Advise--Valium--timing of doses

[bl...]

Howdy

Since transition from X to few weeks of C to V, I have been questioning my approach. Since tapers are not set in stone find myself questioning its practicality.

As you can see on my signature, I had to rapidly decrease in dosage under the mistaken belief that doc would not refill. Also, a relatively short term user.

I requested 2 mg refill--bottle states take one every 6 to 8 hours. Did not request higher dose because had not experienced a great deal of discomfort while on low dose for couple of weeks; wanted to give doc the impression that I was very serious about the taper. In hindsight 5 mg might have been better. However, have refills for two mg.

When I dropped X in July was experiencing those cruel interdose withdrawal symptoms all day long. They have resolved--thankfully and never want to experience such again. However, still feel a bit worried/uneasy and lethargic during the day. Got the eye twitch off and on--mostly on likely imperceptible to others. Some mornings I feel better than others. Today just uneasiness--not anxious or restless just lazy and worried about my taper.

The Ashton method emphasizes --- there is no standard taper --- all individualized by trial and error.

Decided a few days ago once script was refilled to go up to 4 mg BD and then increased yesterday to 5 mg BD. That is .25 x equivalent a big drop from a few months ago at 1.5 x mg per day (for four months).

My drop in past few weeks has been fairly substantial given low dosage use. And V has the long half life.

Ashton states this: "Valium has a far longer half-life than most other benzodiazepines ... This allows for a steady, smooth reduction in dose over time. It also permits you to take your dose less often. In some cases, you can take your entire daily dosage before bedtime. This reduces problems of micro-managing your dose by taking another pill every few hours. It also can aid in sleep, which can be a large issue during withdrawal."

I do use for sleep along with 50 mg trazadone. And had no sleep issues with the 2.5 mg V as listed on signature. (In fact, began using X for sleep the regular benzo based and Z sleeping pills were not helpful an  had daytime anxiety/restlessness.)

Admit I have become increasing concerned--"am I approaching the taper properly."

Now the question: Should I consider increasing dose to 6 mg per day--by adding a 2 mg morning dose and maintain a 4 mg BD. If such does not sabotage the success of my taper. 

And begin tapering between the evening and daytime dose every 10 days or so week or so in cycles until down to the 1 mg night time threshold.

I am apprehensive about even trying this option--without some advice from knowledgeable members.

Thank you a great deal for reading.

Appreciate positive feedback.

Hope I am addressing this question in correct forum

Cheers

Bear in mind it takes at least two full weeks ( I have read as long as a month) to fully feel the effects of Valium, so in my opinion you may be unnecessarily increasing your dose. In your situation I would stick to 2mg every twelve hours.  A long-acting benzodiazepine should not need to be taken every six hours, IMO.

Have you developed some increasing withdrawal symptoms and that’s why you’re increasing?

The higher you go in dose, the longer the eventual taper. I’d try to keep it as low as I could.

Bear in mind it takes at least two full weeks ( I have read as long as a month) to fully feel the effects of Valium, so in my opinion you may be unnecessarily increasing your dose. In your situation I would stick to 2mg every twelve hours.  A long-acting benzodiazepine should not need to be taken every six hours, IMO.

Have you developed some increasing withdrawal symptoms and that’s why you’re increasing?

The higher you go in dose, the longer the eventual taper. I’d try to keep it as low as I could.

Surprisingly during the 10 day sudden drop did not have many symptoms. Of course, did not feel great (a bit foggy, eye twitching away, lethargic) but nothing like those nasty X interdose withdrawals after four months of use.

Suppose I have read "in" too much on the forum concerning tapering and have unnecessarily worried myself.

Think--I shall continue with 4 mg at PM, (a few weeks ago I was taking 12.5 mg BT) and skip any daytime use as have done last two days. And if necessary use a 2 mg daytime.

Originally, had anticipated a fairly rapid taper. So many nuances with many of the tapering regimes, e.g., micro-titration etc. And so many signatures show months and sometimes years of tapering. Basically, just got worried about tapering properly. 

Thank you for support. Do not want to do anything that might sabotage my efforts.

I'll say this--my spelling is dreadful--think that is a symptom easily fixed via the dictionary. 

Cheers--thank you Challis99 for your support.