Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Has anyone tapered off long-term corticosteroid/prednisone use?

[ge...]

I see that the bulk of the discussion is regarding psychotropic medications, but a big part of my recovery journey is getting myself off of long-term prednisone use.  I'm looking for any kind of advice I can get, preferably natural/herbal remedies.  My doctor is in no rush to get me off this med, even though it's causing more anxiety, a weak immune system, among a host of other nasty effects.  He actually said he had no issue with me being on it for two more years.  No way!  I know I need to get off this as soon as my benzo withdrawal symptoms subside.  I started taking high-doses daily as a part of my treatment plan for sarcoidosis, an autoimmune affecting the lungs, usually manifesting as masses of inflammatory cells collecting in the lungs.  Whereas the med seems to have helped in the first year, now I am physically dependent on it.  I've tried tapering off twice now, but the chest pain just got too severe, and I was forced to up my dose back up and lose all the ground I'd taken.  With the Remeron and Ativan out of the picture finally, I hope tapering off prednisone can be a possibility in the near future.