Has anyone taken fluoroquinolones while on benzos without issues?

[Ch...]

I'm in a very difficult situation. I have to take cipro to clear out resistant infection (that has caused me insomnia and I can't sleep without benzos.) So I can't taper yet..I have read all about the fluoroquinolones/benzo interaction although only recently found out about this. Are everyone going to go into withdrawal or have benzos stop working or have some actually managed to take both without these issues? Can increasing the benzo dose temporarily help?

[32...]
I don't know the answer to your question but i would move heaven and earth to find another AB, my mother took Cipro and was bedridden for 6 months afterwards with severe neuropathy and confusion (and she wasn't even on a benzo)  If there is absolutely nothing you can try (or have tried them all) then yes you will have to take the Cipro because a resistant infection has its own problems. I've read posts where other buddies have taken it and been ok, hopefully they will chime in. I don't think increasing the benzo dose will make any difference except to give you a longer taper, but that's just my opinion. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks for your reply. I'm so sorry about your mum. I'm aware of the risks with fluoroquinolones but not sleeping is what scares me the most. As time has passed the infection and my insomnia has gotten worse. I'm not in danger (yet) but I am very sick.

I have taken cipro a few times in my life without issues for uti but I know that doesn't mean anything. And in reality fluoroquinolones are my only choice.

tobramycin or gentamicin but I have no way of getting them and they are dangerous too and don't absorb via stomach.

Why do you have no way of getting them? Your doc can't prescribe them?

Re tobramycin:

This medication is used to treat eye infections. Tobramycin belongs to a class of drugs called aminoglycoside antibiotics. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria. This medication treats only bacterial eye infections.

In any event, about your Cipro quesionn: I took Cipro during my taper and was made extremely ill. It took me about a month to get back to normal tapering. Many ppl on here have found themselves in the same boat.  It's just not a nice drug. Analogy: hitting a fly with a sledge-hammer. Cipro is way over-prescribed. And I have never heard that increasing your benzo will help the awful s/x of Cipro.

About benzos and Cipro:

Fluoroquinolones include Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Levaquin (levofloxacin), and Avelox (moxifloxacin). ... In this case, the fluoroquinolones block the benzodiazepine leading to acute withdrawal in those who are dependent on the benzo

I recently had to take a very strong AB for an infection connected with diverticulitis. The ER's go-to drug was Cipro but when I told them I was allergic  8) they found another one -- augmentin.

Can you look around (or have your doc look around better yet) for another AB?

btw, here's how antibiotics are absorbed:

When you swallow an antibiotic pill or liquid, it enters your digestive tract and is absorbed into the blood stream just as nutrients are from food. From there, it circulates throughout the body, soon reaching its target area, where pathogenic bacteria are causing an infection

Are you looking for something that isn't absorbed through the stomach, like an injectible?

I admit to being confused but hope you can get your meds straightened out.

Katz

Sorry if my post was too confusing.

Well long story short gentamicin and tobramycin aren't usually prescribed for what I have but there's some studies on them working. Needs to be iv or inhaled to absorb. Inhaled won't help as my infection is systemic. Iv can be highly toxic too. And no dr will prescribe them. Lymies already have a hard time getting antibiotics.

I have tried all other suitable antibiotics and natural ones (herbs).

I've read some people that have taken cipro for decades without issues (like with cystic fibrosis) and some get devastating side-effects after only few pills. The benzo interaction is very new to me but not the side-effects risks. So many what if's..if I had gotten cipro way earlier I might have been able to taper off my benzo and use some other med for sleep while on cipro.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2017/10/12/hidden-dangers-of-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-in-the-benzodiazepine-dependent-population/ I actually read this article that said if a benzo dependant person absolutely needs to take fluoroquinolones the dose should be increased. I imagine it's to replace the benzos the FQs have blocked from the binding site? Not sure..So to avoid the withdrawal but not so much help with the possible floxing symptoms. But how to know if it's withdrawal or floxing alone. I'm also afraid the benzos stop working and I loose the little sleep I have with them.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience like so many others. I agree it has been and still is overprescribed.