Anyone had a lumbar puncture?

[Aj...]

Hi,

I've never had one during withdrawal. However, I had one in my early 20s. I'm a pretty big guy, and apparently they're more difficult to do with bigger people.

Anyway, they took two jabs at my spine and I guess they made a big hole that leaked cerebrospinal fluid. I was confined to bed for three weeks with headaches that made me dry heave with pain if I stood up. When you don't have enough CSF, your brain pulls on the blood vessels on the inside of your skull. The only thing that made it better was lying down. It was brutal.

I think my situation was rare, so don't think it's the norm. But in my current condition, I would only do it if it was pressing. If it were optional, I would skip it. Your and your doctor's call.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Cheers

Matt

Pre-benzo use I had 8 lumbar punctures for chemotherapy 4 years ago. They weren't that bad actually. If you get one, make sure they use an x-ray to watch what they're doing. They make you lie flat for an hour afterwards. They took fluid out, and then they added the chemotherapy agent, so I didn't have any change in fluid. But they said to watch for headaches.

Thanks both.

I can’t lie flat. Haven’t been able to since 2001 even on the Benzos. Now can’t even do it with legs up on cushions without pulling up into head and crushing. All why was on Benzos in first place.

Also have hypermobility Syndrome probably Ehlers Danlos which worries me with lumbar puncture.

My Neuro is doing it himself. He said he doesn’t trust other ppl to do them because so many went wrong.

Will discuss it all with him.

He wants to check for autoimmune encephalitis, Aracnoiditis and a load of other stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Well had this today. Seems to have gone well. Sore but in in so much pain anyway hard to tell what is what.

Did cry hysterically in hospital because was terrified of a painting on the wall and on the way there because the cars looked like they were alive and had snarling teeth and all the buildings looked like they were going to collapse.

Well done Adjusta for making to the hospital and getting your lumbar puncture done . I hope they manage to find something to help you. It's so hard for you I know,

Jen 

Glad you made it through the procedure without problems. Understand the fear. Everything seems much worse with the wd. So sorry for your health issues.

You mentioned possible encephalitis and the visual hallucinations- what does the doctor say about these? Please post your outcome (if you're comfortable) as we would like to offer support through this tough time.

Praying for a good outcome on the lumbar puncture.

Neuro says not real psychosis but brain issues from WD but is making sure not encephalitis etc.

My main problem is muscles crushing body which was why was on Benzos, as well as all sr ses derrsnged and loss of sensation through body and constant uncontrollable eating like zi am being remote co trolled and have no control at all.

Scared have frontal dementia.