Has anyone tried .25 klonopin reduction a week?

[9c...]

[9c...]

Hi

My dr says standard protocol for short term usage of klonopin is to reduce by .25mg a week. So 1mg to .75mg to .5mg to .25mg to done. Has anyone tried this? I have been on klonopin .5mg 3x a week as needed for 4 months is this enough that I am addicted and need a slow taper?

Hi Liberati,

I was looking at your past posts, and see that you've been struggling to get off of various benzo's for a long time now, you should take your history into account when deciding how to approach your taper.  Four months isn't a long time for someone to be on benzo's, but it's more than enough time for your body to become dependent., especially when combined with your former use of Valium.

You can try to taper as your Dr suggests, that's certainly an option, and then if you run into problems, you can slow it down, hopefully with his support.  We'll support you whatever you decide.  :)

Pamster

Hi

My dr says standard protocol for short term usage of klonopin is to reduce by .25mg a week. So 1mg to .75mg to .5mg to .25mg to done. Has anyone tried this? I have been on klonopin .5mg 3x a week as needed for 4 months is this enough that I am addicted and need a slow taper?

I tried a .25mg reduction and was dying on the floor by day 3. 

The standard protocol is too fast and is based on nothing.  Slow and low is the way to go.  Check out information on tapers:  https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/

There is a difference between being addicted and physically dependent.  If you were taking it as prescribed, you are not addicted, you are physically dependent.  Be cautious about using "addiction" language as there is a lot of sensitivity around being wrongfully labeled as an addict - because we are not. 

[9c...]
You are so right. I apologize for using the word “addicted” which is not appropriate nor accurate for what people are going through and “physically dependent” is what is accurate. Thank you for pointing this out. I appreciate the link you shared as well. In my brain fog I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a liquid suspension and then what cuts to make and need all the help I can get