'm exercising and changing my lifestyle habits because I'm getting sleep.  I'll deal with the Mirt after the Benzo is out of my system in two months.  :thumbsup:

Don’t underestimate the power of mirtazapine, the withdrawal is truly torturous...

First off... your signature is all over the place and it looks like you were on several very intense meds all at the same time.  That is probably why you don't feel good.  How do you even know that Mirtazapine is the culprit to your problems? You don't..  you are most likely guessing.  Secondly, I was already on Mirt once before and I tapered in three weeks with minimal side effects.  Everyone is different.  Just because something is difficult for you does not mean it will be difficult for another.  Right now I've chosen to take the risk and it's working for me.  I am sorry that you are struggling so badly with your meds but you should try being more positive instead of the potential of making others feel dread or fear because they are taking a med to help with Benzo tapering. 

Don’t underestimate the power of mirtazapine, the withdrawal is truly torturous...

First off... your signature is all over the place and it looks like you were on several very intense meds all at the same time.  That is probably why you don't feel good.  How do you even know that Mirtazapine is the culprit to your problems? You don't..  you are most likely guessing.  Secondly, I was already on Mirt once before and I tapered in three weeks with minimal side effects.  Everyone is different.  Just because something is difficult for you does not mean it will be difficult for another.  Right now I've chosen to take the risk and it's working for me.  I am sorry that you are struggling so badly with your meds but you should try being more positive instead of the potential of making others feel dread or fear because they are taking a med to help with Benzo tapering.

:thumbsup:

I’ll ditto this, too.  :thumbsup:

First of all have you thought about doing a liquid taper instead of cutting pills.  Looking at what you have been doing... it seems like you are tapering very quickly, feeling like crap and updosing.  You have to taper VERY gradually if you want to minimize side effects.  I was in tolerance too and I started a liquid taper two years ago.  Very slow and consistent.  Updosing isn't good because it confuses your brain.  As far as Mirtazapine I started at 3.5 and gradually increased to  7.5 mg's almost a month ago and it's helped me tremendously.  I think in the last several weeks I have not slept once because I drank coffee before bed.  It's been a life saver for me because I wasn't sleeping hardly at all and my side effects from the taper were getting very bad.  I'm having good results with Mirt.  I'm exercising and changing my lifestyle habits because I'm getting sleep.  I'll deal with the Mirt after the Benzo is out of my system in two months.

Mirtazapine helped me for awhile.  It’s worth a try in my opinion.  I’m no spring chicken...63 years old. 

@ Cathymp...As we get older our sleeping pattern changes.  I’m sure my sleeping has been highly impacted by benzo use.  I agree with @RaquelRocks.  Getting on a structured tapering schedule may help you stabilize.

Mirtazapine can make you dizzy the next day but I found it wears off after taking it for awhile.  You’re still on a high dose of Ativan and not stable so that could be contributing to your symptoms.

Try to take a few deep breaths every hour or so.  Try meditation.  There are many YouTube videos you can watch/listen to or there are apps you can download. Try to take some short daily walks.  Distract yourself with activities you enjoy.

Feel better soon.  All of us.

SG

💜

First of all have you thought about doing a liquid taper instead of cutting pills.  Looking at what you have been doing... it seems like you are tapering very quickly, feeling like crap and updosing.  You have to taper VERY gradually if you want to minimize side effects.  I was in tolerance too and I started a liquid taper two years ago.  Very slow and consistent.  Updosing isn't good because it confuses your brain.  As far as Mirtazapine I started at 3.5 and gradually increased to  7.5 mg's almost a month ago and it's helped me tremendously.  I think in the last several weeks I have not slept once because I drank coffee before bed.  It's been a life saver for me because I wasn't sleeping hardly at all and my side effects from the taper were getting very bad.  I'm having good results with Mirt.  I'm exercising and changing my lifestyle habits because I'm getting sleep.  I'll deal with the Mirt after the Benzo is out of my system in two months.  :thumbsup:

Meant to ‘ditto’ this one. They’re both great posts IMO.

First of all have you thought about doing a liquid taper instead of cutting pills.  Looking at what you have been doing... it seems like you are tapering very quickly, feeling like crap and updosing.  You have to taper VERY gradually if you want to minimize side effects.  I was in tolerance too and I started a liquid taper two years ago.  Very slow and consistent.  Updosing isn't good because it confuses your brain.  As far as Mirtazapine I started at 3.5 and gradually increased to  7.5 mg's almost a month ago and it's helped me tremendously.  I think in the last several weeks I have not slept once because I drank coffee before bed.  It's been a life saver for me because I wasn't sleeping hardly at all and my side effects from the taper were getting very bad.  I'm having good results with Mirt.  I'm exercising and changing my lifestyle habits because I'm getting sleep.  I'll deal with the Mirt after the Benzo is out of my system in two months.

Mirtazapine helped me for awhile.  It’s worth a try in my opinion.  I’m no spring chicken...63 years old. 

@ Cathymp...As we get older our sleeping pattern changes.  I’m sure my sleeping has been highly impacted by benzo use.  I agree with @RaquelRocks.  Getting on a structured tapering schedule may help you stabilize.

Mirtazapine can make you dizzy the next day but I found it wears off after taking it for awhile.  You’re still on a high dose of Ativan and not stable so that could be contributing to your symptoms.

Try to take a few deep breaths every hour or so.  Try meditation.  There are many YouTube videos you can watch/listen to or there are apps you can download. Try to take some short daily walks.  Distract yourself with activities you enjoy.

Feel better soon.  All of us.

SG

💜

Very nice!!!  :thumbsup::smitten:

Well I’m 70 and been on mirtazapine for 5 years. I gained a lot of weight and felt crappy on it so decided to get off. I’m still tapering. I am currently at 1.2mg taking it in liquid form. It’s HELL to get off of and I’ve been tapering slowly. I wake up every day feeling like I’ve been run over by a bus, 2-3x. It seems the lower I go the worse it gets. That’s my experience with it.

for all those that replied to me.  i AM tapering. i am slowly tapering vodka homemade water taper.  i am going slow. slow slow.  i made a mistake in my calculation about a month ago and dropped too  too too fast.  went from 3.30 to 3.10 in one day. :(  didn't realize it.  and a week later or so, it hit me upside the head.  bam!  but, i am back to tapering. i DID have to updose to where i last felt sort of ok.  3.30.  where i am now.  i am lowering it though, slowly.  i have cognitive impairment.    I AM NOT on 3.75 of ativan anymore, Praise Jesus for that.  i am on 3.30. now.  just dont know how to change my sig.

Well I’m 70 and been on mirtazapine for 5 years. I gained a lot of weight and felt crappy on it so decided to get off. I’m still tapering. I am currently at 1.2mg taking it in liquid form. It’s HELL to get off of and I’ve been tapering slowly. I wake up every day feeling like I’ve been run over by a bus, 2-3x. It seems the lower I go the worse it gets. That’s my experience with it.

I think I asked you this somewhere else and I only ask because I belong to a forum that deals with Gerd and stomach issues.  I see you are taking meds for your stomach.  The side effects of those can be similar to other meds.  How do you know it's the Mirt? Have you ever tried to taper off Mirt when you weren't taking those meds that you take?  I only ask because I've taken Mirt before and tapered very easily.  No side effects.  Also... yes the lower you go on Mirt the drowsier you will feel.  It's not like a Benzo unless you took it for years and it doesn't look like you did.  One thing that I have found that helps me is drinking a lot of water, eating healthy and exercising.  When I feel better about me... everything seems to be easier.  :thumbsup::smitten:

for all those that replied to me.  i AM tapering. i am slowly tapering vodka homemade water taper.  i am going slow. slow slow.  i made a mistake in my calculation about a month ago and dropped too  too too fast.  went from 3.30 to 3.10 in one day. :(  didn't realize it.  and a week later or so, it hit me upside the head.  bam!  but, i am back to tapering. i DID have to updose to where i last felt sort of ok.  3.30.  where i am now.  i am lowering it though, slowly.  i have cognitive impairment.    I AM NOT on 3.75 of ativan anymore, Praise Jesus for that.  i am on 3.30. now.  just dont know how to change my sig.

Good... yes you cannot taper off a Benzo too quickly.  It have taken me two years to get off this drug!!  ;):thumbsup: