How much does 1.5 mg of klonopin equal in valium?

[Py...]

According to the Ashton substitution tables, 1.5 mg of Klonopin equals 30 mg of Valium. 

When I switched over from .5 mg of Klonopin, I switched to 20 mg of Valium.

According to the Ashton substitution tables, 1.5 mg of Klonopin equals 30 mg of Valium. 

I bet that wasn’t fun....... :)

I bet that wasn’t fun....... :)

Typo alert.  I switched from  1 mg Klonopin to 20 mg of valium--not the .5 mg of Klonopin that I wrote in my post.

What I meant to write was that I switched from taking .5 klonopin, taken twice a day to 10 mg of valium taken twice a day.  That information is in my forum signature.

Actually, the switchover was easy *for me.*.  I had suddenly started having strange paradoxical effects from the Klonopin and anxiety attacks that I had not had since switching from xanax over two years prior.  With the Xanax I had been getting interdose withdrawal.  Once I switched to the longer acting Klonopin they immediately ceased.  Then suddenly after being on the Klonopin for a bit over two years I started getting anxiety attacks.  Shortly after I took 10 mg of valium in the morning instead of my morning dose of .5 mg Klonopin and felt fine.  I was worried about switching too quickly and took my evening dose of .5 mg Klonopin.  Within about two hours I felt a lower level anxiety attack.  The next day I went straight to 10 mg of valium twice a day.  Other than being shook up about the sudden onset of anxiety attacks, I felt fine.  I switched over from Klonopin to Valium at a far quicker rate than recommended in Ashton's book and did okay. 

I don't get it how can such a small amount of klonopin be equal to so much valium? I was taking 2 mg of Ativan and switched over to only 5 mg of valium and have been tapering that now. My doctor told me she could not give me more than 5mg of valium by law. I've been a little miserable with all this.

It's like how a shot of 80 proof whiskey is not the same is a shot of 190 proof Everclear. Or to take the analogy a step further, it's like how a glass of beer is not the same as a glass of liquor. One is just more potent than the other, even if the "pill" or the "shot' or the "glass" are the same "size." Klonpin came after valium and one of its selling points was it was more potent. The same is true of Ativan.

So your 2 mg of Ativan was basically the equivalent (according to Ashton's crossover scale) of 20mg of Valium. If you went straight from 2mg of Ativan to 5 mg of of Valium then you took an enormous drop. I can't speak to why your doctor chose to do this. Mine made a similar choice purely out of ignorance, which she later admitted to. I am amazed that you say you have only "been a little miserable with all this." Maybe your body handled such a steep drop better than most people would. If so, that is something to be happy about. Some people can handle large drops in the very beginning; it's all a mystery.

As to your doctor saying that this was the most she should could give you by law...perhaps you have special circumstances...but on the face of it this is absurd. I have heard a lot of strange things from doctors, but the idea that she could only give you 5mgs by law is nonsense. She could give you 200mgs by law if she wanted to. She has complete discretion.

So, either you have some special circumstances that I can't even imagine existing anywhere on earth, or your doctor lied to you. Or she really believes that and is therefor very confused as to how the low works, or was experiencing a moment of psychosis herself. My guess, is that she lied to you to get you to comply with her wishes. Maybe there is an explanation that others can see?

I don't get it how can such a small amount of klonopin be equal to so much valium? I was taking 2 mg of Ativan and switched over to only 5 mg of valium and have been tapering that now. My doctor told me she could not give me more than 5mg of valium by law. I've been a little miserable with all this.

I’m the same as quiet. Your doctor makes no sense to me. Unless there IS a special circumstance......

Quiet,

Thank you for the response. In all reality when I first realized all this craziness was do to the ativan i started on the 5 mg of valium and started tapering the ativan. There are days I do not get out of bed and the withdrawals are horrible. I wish I would have known 2mg of ativan was equal to 20 of valium. Maybe I wouldn't be so miserable now. I dont know why she won't prescribe more than 5mg at a time. I think these are her own rules to stay in the safe zone I guess.