Has Anyone Stabilized by Holding if you Tapered too Fast?

[in...]

I was wanting to hear from others who tapered too fast and symptoms escalated beyond what you could tolerate and tried holding dose to stabilize?  If so, how long did it take you to stabilize?

I have tapered too fast and symptoms (muscle Ticklishness, skin Burning, severe depression, hopelessness) have increased way too much for me.  I am now on day 21 holding at 8.0mg Valium.  I will microtaper from here down after I feel better.

I would so appreciate hearing from others holding has helped before resuming their taper.

Lots of people have. Check out the Long Hold Support Group. It doesn't always take a long time, but it may. And, unfortunately, it doesn't work for everyone. I think there is also the risk of pushing yourself into tolerance if you stay too long (not a few or several weeks) at the same dose. That said, I have held for some weeks before and had relief. I've also held some times that were particularly bad and didn't get relief in months. It's really, really important not to get ahead of yourself. I would say that the majority of people tend to get benefits from holds most of the time.

I was wanting to hear from others who tapered too fast and symptoms escalated beyond what you could tolerate and tried holding dose to stabilize?  If so, how long did it take you to stabilize?

I have tapered too fast and symptoms (muscle Ticklishness, skin Burning, severe depression, hopelessness) have increased way too much for me.  I am now on day 21 holding at 8.0mg Valium.  I will microtaper from here down after I feel better.

I would so appreciate hearing from others holding has helped before resuming their taper.

From my signature you can see that I hit a spot where I tapered too fast (for me) while micro tapering ... I didn't have to hold very long and when I started to feel less bad, I resumed cutting. Sometimes the best you can hope for is not feeling any worse.

I agree that you might of tapered too fast. I have had many good days on my current taper plan. When I first started, I went from 15mg v to 14mg. Held there for 2 and a half months. During that time, my symptoms constantly shuffled around. Then everything became much more manageable. I have since then, in June of this year, went down another 4mg. Currently it's catching up to me. Going to hold for w few months. I've definitely had better days when holding for weeks. Never really noticed that I got worse from a hold. Hope it works out for you!

Yes, I tapered too fast and got very sick and then held for 8 weeks and used Buspar and got stable.

I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences about taking tapering breaks!  This intuitively makes sense to correct any over rapid reductions the body has not been able to adjust to.  I am encouraged by all of your stories!

I’m going to hold a while till I feel more stable.  😊

I had to updose and hold for 6 months in 2017 when I was at my worst benzowise.  I have had lots of other holds due to an illness that developed around that time but I've never let myself get that Benzo sick again.

• 2 weeks later...
Like George, I had to updose and hold, for me it was because my son became very ill, I was in a new job, and I knew I had to be on top of my game, or as close to it as I could be, so I could be there for my son. I had enormous life stress between the fall of 2018 and now, including my mom falling and breaking her hip and another job change. I finally feel as if things are settling, still have issues with my son's health but I feel less depressed and anxious. When I have a bad day I now have perspective--it will not feel bad forever. Sleeping better. Stopped therapy. I have been holding for a little more than a year, and I do think it has taken this long hold to get back to a good place. I don't know when I will start to taper. My son is still not in a stable place medically so at this point I think I may wait until he is off to college--he is a junior in HS now. My dose is below where I started and that is all that matters at this point. For me, pushing through would have been disastrous, I was a total mess when I decided to updose and hold.

From my signature you can see that I hit a spot where I tapered too fast (for me) while micro tapering ... I didn't have to hold very long and when I started to feel less bad, I resumed cutting. Sometimes the best you can hope for is not feeling any worse.

Wow you’re tapering fast. R u a short term user?

[0f...]
Did anyone reinstate after a time to taper and become stable?  I m very sick and struggling immensely.  Just wanted to know.  Any positive response is greatly appreciated

No ... long, long time user of benzos - more than a decade. How long you're on benzos doesn't dictate how difficult your taper will be. I feel bad a lot of the time but I also don't feel worse if I cut, so I cut after giving myself a few days to sort of stabilize.

Did anyone reinstate after a time to taper and become stable?  I m very sick and struggling immensely.  Just wanted to know.  Any positive response is greatly appreciated

I completely reinstated twice (was not completely off either time) and was fine for many, many months. Then I became unstable I think mostly due to the death of my father. You can see in my signature that in 2018 I significantly updosed and am now holding. It has taken me a long time to feel mostly good but I feel like I am there now.

I once had to updose by 6 mg of Valium after I cut too fast and got pneumonia. I wish I didn’t have to as I lost many months tapering. But it worked. I wasn’t sure it would as I’ve heard sometimes it doesn’t. Not that I’m suggesting you do this it’s just what my doctor felt I had to do. I’m very sorry you are so sick. Benzos do suck. I know that now for sure.... :tickedoff:

[0f...]

Thanks Benzogirl

Hope you slept.  I got 7 hours.  Woke up a bit more gently.  You know that wd has a way with our brain sometime.  As much as I know I will not reinstate, it sure doesn't make it any easier.  What's done is done.  Can't change that. 

B

I hear you...I did sleep last night though I had many wake ups. I was very tired as I stayed up late going to an event downtown. I’ve turned into a real party animal....tonight I’ll likely be up......drat!

I started on Xanax in July 2019 and switched from about 1.0X-1.5X to 16.0Valium then dropped to 12.0 V in a week not knowing how addicted I was to Xanax.  I then tapered down to 8.0V in about a month where I began really crashing.  I debated updosing to calm my system but am trying to do a long hold at 8.0V instead.  I am doing a little better at day 34 of my hold.  Once I stabilize I plan to use water titration to taper.  I hope I am doing the right thing by just holding instead of updosing.  Any encouragement would be wonderful!