Alcoholic, 5 days CT Xanax 1mg 3x/day

[el...]

Hi there- I am on Day 5 of no Xanax cold turkey. I’ve taken it for almost two years- started out at 0.25mg 3x/day but steadily increased my dose to 1mg 3x/day.

As an alcoholic with 4 years sober on 1/1/2020 (God willing), I have the tools to overcome this. Like many alcoholics, I’m an all-or-nothing person with no impulse control, and I knew I couldn’t stick to a taper. But at the same time, I am shaking like crazy. My shoulders, neck, arms, back, etc. feel like they’re in a vise. The headaches, brain tremors, involuntary twitching, jaw clenching, and difficulty with forming sentences and talking normally, are concerning. If I had ever known this medicine would rock my world like this, I never, ever would’ve taken it.

In any case, it’s been 5 days benzo free. I don’t know how long these symptoms will last- some say a few days while others say YEARS. What should I expect? When will these dreadful symptoms subside for someone like me? I’m avoiding alcohol (obviously), caffeine, getting exercising every day, etc. - but I’m moving in a couple of weeks for a new job that I REALLY don’t want to screw up because my cognition is so poor.

Quitting alcohol was a walk in the park compared to stopping Xanax. Does anyone have any advice for me? I’m at a crossroads and I don’t know which way to turn. I want to crawl out of my skin and I just need this to be OVER.

Hi elboroom7,

I'm recovering as well, and while I didn't know benzo's needed to be tapered when I quit cold turkey, I figured I wouldn't have been able to taper due to my issues.  I'm going to be honest with you, this is going to get worse for awhile, not better.  This is going to take months, not days or weeks, and I hate to see you not be able to perform when you start your new job.

I see you were taking 1 mg 3x a day, that to me doesn't sound like you were abusing it.  Yes, your dose had increased, but you weren't taking handfuls of them, so I think you might want to reconsider your decision to cold turkey and reinstate and do a slow taper.  In my opinion, this is the only way you'll be able to move, start your new job and remain functional. 

I agree, quitting alcohol was a piece of cake compared with this, that had to do with mostly social aspects, habit and seeing life through a new perspective, but quitting benzo's is a life altering experience of emotional, mental and physical pain that tears us apart.

If you can get a steady supply of Xanax, or even a longer acting one like Klonopin, I feel you would be much better off tapering.  I hope you will consider this. 

Pamster

Hi there- I am on Day 5 of no Xanax cold turkey. I’ve taken it for almost two years- started out at 0.25mg 3x/day but steadily increased my dose to 1mg 3x/day.

As an alcoholic with 4 years sober on 1/1/2020 (God willing), I have the tools to overcome this. Like many alcoholics, I’m an all-or-nothing person with no impulse control, and I knew I couldn’t stick to a taper. But at the same time, I am shaking like crazy. My shoulders, neck, arms, back, etc. feel like they’re in a vise. The headaches, brain tremors, involuntary twitching, jaw clenching, and difficulty with forming sentences and talking normally, are concerning. If I had ever known this medicine would rock my world like this, I never, ever would’ve taken it.

In any case, it’s been 5 days benzo free. I don’t know how long these symptoms will last- some say a few days while others say YEARS. What should I expect? When will these dreadful symptoms subside for someone like me? I’m avoiding alcohol (obviously), caffeine, getting exercising every day, etc. - but I’m moving in a couple of weeks for a new job that I REALLY don’t want to screw up because my cognition is so poor.

Quitting alcohol was a walk in the park compared to stopping Xanax. Does anyone have any advice for me? I’m at a crossroads and I don’t know which way to turn. I want to crawl out of my skin and I just need this to be OVER.

keep at it I was abusing valium taking upto 70mg a day for 2 months (started on 15mg) and after 3 months of pushing myself to get better (exercising,even talking to people) like you I couldnt talk tidy and people looked at me like I was a idiot my anxiety was crippling and fear of everything was escalated I had over 50+ symptoms felt like I had dimensia and schizophrenia at the same time but anyway after 3 months I'm 95% back to normal and you know what? What a positive going through the withdrawal I feel stronger than I ever was my anxiety before the valium was alot worse than after it will strengthen you! Learn what your body and brain needs and nothing will stop you getting better. Would reccomend CBd oil (non psychoactive and non addictive) helps with sleep appetite and the anxiety and depression I believe it was a God send with my healing process. I'm not advertising this in any way but putting it out there for people to get better! Your on your way just dig deep like you did with the alcohol and you'll make it. Btw I have a addictive personality and I'm very impulsive so I couldnt do a taper either (tried from 70 mg to 40mg in four days and went cold Turkey) you'll get there brother have faith :thumbsup:

You just have to hang in there my friend. I was drinking everyday and addicted to Klonopin for a couple of years, I cold-turkeyed and underwent horrific withdrawal. There's isn't much you can do right now except wait it out and manage the symptoms. Like Pam said, it will get worse before it gets better. For me, my 6-8 week mark was the worst but I 'suffered' for about 8 months... However, the symptoms got increasingly better with time and more manageable and disappearing altogether.

The good news is that you're not permanently damaged and everything will go away if given enough time. Hang in there, you're not alone.

na-  :angel:

You just have to hang in there my friend. I was drinking everyday and addicted to Klonopin for a couple of years, I cold-turkeyed and underwent horrific withdrawal. There's isn't much you can do right now except wait it out and manage the symptoms. Like Pam said, it will get worse before it gets better. For me, my 6-8 week mark was the worst but I 'suffered' for about 8 months... However, the symptoms got increasingly better with time and more manageable and disappearing altogether.

The good news is that you're not permanently damaged and everything will go away if given enough time. Hang in there, you're not alone.

na-  :angel:

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
elboroom7, my journey mirrors yours quite a bit (10+ years of Xanex/1 ml up to 4x a day), except i don't have as much sobriety.  However, I am 6 months out of a rapid taper (3 weeks) in a detox unit.  And I am still reeling from the effects of the withdraw.  When I went back to my job I had worked at for 37 years, I could barely do it. Hope you fare better! Stay positive!

Hi elbo,

I appreciate your honesty.

My history is similar. I have had issues with alcohol all my life. And then I "met" benzos, in my first year after graduating from RN college. I had always had problems going to sleep, and benzos fixed that amazingly well, of course. So, THIS addictive personality continued to take benzos nightly for thirty damn years. No one told me that benzos could cause health problems, and no one told me how awful benzo wd can be. HUH! Now I know. I know this way too well.

Benzo wd was the worst thing I ever went through.

Pamster has given you a very good answer. So will I.

In the world of addictions medicine we are considered dual diagnosed. Not that this matters to one in the throes of a truly awful benzo wd.

Expect it to get worse before it gets better, okay?  Don't let this frighten you. Benzo wd can be endured, and the pay8 off is incredibly good. My current Blog is alsio my second Success Story. You might want to read some of it. I can tell you that nothing you are feeling or thinking is unusual, but you don't know that yet.

Please feel free to Private Message me.

east (Annie)

• 1 month later...
Pamster gave you really good advice. It took everything I had to hold onto my 5yr old job going threw C/T WD.  I can not imagine starting a new job in this process. Just know once you get past a certain point re instating will not make sense. So whatever decision you make be at peace with it. Good luck to you.